Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror 😳

kirkster501

I thought the pallets for the sunshield were coming down at 2.7 days which would have been at about six this morning UK time.  Hope there isn't an issue since we have gone past that....  Then again, they are probably doing due diligence so I remind myself that patience Grasshopper, patience...🀣

From Twitter:

NASA Webb Telescope

@NASAWebb

12h

It’s been a busy evening! Not only did we just complete our second burn, but #NASAWebb also passed the altitude of the Moon as it keeps cruising on to the second Lagrange point to #UnfoldTheUniverse. Bye,

@NASAMoon

Β 

I have read a few recent Webb articles from NASA, as well as ESA.
On the sun shield, NASA are still talking Fahrenheit. ESA Kelvin or Celsius - like the rest of the world.

Given the many earth bound and space borne precedents for hiccups to disasters when units are mixed, including Hubble, I can't help but worry.

4 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I have read a few recent Webb articles from NASA, as well as ESA.
On the sun shield, NASA are still talking Fahrenheit. ESA Kelvin or Celsius - like the rest of the world.

Given the many earth bound and space borne precedents for hiccups to disasters when units are mixed, including Hubble, I can't help but worry.

That is a scary thought!

3 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Forward Pallet Structure Lowered, Beginning Multiple-Day Sunshield Deployment

Β 

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/12/28/forward-pallet-structure-lowered-beginning-multiple-day-sunshield-deployment/

Without the pallets lowered there is no mission since the secondary can't deploy.Β  Even if the sunshield doesn't work, there is still a [degraded] mission of sorts but the secondary \has\Β  to deploy.

18 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Are we likely to see any JWST solar or lunar transits? :)

Β 

Solar transits yes I would think so but not lunar as the JWST will be much further away than the moon.

Seeing the moon occult the JWST should be possible.

4233D225-CE94-419E-AB0A-1EA502BBB2F1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Solar transits yes I would think so but not lunar as the JWST will be much further away than the moon

How could JWST transit the Sun when it’s always going to be positioned on the opposite side of the Earth from it? I imagine the most that might be seen is it being occulted but the Moon as you said. I doubt it will be very bright though, anyone know what the expected final magnitude is likely to be?