Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror 😳

kirkster501

19 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

It's a shame there aren't more "webcam" style cameras on it so we can see what is going on.  I am sure they considered it but I think JWST is complex enough without adding extra none-essential stuff like that on board.

I would have thought lots of cameras to be vital in case they had to "work through" a problem that could arise.

Alan

26 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I would have thought lots of cameras to be vital in case they had to "work through" a problem that could arise.

Alan

Yes indeed.  There are plenty of them that could still arise too.  Without tempting fate though, yesterday was a major hurdle. Rockets can and do blow up on the launch pad as we all know.  The earlier MCC burn was crucial too.  Shows the fuel systems are working and pressurised.

Some great pictures here:

Newest! Webb in Kourou, French Guiana | Flickr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the photos link. I’m presuming it’s got more hard scientific telemetry than you can shake a stick at, but maybe NASA doesn’t have the same YouTube generation PR mindset that seems to exist over at SpaceX.

• Like 1

Now that the excitement and butterflies in the stomach feeling brought on by launch has subsided, it seems a bit surreal that this magnificent piece of engineering is finally where it belongs. Over the years I have watched every video I could find, read every scrap I could dig up online, and thought about someone coming along and scrapping the project for some reason. Now there is no turning back, no more daydreaming about launch being so far off I may never see it, someone pinch me (not too hard I bruise easy).

• Like 4

Yes, when I watched that huge piece of super high technology coasting away into the blackness of space all on it’s own, I sort of understood why the scientists and engineers took so long getting it ready for that moment.

• Like 2

A lot to test and a lot to go wrong. They would have tested it within an inch of its life but at some point they have to commit. They said that even in tests, very occasionally the sunshield didn’t fully work.

On the ground it was consuming millions of dollars per day too, even more when in Kourou. Fingers crossed for the next few days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

A lot to test and a lot to go wrong. They would have tested it within an inch of its life but at some point they have to commit. They said that even in tests, very occasionally the sunshield didn’t fully work.

On the ground it was consuming millions of dollars per day too, even more when in Kourou.

Almost as much as Bruce Willis or Dwayne Johnson would earn.
For chasing it down and hitting it with a large wrench in the middle an asteroid storm!  :icon_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, tomato said:

Spare a thought for all those technicians in bunny suits fussing around it every day for that last ten years or so, what are they going to do now?

There is the next space telescope project. the Nancy Grace Roman Telescope 

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/about-nancy-grace-roman-space-telescope

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Following the 'Where is Webb' site. Amazing to see how rapidly the distance is increasing.

Shame the default settings for a science site are miles and °F though (you can change it). I do hope they haven't mixed up imperial and metric when constructing it like has happened before :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1