NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

35 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Could someone do me a favour and measure the diameter of that central "well"?

Also, does that 3/8" bolt in the picture push up from where it's shown, above the level of the top flange?

well diameter is 60mm and yes the bolt does push up to engage with whatever you put on top. Pushes up by circa 10mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pixies said:

The HEQ5 tripod has an M10 bolt (as well as the alignment pin). The AZ Gti mount has a 3/8" bolt.

However, there is an adapter:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html

I use an eq6 tripod with my GTi and use the flo adapter just like the above. I normally look for diy solutions, but felt that I would benefit from the stability of the dedicated adapter. Works well. 

On 28/08/2022 at 18:07, Adam J said:

Honestly if it's that noisy then it's probably binding or needs new grease as mine is perfectly acceptable for late night garden use. 

I've owned three AZGTIs and they were all wince inducingly noisy when using goto. As Zermelo described, neighbours in close proximity with windows open is always a concern. In comparison my much sturdier Celestron AVX is nowhere near as loud.

15 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I've owned three AZGTIs and they were all wince inducingly noisy when using goto. As Zermelo described, neighbours in close proximity with windows open is always a concern. In comparison my much sturdier Celestron AVX is nowhere near as loud.

Am shocked to hear that. But I did re-grease it from the get go. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

On my mount there's a big difference in noise between the top speeds (7/8/9) and the rest. That's why it's fustrating that Synscan doesn't let you set a maximum. I'd be quite happy to wait a minute or more for a goto if it were doing it quietly.

• Like 1

My second question...

So for a basic imaging rig (EQ) what do I need software wise as it has been years since I imaged.

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

Synscan handset from original heq5 mount (must be 5years old now)

-----

So if I use the gti would any of the above be useful. The heq5 is just too much of a faff to get out. I want portable and lightweight.

I used to image with the heq5 using PhD etc and so understand the concept of guiding etc but I am a looooong time out of the game so just need to know the BASIC kit I need to get going... I don't need to go for asiais or advanced setups immediately.

Edited by beamer3.6m

5 hours ago, beamer3.6m said:

My second question...

So for a basic imaging rig (EQ) what do I need software wise as it has been years since I imaged.

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

-----

So if I use the gti would any of the above be useful. The heq5 is just too much of a faff to get out. I want portable and lightweight.

I used to image with the heq5 using PhD etc and so understand the concept of guiding etc but I am a looooong time out of the game so just need to know the BASIC kit I need to get going... I don't need to go for asiais or advanced setups immediately.

I use an asiair pro so cannot comment on a laptop set up. But somethings may help. You'll need a guidescope, an EQ dir cable for the az gti. A counterweight bar a weights. I've used 2 star adventurer weights and a m10 bolt that's 40cm long from online auction site. An EQ wedge (star adventurer or William Optics) I expect you could use the software sharpcap or NINA to control your mount and image taking and maybe the synscan software.

I'm not sure the weight that your set up will be with the 130pds. Though with my set up I'm totalling 6kgs. I'm sure someone will be along who uses a laptop with their az gti shortly. Sorry I can't help more. 

Lee 

IMG_20220827_130747.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

13 hours ago, beamer3.6m said:

My second question...

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

-----

The biggest issue I had when using a laptop and DSLR was polar aligning.  There is no built in polar scope on the AZGTi.  I found it frustrating to the point of either giving up or buying an ASIair (I bought the ASIair).  Other people’s mileage may vary of course, that’s just my experience.

iirc you can install the synscan app onto a laptop to control goto and tracking so no need to use the handset (or install the app onto your phone/tablet and use wirelessly).  Sharpcap for guiding.  I believe NINA also works with the gti but I’ve never tried it.

(Thinking about it you won’t be able to use a hand controller anyway because you’ll need the hand control port on the AZGTi to connect to your laptop using a cable such as this one from FLO).

Assuming you want to image DSOs you’ll also need an equatorial wedge and update the AZGTi’s software so it’ll work in equatorial mode.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beamer3.6m said:

My second question...

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

-----

Technically you don't need any software as you can use the azgtis in built sidereal function though I think you'll struggle a bit with it, especially at longer focal lengths. Maybe worth a try, you can use an intervalometer with the dslr. An Asiair isn't really very technical to use, it's a simplified setup compared to pc software, it's literally plug and play and transformed my imaging, but you'll need a zwo guidecam for it, the DSLRs should work with it if you check the dslr compatibility list. The 130pds I found was a big long for the mount (ie any breeze and it's a sail like wind bucket for causing it to move).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 09:14, beamer3.6m said:

My second question...

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

-----

If your happy to use the above equipment outside then perhaps use the laptop and Sharpcap for image capture and PA (on paid for version).  You can then start capturing unguided until you are ready to get back into guided.

If you want to sit indoors whilst imaging then it's either long leads  etc or a small computer for outside with wifi/network connection to indoors.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 09:14, beamer3.6m said:

My second question...

I have the following:

Laptop

Canon 400d

Canon 350d

Qhy5 guide cam

Various cables

130pds

-----

My two penneth worth:

I started out imaging because of the AZ Gti EQ capability when paired with the ASI Air Plus (£320 new). I didn't want weight or faff, the Air+ is a game changer as far as imaging goes, polar alignment is easy peasy and the combo of the Gti and air+ meets my requirements perfectly. (I can pick the whole rig up one handed)

It (the air+) is compatible with your canons, so no need for a new camera, think it is also compatible with your guide so the only thing extra you need is a guide scope. ( Astro Essentials 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope | First Light Optics ) £59 quid new and a cable or 2 maybe.

I realise it is all extra expenditure but you will get the best out of your existing kit, with the right new bit of kit.

One other thing which I am sure you are aware of is weight. Your setup would be touching AZ Gti limits, maybe even slightly over so good balancing is a must. (As mentioned you will need a counter balance bar and 2kg of weight for the PDS)

Steve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beamer3.6m said:

From looking at Google it seems that the asiair is not compatible with qhy cameras for guiding... is that correct???

5 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes that is correct, you need a zwo camera for guiding. 

Lee 

Sorry my bad, I thought I read different, sorry for confusion. 

ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Camera | First Light Optics  £149, best thing is it's very lightweight

• Like 1

Have AZ-GTI internals changed? My new one seems slightly heavier.

It worked for a quick solar session this lunch, but I am testing the new mount to destruction on Polaris tonight. For some reason Polaris would trigger Alt runaway in a minute or two. I'll be very happy if it tracks for an hour. Maybe I will get a pretty picture out of it too.

I haven't updated the firmware yet...

• Like 2

Skywatcher have updated the firmware for the az gti to 3.40 it can be found here for anyone wishing to update. 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

The blub with it says its been updated to work better with the synscan/Pro app to work better. 

I think there's a firmware update for those in az mode above it. 

I still haven't updated from 3.36 and won't be yet. 

Lee 

Screenshot_20220903_150436.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

Hello my fellow astronomers.

I just sold my Star Adventurer kit and with it, i had to give also the mounting plate (see below picture highlighted in yellow) which i used with my AZ-GTi. Since then, i have spent almost every day trying to figure out how on earth i could mount the AZ-GTi on the WO Wedge. I even contacted FLO and they suggested the following dovetail bar (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html) and i bought the short one.

The issue i am having is that after i screw it tightly in the 3/8" using the relevant adaptor, i cannot secure it on azimuth axis as it keeps spinning unless i find a way to also put the secure screw.

Any idea/ advice/ suggestion will be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

mount.jpg

1 hour ago, George Sinanis said:

Hello my fellow astronomers.

I just sold my Star Adventurer kit and with it, i had to give also the mounting plate (see below picture highlighted in yellow) which i used with my AZ-GTi. Since then, i have spent almost every day trying to figure out how on earth i could mount the AZ-GTi on the WO Wedge. I even contacted FLO and they suggested the following dovetail bar (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html) and i bought the short one.

The issue i am having is that after i screw it tightly in the 3/8" using the relevant adaptor, i cannot secure it on azimuth axis as it keeps spinning unless i find a way to also put the secure screw.

Any idea/ advice/ suggestion will be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

mount.jpg

I bought the 18cm one and once I bolted it into my az gti it was real tight. Also what I did was put a strip of black hockey stick tape along the dovetail bar, it provides a good rough surface for the az gti to bind on my az gti and dovetail bar are now connected together well with no movement. I think some of the tacky ness of the tape has seeped through to provide an even stronger bond. 

Fodlon Hockey Stick Tape,Non Slip Hockey Grip Tape, Self-Adhesive Ice Hockey Tape, Sweat Absorbent Grip Cloth Tape for Hockey, Squash Racket, Badminton Grip,Skipping Rope,Fishing Rod https://amzn.eu/d/410u82W

I don't use a thumbscrew bolt that goes into the divot on the RA plate. Sorry I don't have a good photo.

Lee 

IMG_20220827_130747.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Took delivery of one of these today:

16623783693828750691119976970642.thumb.jpg.c002aef23beaaf4b3d3365f498ef929f.jpg

Really pleased with it so far. The four rubber pads to grip the AZ-GTI base are a nice touch, and the arm to hold the polar scope is thicker than I expected and very robust. It seems there is even a couple of mm clearance between the GTI  base and dovetail clamp bolt. It is also designed so that it can't slip out of the dovetail.

Just a shame it only comes in blue!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ags said:

Not sure about UK suppliers.

@beamer3.6m I’ll happily sell you mine for £20 plus postage.  6DD458AF-7F34-4580-8FF2-FD930802293E.thumb.jpeg.eb515cc40c708336e5ad06e1ee5ed71f.jpeg285B3B8D-944A-4A3C-A419-B3082B655640.thumb.jpeg.fbb6029d1c4696053b93a637759dd6d3.jpeg Main bolt slot is a tiny bit knarled but fully functioning.  I have never really used it as I only intended to use the dovetail part but then ended up using a longer set up so I could balance the mount more centrally over the tripod.  If you are interested in using the polar scope bit then it may make more sense for your rig.

1 hour ago, Priesters said:

@beamer3.6m I’ll happily sell you mine for £20 plus postage.  6DD458AF-7F34-4580-8FF2-FD930802293E.thumb.jpeg.eb515cc40c708336e5ad06e1ee5ed71f.jpeg285B3B8D-944A-4A3C-A419-B3082B655640.thumb.jpeg.fbb6029d1c4696053b93a637759dd6d3.jpeg Main bolt slot is a tiny bit knarled but fully functioning.  I have never really used it as I only intended to use the dovetail part but then ended up using a longer set up so I could balance the mount more centrally over the tripod.  If you are interested in using the polar scope bit then it may make more sense for your rig.

Does this include the polar scope also?