NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Hi all @Elp pointed me in this direction thanks.

I'm thinking of getting an AZGTI mount to use with a DSLR camera which i need to get as well and later on maybe a scope once i understand how to process the image's.

Is it just literally set it up point to where you want and it will track. Are they easy to set up and use 

Is there anything else i would need to buy like power bank and lead's , EQ wedge etc

Any more help would be appreciated .

Thanks dave

Edited by Dave scutt

The azgti was designed as an alt az goto mount with the scope mounted on the LHS pointing north at startup. Skywatcher added the function via a firmware update (it's easy to do, the files can be downloaded from skywatchers website) whereby when mounted onto an EQ wedge it could also be operated in EQ mode, after the firmware update in alt az mode the scope is attached to the RHS of the mount pointing north at startup.

It has in built tracking functions, sidereal, lunar, solar etc, in its most basic use function (mount only, operating in alt az) you start by pointing the mount with scope to true north, scope is parallel to the ground, switch the power on. With the downloaded synscan pro app to a mobile device all the mount functions are on the app which you can control wirelessly via your phone's WiFi and the WiFi being cast by the mount itself. If you've done the firmware update, once connected via WiFi to the mount (your mobile devices location function needs to be on also so the mount knows where you're located in the world) and opening the app it will ask you whether you are operating the mount in alt az or EQ mode, select which one and then you'll be on the main screen. You then need to do a 1/2/3 star alignment, you'll be presented with a few star options to align to for each alignment star. Once it's done it'll have a better idea of mount alignment. There's then a list in the app of celestial targets to choose from and goto. I would like to point out that for me personally, it's goto function can be a little bit off but I guess it depends on how much time you spend aligning, other people have better results, but I don't mind considering the price of the mount.

EQ mode generally works the same but you need the following additional equipment for it to work in a basic mode:

1. Equatorial wedge, a few to choose from. From my personal experience having used four different ones and ease of polar alignment they go in this order first being best and typically highest price: William Optics, Ioptron, Skywatcher, TS Optics mini.

2. Some way of polar aligning. Others can contribute as there's many ways in which to do this though most of us now use a form of computer method with a camera (Eg asiair), you can get a bracket to attach a polar scope to if you want to do this manually for now. I have found also using a compass with a declination scale on it to find true north, paired with a digital inclinometer for the altitude angle gets you quite close to polaris to start off with. Depending on your DSLR focal length you can have a less accurate polar alignment and still get good results.

3. You may (you can probably get away with it with just a DSLR on top) require a counterweight bar and weight, check on the azgti you get within the altitude clutch knob (the larger one) in the centre is a hole, it should be threaded M12. Some units its just a plain hole. I use an M12 all thread bar, M12 flanged nuts, washers and a weightlifting weight 0.5-1.25kg works well, and doesn't cost a lot at all.

4. A mini vixen wedge to mount onto the bottom of the azgti so it can mount into the EQ wedge. I think the skywatcher wedge has one supplied with it. I had to make my own from a normal dovetail bar and cut it up to shorten it.

Later on if you wish you can add the following for an advanced EQ setup:

A. Some form of computer controller be it a pc/laptop, small form factor PC, raspberry pi with stellarmate or astroberry loaded onto the memory card, asiair. My personal recommendation having used the latter two and wanting a small setup I can take anywhere without additional computer equipment is an Asiair, as it's easy to use and functions well with the use of its mobile phone app. With the asiair you are tied to use zwo equipment only, there's also a DSLR compatibility list on their website.

B. A guide scope for autoguiding. Many of us have used the F4 30mm ZWO/SVbony one. Bit of a pain to focus but it works and it's light.

C. A guide camera to put into the guidescope for autoguiding. The most basic zwo 120mc will do (or another brand if not using asiair). A mono one will be better (mm version) and will "see" more stars.

D. An EQ DIR cable (lynx astro), to connect the computer controller via usb to the rj12 port of the azgti so it can issue guide adjustment commands to the mount for autoguiding.

E. Some thought into the mounting solution for all this. Initially I started with a long vixen dovetail with the dslr mounted on top and the guide scope underneath the bar at the very front, this however does have limitations in how much it can turn in declination before the guidescope hits the mount. Now I use a DSLR cheese plate (or a few) and can mount multiple cameras to the top, the cheese plate is then mounted on a vixen dovetail. You'll need to source the required nuts and bolts, I tend to use cap head screws as they can be tightened better with minimal risk of stripped heads.

F. The normal required usb cables. For DSLR to asiair the usb cable can be a bit finicky, I had to buy a second one which now works flawlessly.

With the use of the advanced setup I have managed to image up to 5 minutes per sub at 400mm focal length but this depends on seeing, usually pushing narrowband I only tend to do 2-3 minutes now to reduce frequency of odd shaped stars (and also satellite/plane trails).

Power: a power bank is recommended or the 12v mains adaptor. I had issues using just AA batteries (constant drop of signal when slewing for example). I use a Celestron Lithium LT which provides 6h+ in alt az mode or 3-4h in full EQ asiair AP mode.

A lot in this comment to digest, there's more than one way to adapt this mount and am sure others can provide their views and experiences. Don't be put off, with anything AP (even visual) there's hurdles to overcome and the satisfaction which occurs once you get it all working is great. I'm also very satisfied I can get excellent results with this mount which people often don't recommend as an AP mount, from a pure cost perspective it's great value.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Elp said:

The azgti was designed as an alt az goto mount with the scope mounted on the LHS pointing north at startup. Skywatcher added the function via a firmware update (it's easy to do, the files can be downloaded from skywatchers website) whereby when mounted onto an EQ wedge it could also be operated in EQ mode, after the firmware update in alt az mode the scope is attached to the RHS of the mount pointing north at startup.

It has in built tracking functions, sidereal, lunar, solar etc, in its most basic use function (mount only, operating in alt az) you start by pointing the mount with scope to true north, scope is parallel to the ground, switch the power on. With the downloaded synscan pro app to a mobile device all the mount functions are on the app which you can control wirelessly via your phone's WiFi and the WiFi being cast by the mount itself. If you've done the firmware update, once connected via WiFi to the mount (your mobile devices location function needs to be on also so the mount knows where you're located in the world) and opening the app it will ask you whether you are operating the mount in alt az or EQ mode, select which one and then you'll be on the main screen. You then need to do a 1/2/3 star alignment, you'll be presented with a few star options to align to for each alignment star. Once it's done it'll have a better idea of mount alignment. There's then a list in the app of celestial targets to choose from and goto. I would like to point out that for me personally, it's goto function can be a little bit off but I guess it depends on how much time you spend aligning, other people have better results, but I don't mind considering the price of the mount.

EQ mode generally works the same but you need the following additional equipment for it to work in a basic mode:

1. Equatorial wedge, a few to choose from. From my personal experience having used four different ones and ease of polar alignment they go in this order first being best and typically highest price: William Optics, Ioptron, Skywatcher, TS Optics mini.

2. Some way of polar aligning. Others can contribute as there's many ways in which to do this though most of us now use a form of computer method with a camera (Eg asiair), you can get a bracket to attach a polar scope to if you want to do this manually for now. I have found also using a compass with a declination scale on it to find true north, paired with a digital inclinometer for the altitude angle gets you quite close to polaris to start off with. Depending on your DSLR focal length you can have a less accurate polar alignment and still get good results.

3. You may (you can probably get away with it with just a DSLR on top) require a counterweight bar and weight, check on the azgti you get within the altitude clutch knob (the larger one) in the centre is a hole, it should be threaded M12. Some units its just a plain hole. I use an M12 all thread bar, M12 flanged nuts, washers and a weightlifting weight 0.5-1.25kg works well, and doesn't cost a lot at all.

4. A mini vixen wedge to mount onto the bottom of the azgti so it can mount into the EQ wedge. I think the skywatcher wedge has one supplied with it. I had to make my own from a normal dovetail bar and cut it up to shorten it.

Later on if you wish you can add the following for an advanced EQ setup:

A. Some form of computer controller be it a pc/laptop, small form factor PC, raspberry pi with stellarmate or astroberry loaded onto the memory card, asiair. My personal recommendation having used the latter two and wanting a small setup I can take anywhere without additional computer equipment is an Asiair, as it's easy to use and functions well with the use of its mobile phone app. With the asiair you are tied to use zwo equipment only, there's also a DSLR compatibility list on their website.

B. A guide scope for autoguiding. Many of us have used the F4 30mm ZWO/SVbony one. Bit of a pain to focus but it works and it's light.

C. A guide camera to put into the guidescope for autoguiding. The most basic zwo 120mc will do (or another brand if not using asiair). A mono one will be better (mm version) and will "see" more stars.

D. An EQ DIR cable (lynx astro), to connect the computer controller via usb to the rj12 port of the azgti so it can issue guide adjustment commands to the mount for autoguiding.

E. Some thought into the mounting solution for all this. Initially I started with a long vixen dovetail with the dslr mounted on top and the guide scope underneath the bar at the very front, this however does have limitations in how much it can turn in declination before the guidescope hits the mount. Now I use a DSLR cheese plate (or a few) and can mount multiple cameras to the top, the cheese plate is then mounted on a vixen dovetail. You'll need to source the required nuts and bolts, I tend to use cap head screws as they can be tightened better with minimal risk of stripped heads.

F. The normal required usb cables. For DSLR to asiair the usb cable can be a bit finicky, I had to buy a second one which now works flawlessly.

With the use of the advanced setup I have managed to image up to 5 minutes per sub at 400mm focal length but this depends on seeing, usually pushing narrowband I only tend to do 2-3 minutes now to reduce frequency of odd shaped stars (and also satellite/plane trails).

Power: a power bank is recommended or the 12v mains adaptor. I had issues using just AA batteries (constant drop of signal when slewing for example). I use a Celestron Lithium LT which provides 6h+ in alt az mode or 3-4h in full EQ asiair AP mode.

A lot in this comment to digest, there's more than one way to adapt this mount and am sure others can provide their views and experiences. Don't be put off, with anything AP (even visual) there's hurdles to overcome and the satisfaction which occurs once you get it all working is great. I'm also very satisfied I can get excellent results with this mount which people often don't recommend as an AP mount, from a pure cost perspective it's great value.

Thank you @Elpnailed it all in one. Should booknark this page for everything az gti 👌

These videos may help too :

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

what do you reckon the going price should be guys for an azgti all modded for eq use ? (with tripod, wedge, counter balance bar and a weight ?) ?

stu

If its the skywatcher tripod, wedge and counterweight bar+ weight then going on 2 thirds price for well looked after equipment that comes to £292, if you have the pillar it's £310. Just going on 2 thirds price rule. 

Lee 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, powerlord said:

SW tripod, optron wedge and stu-special counterweight bar and 3d printed adapter on a barbell weight.. so maybe a bit less then 🙂

I'll maybe advertise at 250 squid.

stu

I could be interested if you have some pictures 

On 13/10/2022 at 09:47, Dave scutt said:

Hi all @Elp pointed me in this direction thanks.

I'm thinking of getting an AZGTI mount to use with a DSLR camera which i need to get as well and later on maybe a scope once i understand how to process the image's.

Is it just literally set it up point to where you want and it will track. Are they easy to set up and use 

Is there anything else i would need to buy like power bank and lead's , EQ wedge etc

Any more help would be appreciated .

Thanks dave

If you're going to go straight to eq mode, maybe consider this too - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-star-adventurer-gti.html unless you are looking on the used market (and sorry to derail the thread slightly)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, osilvab said:

Hello fellow owners of AZ-GTi. Im sharing here my post with an issue im having with my mount:

As others have said in your other post, it's a power issue I'd expect. You coykd try normal (not rechargeable) ones to test that the motors turn. Then get a proper power supply for it 

42 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

As others have said in your other post, it's a power issue I'd expect. You coykd try normal (not rechargeable) ones to test that the motors turn. Then get a proper power supply for it 

Yes, apparently that is the problem. I will keep the conversation on that thread. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Scrub that last comment, found them. Thanks

EDIT- Called them and out of stock, they only had an allocation of 3, any orders coming into the country are pre-orders. new orders are likely to be April 2023. Looks like a long long wait, unless i see a used one 1st.

Edited by John Wick

5 hours ago, John Wick said:

Has anyone seen this still available anywhere? Searched online and the trend seems to be not available until early 2023? Have a saved alert on ebay, but no joy so far. 

Many thanks

Any joy in the for sale section here, seem to remember a couple for sale or on astro buy and sell website https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Lee

• Like 1

Really, REALLY, odd things happening with the mount tonight. I haven't use it for a few months, so it's been standing in the corner of the kitchen switched off.

So I've tried this with both batteries and external power. The issue shows itself when I'm doing an alignment. I've tried 1 star, 2 star and north-level alignment but the same thing happens when I do the first adjustment after it's slewed to the first alignment star.

I have the slew speed at 9 (fastest). I hit 'up' on the app and it moves up a fraction but quite slowly (say speed 5-ish) I try again and it does the same but also turns on the az axis too! I'll try down and it still goes up a little. All this at a slower speed. If I keep trying, it'll suddenly jump at the fast slew speed but in a couple of steps, as if it's trying to catch up with itself.

I can't really get beyond this point. If I cancel the alignment, and try to move the scope, it won't respond. 

Having said all that, suddenly it's working better! However when I goto a target and it asks me to manually centre the target, it starts to do the same thing again!

Any ideas anyone? This has ruined my night for sure!

The lack of movement is troubling. Could it be a WiFi issue? Most of my issues slewing and issuing slewing commands were solved after changing to using 12v power (either mains or telescope grade power bank).

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

The lack of movement is troubling. Could it be a WiFi issue? Most of my issues slewing and issuing slewing commands were solved after changing to using 12v power (either mains or telescope grade power bank).

A  firmware update from 339 to 340 fixed it. Phew!

It's also fixed the issue I had with the flashing red LED - which before just flashed steadily whatever the status.

• Like 2