Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Well, yee haw!  After sitting on the shelf for 2 months since I got it from FLO due to bad weather, etc. I fired up my AZ-GTi for some actual observing this morning.

It's only +15F though so I observed inside from my loft.  I have windows to the S and E, so I was limited to Vega, Sulafat, Sheliak, and Antares and only a 1-star alignment, but I'm happy with how the mount works, especially since I had to approximate where north is.

I'm still fumbling with the app on my iPhone, but I'm a kinesthetic / visual learner, so I'll hopefully get better the more I play with it.  Now I need to figure out how to connect to SkySafari so I don't have to scroll through menus.  Also wonder if a hand controller might be a good thing to have eventually.

Cheers!

• Like 2

On 14/05/2022 at 02:23, herne said:

2) If you know the coordinates of the double star(s) you want to look at you can enter those directly to the app.  From the main menu tap User Objects > Celestial Objects then define what you are looking for using RA/Dec co-ords.  I believe you can save those so in effect you create your own list.  That’s the only way I can think of to expand the list of doubles within the Synscan app.

Revisiting this - I tried entering Omega Cygni's RA and Dec on the User Objects -> Celestial Objects screen in SynScan Pro.  It seemed to accept the info and I hit Save.  I went back out and then revisited the Objects screen, and there's nothing showing under the Objects list / pulldown.  I used JNOW and entered the name where it says "Current object".  That happened twice.

I wasn't connected to the mount, just playing with the app.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!

On emulator mode I connected as mount is not even on I'm dry trying

Use objects added name and coordinates then save

Left user objects and back in and selected my user object and goto and the mount emulated a move

repeated with jnow and that was the same

No sure if that is what you mean

27 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Are you in emulator mode while practicing?

No,  I'm using the app on my phone in normal mode, but not connected to the mount.  Sounds like I either have to be connected or in emulator mode.

Not sure how you would use the celestial user object as I entered coordinates for a static moment in time and now that object would be moved but my user object loads the original coordinates I had added.

And the mystery deepens.

I downloaded Synscan onto my iPhone and I can save user defined objects, both celestial and terrestrial.  Still can't get anything to save in Pro on my phone.

I can save user defined objects in Synscan on my iPad also, so it appears to be something with using Pro.

I don't have easy access to a voodoo priest right now to sort this out, so I guess I'll just run with Synscan for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya folks, thanks to @happy-kat for guiding me to this thread! I recently joined the AZ GTi club, and have today received a powerpack, from the well recommended TalentCell. 

tested it out today with the included cable as I don't have the Lynx Astro one just yet (on order), all working well. I attached it to the pier with velcro straps as the cable was very short. I then did a test fit of my intended position, on the tripod leg spreader. I've included a 'belt and bracers' approach, carabiner and length of paracord to the leg spreader.

Since testing both configurations though, I have to admit that mounting it on the pier would be my preference. However, I feel I am missing something obvious that would make this a bad idea, but I can't come up with what that something might be? Grateful for any thoughts!

20240311_175332.jpg

Screenshot_20240311_192745_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Oortraged
Missed word
  • Like 2

I just leave mine on the floor, and I'm usually imaging with two or three batteries attached. If it's on grass I use double wall cardboard or an offcut of yoga mat to place them onto, if it's dewy out then I lightly cover them with the same, they don't get wet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Oortraged said:

Heya folks, thanks to @happy-kat for guiding me to this thread! I recently joined the AZ GTi club, and have today received a powerpack, from the well recommended TalentCell. 

tested it out today with the included cable as I don't have the Lynx Astro one just yet (on order), all working well. I attached it to the pier with velcro straps as the cable was very short. I then did a test fit of my intended position, on the tripod leg spreader. I've included a 'belt and bracers' approach, carabiner and length of paracord to the leg spreader.

Since testing both configurations though, I have to admit that mounting it on the pier would be my preference. However, I feel I am missing something obvious that would make this a bad idea, but I can't come up with what that something might be? Grateful for any thoughts!

20240311_175332.jpg

I have mine just above the spreader plate and rests on the arm of my tripod. Yours will work great anywhere on the leg and the carabiner is a nice idea to secure. 

I did try on the pillar as you have and thought it may get in the way of the scope. 

Enjoy your sessions with your AzGti, you won't be disappointed. 

Lee 

IMG_20240312_062255.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Elp said:

I just leave mine on the floor, and I'm usually imaging with two or three batteries attached. If it's on grass I use double wall cardboard or an offcut of yoga mat to place them onto, if it's dewy out then I lightly cover them with the same, they don't get wet.

Thanks Elp, that's good to know for quick set ups and as, inevitably, more electronic bits find their way into the set up!

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have mine just above the spreader plate and rests on the arm of my tripod. Yours will work great anywhere on the leg and the carabiner is a nice idea to secure. 

I did try on the pillar as you have and thought it may get in the way of the scope. 

Enjoy your sessions with your AzGti, you won't be disappointed. 

Lee 

IMG_20240312_062255.jpg

Cheers Lee, yours looks really neat and tidy. Good point about the tube potentially fouling if it is on the pier. Is that the ADM saddle I spy lurking there as well? Must say I'm looking forward mine arriving and getting it on the mount!

Ryan

Edited by Oortraged
Typo
  • Like 1

Looking again my thought is cable snagging just a little can cause vibration and subsequent image wobble, and the cable to the battery when on the pillar looked to close and could interfere with the mount.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Oortraged said:

Cheers Lee, yours looks really neat and tidy. Good point about the tube potentially fouling if it is on the pier. Is that the ADM saddle I spy lurking there as well? Must say I'm looking forward mine arriving and getting it on the mount!

Thank you. I have the 2m lynx astro cable that powers it do plenty of length to the mount. When not in use I store the cable, talentcell battery and the phone to control the mount inside the pouch. 

Yes it is an adm dovetail clamp. I took it off my redundant AzGti eq imaging rig when dismantling and thought perfect for my AzGti in az mode for observing, lunar and Planetary imaging. Then hopefully some milky-way core imaging with the dslr this spring. 

Lee 

IMG_20240203_133959.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 12:58, Oortraged said:

20240311_175332.jpg

Here’s another possibly:

IMG_2518.thumb.jpeg.da6fb463560434e1bcce133941e0ee50.jpeg

The battery Velcro’ed to the side of the mount eliminates dealing with the mount’s power cable once and for all. It’s especially helpful when viewing at objects widely separated in the sky.

Edited by Jim L
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you. I have the 2m lynx astro cable that powers it do plenty of length to the mount. When not in use I store the cable, talentcell battery and the phone to control the mount inside the pouch. 

Yes it is an adm dovetail clamp. I took it off my redundant AzGti eq imaging rig when dismantling and thought perfect for my AzGti in az mode for observing, lunar and Planetary imaging. Then hopefully some milky-way core imaging with the dslr this spring. 

Lee 

IMG_20240203_133959.jpg

That looks really smart Lee, even more excited for mine now! I also opted for the 2m Lynx astro cable, so glad to hear I haven't overdone it or underdone it! Sounds like a great plan with the DSLR too 👍 definitely a fan of repurposing/ multi use from a bit of kit as I am tight on storage, so food for thought!

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Here’s another possibly:

IMG_2518.thumb.jpeg.da6fb463560434e1bcce133941e0ee50.jpeg

The battle Velcro’ed to the side of the mount eliminates dealing with the mount’s power cable once and for all. It’s especially helpful when viewing at objects widely separated in the sky.

That's a smart idea @Jim L, really tidy and no chance of cable snags as you say! Unfortunately, I think with the version of the talentcell I opted for (LF4100) it might be a bit too large to take this approach - I've included a plectrum for scale. It also weighs in at a heftier 750g or so. I have some other, non astronomical applications to press the TalentCell into, so unfortunately this was the compromise for now - but ought is better than nought, as they say! If it proves overly cumbersome through the summer then I can always make the switch for next season :)

Thanks for the perspectives folks, greatly appreciated.

17102773767748797246345885635225.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Interesting list of updates on the synscan pro update just released, I've installed it and just need the sky to clear

That's good to hear, let us know how it goes, I've yet to update my dedicated phone for my scope yet. 

Clear skies 

Lee