Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just my weather?

scotty38

I see folk posting images every day from locations in the UK and it’s confusing me. Over the last few weeks I’ve had enough clear sky to finish one calibration run in PHD and that’s been about it. 

Getting fed up now 😂😂

• Haha 1

Thete are many times recently I’ve looked out at the rain or wall to wall clouds and then seen someone in the UK post about what a clear night without a cloud in the sky. Grrrrrrrrrr. 🤬🤬🤬

Edited by johninderby

It's not been good at all recently here but have managed a couple of quick images. Most of those have involved waiting up late if there is a chance of a clear period and getting a few hours imaging in should a gap appear. I usually call it quits if no sign of clear sky by midnight or if there is a chance of rain.  Other than simply staying up and keeping an eye on conditions keeping a very close watch of multiple weather forecasts and satellite / radar imagery really helps.

Edited by AbsolutelyN

It has been rather poor here as well. I've had a few short sessions observing Jupiter early evening and then it's clouded out the rest of the night :rolleyes2:

If my 100mm refractor was not very quick to cool I'd have probably not observed at all on those nights.

18 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Venus is staring at me from a completely clear sky, but not going out there with feel like temperatures like that! ❄️

image.png.8fb949bccda0aea55eab6886180311f7.png

Yep same here clear right now, Sod’s law. Apologies it looked focused on my phone but they’re taunting me too….

IMG_0851.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

I see folk posting images every day from locations in the UK and it’s confusing me. Over the last few weeks I’ve had enough clear sky to finish one calibration run in PHD and that’s been about it. 

Getting fed up now 😂😂

I often wonder the same @scotty38 "They are in the same UK as me right?" 

As mentioned above, it's been a case of grabbing those elusive few hours here and there recently.  I'm still waiting for that (only) one 10-11 hour clear night that usually graces us before year end. Maybe!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

-20 and windy is where i think again about going outside. Probably will still go after thinking about it.

We are spoilt by being kept relatively warm with the gulf stream. Anything less than -5C and everything stops!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a lovely, quick opportunistic planetary session in Winchester earlier.  Crescent Venus, reasonably steady Jupiter & an increasingly tiny Saturn all visible in the twilight - beautiful. 

I keep the Mak in the draughtiest spot in the house to be partially cooled for such occasions (stored in a rarely used downstairs loo known as the “chilly-khazi”, need I say more…) 

Edited by SuburbanMak

44 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

We are spoilt by being kept relatively warm with the gulf stream. Anything less than -5C and everything stops!

Never mind, when the melting Greenland ice turns off the Gulf stream we'll have nice Scandi weather, not just Scandi noir :evil4:.

In any case, I have my obsy locked down until after the weekend.

Its been like this for weeks here but I consulted my log book from last year and I seem to have only got a couple of clear nights in November so maybe its just the way of it.

Hopefully it will start clear up heading  into mid/late December though I am not overly optimistic at present!

UK is not the best environment for the amateur astronomer I feel but it won’t stop us spending pennies for those few nights we do get I am sure!

Edited by wibblefish

7 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Sod's Law in action tonight. It's crystal clear outside and forecast to remain so until tomorrow morning. The temperature will dip to around 1°c. The perfect night if it wasn't for the 15mph wind gusting at 25mph. Am I a wimp for not setting up, or sensible? 🙄

Similar here. I am out with my refractor having a quick look at Jupiter and Saturn but a) it's cold, b) it's gusty and c) the seeing seems to be rather poor.

I doubt that I'll be out much longer :rolleyes2:

• Sad 1