Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it just my weather?

scotty38

It's getting so frustrating, I think i've had 1 clear night since September here.  

Last week I looked out and the south was crystal clear, nice view of Jupiter and Saturn.  Dragged the scope out, turned to Polar align and a massive encroaching cloud bank had obscured Polaris..  **Drags scope back in again**...

Any suggestions for an indoor hobby?  I may take up knitting..  :D  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

Managed to get a few hours on Wednesday. First clear night since October 1st.

Congratulations! Still cloudy here and looks set to be that way for another week. I blame the fact I bought a new telescope back in November which I have managed to use for all of 20 minutes between cloud patches :)

Interesting weather related observation here: Now that everything is covered in snow here i noticed that skyglow is CONSIDERABLY worse than it was just a while ago. Snow acts as a reflector for light pollution and basically all lights are shining directly to space. I would estimate that bortle ratings went up at least by 1 class, possibly 2 classes in some places. Not that i have had proper time to confirm this, just a few glimpses through gaps in the eternal early winter cloud cover.

It cant be can it?!  Surely!  Metoffice agree too.   36hrs to go yet though so it can all change...   Dizzy with excitement but what do I look at/shoot?!  :D   Something will go wrong guaranteed 😉 263197242_329126915406227_7616705611573528458_n.jpg.ffec0febabf65825c07138067b5eef65.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weather here has been bad for observing although it's been warmer than usual for December.  Anyway, I find the most accurate forecasting is usually my own, based on satellite loops.  If "stuff" has been moving this way for several hours, it's not going to veer off.  I can also roughly  estimate when it will be here.