NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

14 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

MYSTERY DOUBLE - Is it 65 Psc or 65 And??

65 Psc (Sigma 61) – matched 6th mag pair, 4.4 arcsec separation.  Little else in the field, although it was not very dark!  Going from x36 to x73, got the split – close, perfect match, secondary at 11 o’clock.

This one took a bit of working out!  It is in Haas, but in the Cambridge Atlas, it is given as 65 And. It is right on the boundary of the constellations, and despite the title, it can be classed as a star in Andromeda.  To add to the confusion, its SAO number is 74296, but CDSA and Stellarium have it as 74295.  (Other sources list 65 And as a completely different and non-physical double, with the number 23319.)

I mention this here as the puzzle added extra to the observation.

Full report with four more doubles and other things is in the Observing Doubles section.

Doug.

G'day Doug! I love a good astronomical mystery and checked Sky Safari Plus. The double star you are referring to is indeed 65 Piscium, it's right close to the Andromeda border. Coincidently there is another double star, 65 Andromedae that's close to the Perseus border! Thanks to your report I will try to observe both tonight 😃

Screenshot_2022-12-23-06-48-59-01.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I want out delivering cards around the village last night, around 6.30pm, and was struck how (unexpectedly) clear it was. 

So I got out Trinity the FS128 Tak and turned to Mars. Sadly, the seeing was poor, although transparency was pretty good. Using an orange red filter did help a bit, and I could see some rather vague darker areas, but the north polar hood which was so prominent in last week's -7 deg freezing skies was almost invisible this time. I couldn't get anything like a decent view much past c100x (Pentax 10.5XL), whereas last week I was getting over 300x with reasonable image quality.

It was a strange evening: the temperature dropped quickly to freezing, and condensation(not ice) began to form on the scope tube, and my RACI finder began to fog up more than once..but the objective stayed clear!🤔🥴.

I checked out Alnitak, couldn't split it, Rigel, (I could split that at 7" but a mushy sight), and M42 (nice tendrils and contrast of the Bat Wings, but only the 4 main Trapezium stars were visible, with E&F only suspected once or twice).

General transparency was still quite good, but deteriorating, so I abandoned thoughts of further higher power views and just went over to the Pleiades. Out came my Celestron Axiom LX heavyweight UWA pair: 23mm 82 deg and 31mm 82 deg, the latter a hefty 1.4kg😱. So, a little rebalancing of the scope was called for, but Oh My, the views!

Using the 23mm first, the whole field was littered with dozens and dozens of scintillating pure white points on a jet black background..but I couldn't quite get the whole cluster, which is almost 2 degrees across framed comfortably (this was at 45x, with the 23mm giving a 1.81 Deg fov in my Tak), so I popped in (well, heaved in😱😂) the big 31mm to give 33x, and this did the trick..I now had a 2.41 Deg fov, so the whole cluster was beautifully framed, with the long tail from Alcyone of c7 fainter stars standing out like mini beacons.. 

All in all I was out for about an hour or so..not by any means a great session, but those Pleiades views made it so worthwhile👍

Dave

~

I must stop reading any of your reports using the FS128. My heart still grieves the moronic decision I made to sell mine, some years back.

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Sad 3

Wed night it was I think I managed to spot Mercury at about 4 pm, just after sunset. Scanning the area with binoculars I spotted a point of light which I could then also make out naked-eye. Now either that was Mercury and Venus was behind the bank of cloud below it, or that was Venus and Mercury was invisible, but I don't think it was bright enough to be Venus. Jupiter was also visible and brighter than probably-Mercury.

Solid cloud Thurs and tonight so I haven't been able to make another try.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allworlds said:

Wed night it was I think I managed to spot Mercury at about 4 pm, just after sunset. Scanning the area with binoculars I spotted a point of light which I could then also make out naked-eye. Now either that was Mercury and Venus was behind the bank of cloud below it, or that was Venus and Mercury was invisible, but I don't think it was bright enough to be Venus. Jupiter was also visible and brighter than probably-Mercury.

Solid cloud Thurs and tonight so I haven't been able to make another try.

~

I will try tonight, and let you know. 😁

On 22/12/2022 at 17:10, Mick H said:

There are three versions Dave, SkySafari $2.99, SkySafari Plus $9.99, SkySafari Pro $24.99.

SkySafari Plus is a good buy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari5&hl=en_GB&gl=US

@F15Rules - as Mick says, go for the Plus version at least. It's where it becomes a proper astronomy tool. The basic version (used to be free) is better for just star-gazing and helping newbies identify things. Whereas, plus gives you the observation-list features (which is where this app excels) so you can plan an evening's observing using your own or imported lists, make you observation log entries and have them linked to objects (so you can bring up an object and then see all your previous observations of it). It can link with a goto  mount and control it. You can enter all your gear details: scopes and EPs, and then have it show FOV details on the screen. 

The pro version has loads more faint stuff. I find that with an 8" reflector, even in Bortle 6, I can see more stars than is shown in the plus version. So if you spend a lot of time star-hopping for faint stuff with largish aperture, go for pro, IMHO.

As for version 6 vs 7. I actually preferred the older UI, although the star rendering is better in 7.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pixies said:

@F15Rules - as Mick says, go for the Plus version at least. It's where it becomes a proper astronomy tool. The basic version (used to be free) is better for just star-gazing and helping newbies identify things. Whereas, plus gives you the observation-list features (which is where this app excels) so you can plan an evening's observing using your own or imported lists, make you observation log entries and have them linked to objects (so you can bring up an object and then see all your previous observations of it). It can link with a goto  mount and control it. You can enter all your gear details: scopes and EPs, and then have it show FOV details on the screen. 

The pro version has loads more faint stuff. I find that with an 8" reflector, even in Bortle 6, I can see more stars than is shown in the plus version. So if you spend a lot of time star-hopping for faint stuff with largish aperture, go for pro, IMHO.

As for version 6 vs 7. I actually preferred the older UI, although the star rendering is better in 7.

+1 for Sky Safari Plus! I still use version 6, haven't yet upgraded to version 7. 

It has revolutionised my observing. When I first started serious observing two years ago the upside down and reversed view through my reflector was difficult for my brain to wrap around. The moment I got SS Plus with its capability to match my view, everything became much clearer. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 12:08, F15Rules said:

… now had a 2.41 Deg fov, so the whole cluster was beautifully framed, with the long tail from Alcyone of c7 fainter stars standing out like mini beacons.. (does this "mini asterism" have a name? If not, it should!). …

I believe it does, it’s called “Ally’s Braid”, as in “Alcyone’s long hair”. Personally I call it “B2 Bomber” as that’s what it reminded me of when i first found it and didn’t realize it had a name. It’s one of the first things I go for when I’m out with binoculars ( like tonight!).

Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out tonight briefly as it was unexpectedly clear after a rainy afternoon and evening. I only took my 15x56 bins, it was too windy for anything more elaborate.

As my previous post suggests, I first looked at the Pleiades and of course Ally’s Braid. M81/82 were found quite easily, but M101 and M51 eluded me, they were still too low over the main light dome over Skibbereen, with some haze still around. M31/32/110 were easy (M31 naked eye too) and while up close to zenith I found Kemble’s Cascade. M33 was quite evident, perhaps even a bit of structure, so on that basis I returned to M101 and eventually _just about_ found it.

I thought about going for M1 Crab, which I have seen through these bins from this spot before, but for stability I’d’ve had to sit in the garden chair I keep there, and that was still slimy wet, so no.

Meissa was lovely (I call it the “Luger” asterism), as was Mintaka’s S and of course M42.

Impatient now for a proper scope session before Luna reappears.

Magnus

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

+1 for Sky Safari Plus! I still use version 6, haven't yet upgraded to version 7. 

It has revolutionised my observing. When I first started serious observing two years ago the upside down and reversed view through my reflector was difficult for my brain to wrap around. The moment I got SS Plus with its capability to match my view, everything became much clearer. Highly recommended!

Joe - I should use my Sky Safari more, I suppose.  I use Stellarium when observing.  I match the EP views with CTRL/Shift/H for a refractor, and both H and V for a reflector.

Doug.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Out tonight briefly as it was unexpectedly clear after a rainy afternoon and evening. I only took my 15x56 bins, it was too windy for anything more elaborate.

As my previous post suggests, I first looked at the Pleiades and of course Ally’s Braid. M81/82 were found quite easily, but M101 and M51 eluded me, they were still too low over the main light dome over Skibbereen, with some haze still around. M31/32/110 were easy (M31 naked eye too) and while up close to zenith I found Kemble’s Cascade. M33 was quite evident, perhaps even a bit of structure, so on that basis I returned to M101 and eventually _just about_ found it.

I thought about going for M1 Crab, which I have seen through these bins from this spot before, but for stability I’d’ve had to sit in the garden chair I keep there, and that was still slimy wet, so no.

Meissa was lovely (I call it the “Luger” asterism), as was Mintaka’s S and of course M42.

Impatient now for a proper scope session before Luna reappears.

Magnus

Nice report Magnus and amazing what you can see with bins & the naked eye.

I’ve tried for years and so far M101 & M33 have eluded me, skies where I live are just not dark enough maybe I need to do some travelling and get myself up to dark site. 

• Like 2

What didn’t I see- the pup :( The seeing was so steady- fantastic sharp view of Jupiter earlier in the evening and Mars was great too, Sirius was actually quite steady and I was sure the pup would reveal itself. But after repeated long attempts I had to give up- freezing cold despite it being only about 10deg  (but high humidity). There were fleeting moments when i kidded myself that a speck had flashed into existence but nothing concrete. Next time…

Mark

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, markse68 said:

What didn’t I see- the pup :( The seeing was so steady- fantastic sharp view of Jupiter earlier in the evening and Mars was great too, Sirius was actually quite steady and I was sure the pup would reveal itself. But after repeated long attempts I had to give up- freezing cold despite it being only about 10deg  (but high humidity). There were fleeting moments when i kidded myself that a speck had flashed into existence but nothing concrete. Next time…

Mark

Keep trying Mark, I'm sure you will see it soon! It took me two years to finally see it, it was hiding in a diffraction spike! Once you've seen the Pup it becomes easier to see it again. Good luck!

Joe

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to all on SGL! This thread in particular has been a constant source of information and learning for me, in addition to being somewhere sensible for me to record my observations and experiences beyond my offline records. Thanks to all for sharing valuable and insightful notes throughout 2022. I’ll look forward to enjoying another year of Astronomy with you all in 2023. 

Best wishes,

Andrew 

• Like 14

I went out to try and test my new Xmas present - a Celestron Ultima Edge 30mm EP, in my StellaLyra 8" dob. The clouds had some breaks and were fast moving, so I had to concentrate on something obvious. I chose Jupiter - seeing was very good between the clouds and at 185x mag (Baader Morpheus 6.5) the planet was sharp and quite detailed, with several clear bands and the moons as discs.

Anyone interested in the Celestron EP can see my thread:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/403780-celestron-ultima-edge-30mm-apm-uff-stellalyra-uf/page/3/#comment-4329957

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 5

Working nights at the moment and don't get home till 0600 and with clear outside showing clouds for the forseeable this was the last chance for me to get out and do some observing and to test out the 12mm BST Starguider, not an ideal first run since the scope wasn't cooled properly and I was particularly dark adapted AND I was racing the rising dawn, however I had a quick scan through Leo and I think I found R Leonis, but I have to say I don't think it was very red.  More orange if anything.

To give the eyepiece a fair run I headed to M13 which is about as far from the dawn as I could get.  In the 130PDS the 12mm gives x55 power so not ideal for framing M13, however the view was still rather good.  I dropped my x2 barlow in and tried that out and the framing was just about perfect at x110  Really nice view, and very stable on the new Skywatcher Tripod, really nice granulation in the cluster was apparent.  A great early indicator.  I think me and this eyepiece have a bright future ahead of us!

Edit:

Corrected the powers.  I can't math.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 7

Just come in for dinner after a session that started in daylight.

Had some friends around with a couple of young boys and they weren’t going to stay too long. So got the 200p Dob out at 3pm to cool and started looking for Jupiter at about 3:30pm. I used my phone strapped to the OTA plus the app PSAlign Pro with PushTo to locate Jupiter even though it wasn’t visible naked eye just yet. Worked a charm and we could even make out the GRS. The kids were impressed :) Later on as it got darker we were treated to Ganymede appear, as if but magic, from behind the disc. Had a brief interruption from a passing light shower which soon cleared. 

Had a quick look at Saturn and even though it was low could just make out the Cassini Division. Again, the kids were impressed. Then onto the thin crescent moon  before they went home. 

I also had a look at Mars with my daughter. Still a tad on the low side and seeing could be better. But the North Polar Hood obvious as was Syrtis Major which was almost bang centre on the disc. 

Will have another got later. There’s also a lot of dew. 

• Like 7

No scope on Christmas night as just relaxing with the peeps. When I put the dog out last thing, must have been around midnight, Orion was flying high in the South, looking amazing. The transparency seemed really good, DC was visible naked eye.

• Like 3

Both last night and tonight have seemed clear as a bell but for various reasons I haven’t been able to get the scope out. Had a fantastic stroll around with the two year old pointing out Mars, Jupiter and an amazing looking moon though. Sometimes naked eye astronomy is just the way it should be. 

• Like 5

The family conked out early tonight after several days of feasting & relative visiting so I popped outside with the “gentleman’s telescope” - a c.1900 Clarkson 3” f15 for a quick look at Mars.  Conditions were pretty good so having worked my way up through the magnifications and enjoyed steady images up to 190x I dialled back to 114x with the BCO 10mm for the best view.  A thrill to see the polar hood and Syrtis Major + other albedo features in this beautiful old brass ‘scope. 
The steadiness persuaded me to break out the Mak 127 and I warmed while it cooled.  Fab views of Mars for about an hour until it swung into the column of wobbly air above a neighbouring roof. As expected much better definition on the surface features than the Clarkson & as good a view of the red planet as I’ve had.

Orion was looking superb so I couldn’t resist  a half hour on M42  & was rewarded with a fabulously contrasty view in the Baader 18mm (83x) + contrast booster filter.  The dark finger of nebulosity below and West of the trapezium particularly prominent and good detail in the almost 3D swirls.  

Back in now and enjoying a wee dram - clear skies and seasons greetings all! 

• Like 13

The RH was 72% last night, but the sky seemed very hazy. About 3am I got a few shots of Corona Borealis and C/2022 E3 (ZTF), using a static DSLR on tripod. This was quite low in the sky, and a few clouds were quickly passing by. I tried to find the comet with 10x50 bins but wasn't completely sure I could see it. 

The clouds look like they are rolling in again for tonight.

Edited by scotty1
  • Sad 1

First light and managed to test my new AZ 5 mount with my Meade 80mm F10. Here in North Cornwall bortle 3. A few nice gaps in the cloud. The moon looking lovely and Jupiter showing its moons in my 32mm plossl and hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm zoom. Though things started dewing up pretty quickly. Then switched to the zoom and M42 was visible with the the nebula showing with aveterd vision, couldnt really make out the 4 trapezium stars very well when zooming in more and mintaka double just about visible but a challenge. Went to castor to try the double with the zoom but not great. The seeing was good as none of the stars twinkling but the transparency must of been bad with the dew and moisture in the air?

I've had much better nights with this scope and lens so it must be down to the moisture in the air I guess. Brought everything back in and began to cloud over with dew. I'm pretty new into the observations world after a while imaging so hoping for another chance soon to try again. I will actually power up my main lens dew strap next time but not sure if the sky was just to bad this time. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 7

The sky here in Norfolk is fantastic tonight. No clouds and relatively low humidity so far. Had the 8” out for the one of the best (if not the best) views of Mars this season. Very much itching to set up the 14” for when the moon goes down at 11pm. It’s a ‘school night’, but I have this feeling only the weather can stop me now. I think we deserve it after a pretty miserable December. Hope some of you are out doing the same. 😉

• Like 7

Just back inside after a great evening with the 10” Dob. The first night out this Christmas break after fairly bleak conditions of late. 
Mars looking impressive under pretty good seeing at c170x power, albedo features prominent (Syrtis Major and Sinus Sabaeus notable features). 
On deep sky, was looking for some of the elusive nebulosity in and around The Pleiades. Not sure I quite achieved that , but the view was impressive nevertheless (with 32 and 25mm Plossls). 
The Orion Nebula was stunning - even without zooming in too far - just a simple wide field of view at low power was breathtaking enough. Nice to be back outside under mild conditions too - I remember distinctly how much colder this time last year was. 

• Like 9

I have been out of the visual aspect of the hobby for the past few months doing planetary imaging. I am taking a break to enjoy my nebulas again. I had a quick session with the family after we came back from dinner, as both  my wife and 5 year old daughter wanted to see the moon and my 7 year old son Orion's nebula. After they all went to sleep, I had an amazing session around Orion. Transparency was excellent. I was using my 8" Dob with or without an OIII filter. I managed M1, NGC2175, IC444, IC443, M35, first time to see nebulosity around NGC2264, Rosette Nebula (NGC2238), NGC1788. The transparency was so good that M42 was splendid with colours, reddish wings and a teal trapezium nebulosity. NGC1999 was showing with averted vision. M78 and NGC2071 were also showing nicely. The piece de résistance was the Horse head. I started with the flame that was observed without a filter as an indication of seeing. Using my H beta it popped brighter. Moving to Horse Head🐴 a bit of nebulosity the size of a thumb was missing, it was there! First time to see it this season. Incoming clouds cut the seeing short but an excellent night back to observing nebulas. I will try write a full report tomorrow.

• Like 13