Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4 years of practice

CraigT82

Bit of a dearth of imaging recently, due to the weather (non-stop rain so far today), so I've been trawling through old stuff and found my very first planetary captures back in 2017 with a SW 127mm Mak and an Imaging Source DFK colour camera (IIRC).  Now using a 12" newt and QHY462c, though the Venus and Mars images were captured with my 8.75" Fullerscope and 290m). Thought it'd be fun to display my first alongside my latest.

Progress 2017 to 2021.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 29

33 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Superb collection. Practice makes perfect, and additional aperture comes in handy too

Thanks... yes probably should mention that transitioning from 127mm to 305mm does bring some benefits! 

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

All look great, a big improvement. Was a bit partial to UV Venus imaging. What a cracking Venus shot there. 

Venus imaging last year was great fun... imaging Venus up at around 50 degrees whilst Sat out in the early evening May sunshine with a good beer makes a very welcome change to the usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Whaaaaat!  those latest images are AWESOME! I have never seen images of Venus with such cloud detail in forums, just amazing!

Thanks! Yes the Venus UV filters are pricey but do produce good results ad really opens up Venus for us.

23 minutes ago, GordonD said:

My goodness those latest images are terrific and what a change over just a few years. Very impressive!

Thanks Gordon 👍

17 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Excellent and amazing progress.

Respect.

Thanks! 

Amazing set of images Craig and yea- slight improvement! Where to next? Bigger scope? Better camera? Mars is staring at me and doesn’t look too happy. They’re all superb but your Venus is astonishing!

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markse68 said:

Amazing set of images Craig and yea- slight improvement! Where to next? Bigger scope? Better camera? Mars is staring at me and doesn’t look too happy. They’re all superb but your Venus is astonishing!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I think 12" is a big as I'm going to go. Anything bigger would need an EQ8 at least and I don't want to spend that kind of money. 

I'm excited to see what kind of images can be had with Jupiter and Saturn getting up higher towards the ecliptic over the coming years in the UK.

Edited by CraigT82