Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

nothing; zero; none: zilch: zip: nada !

John

1 hour ago, John said:

I had a week in the Cambrian Mountains in darkest Wales last week. Lovely weather during the daytime but cloudy nights. I was going to take a scope but didn't in the end and that was the right decision - it would not have got any use :rolleyes2:

Looks like some better weather coming here during the 2nd half of next week though 🤞

Some great spots in the Cambrian range... Am more familiar with Aran range but have had a couple of good evenings south of Machynllyth near the Wynford Vaughn Thomas memorial...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I just can't get a handle on this endless cloudy night weather...I wonder if Jeremy or Johninderby can help?

Could do with a lift to be honest.....:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::)

Dave

Ok if that’s what you want. 😁😁😁

72523F0F-4E78-4867-9EB5-F1A315D84D53.jpeg

• Like 1

It's partially clear here too John, amazingly..I'm aching all over from spending 6 hours trimming our Holly hedge today, but...might just get the Vixen out for a quick peek if it stays clear.

Good luck if you get a session tonight☺️👍

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same here...the sky is tantalising me as well. Looks fairly clear but with light haze. I will give it another 30min or so before I bring my Dob out...I should probably remove the cobwebs while waiting 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I finally managed a 40min observing after nearly 1 month. Completely clouded over. Nothing spectacular but the Cygnus area looked amazing; I though there was a cloud but it was the Milky Way and in the EP it was just filled with stars at low magnification;. I managed to see M39 as well, a new object for me. I hope the rest of you managed some observing. Later in the week it looks promising.

• Like 6

Just come in from a great session here :icon_biggrin:

Milky way showing overhead and a tight doubles session morphed into a mixed nebula session with the Omega, Lagoon, Eagle, Dumbbell, Ring, Blinking and Veil East & West being rather well shown in the 130mm refractor. UHC and O-III filters used as needed to enhance the contrast.

Best sky for about a month I think :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 8

Just a couple  of  days shy of a whole month since I bought my 102mm Bresser 'frac (the 'S' version) and at last it actually got  pointed at the night sky 🙂 . First use of my even newer TS AZT6 too. Proved to be a fun combo, and a worthwhile upgrade from the ST80 as a grab & go setup. Got a decent (if tiny) view of the Ring Nebula with it . It did a really nice job on the double cluster, but CA made Jupiter less than lovely.

Heather

• Like 7

I went outside to check the sky at 11.45pm. A high altitude haze had moved in and I could just see the summer triangle of Vega, Deneb and Altair but none of their attendant stars..so I didn't bother to get a scope out.

If I'm completely honest, I was almost glad, as my aching bones were calling me to much needed sleep: as it's such a while since I had a proper session (late May I think), I want my next session to be under a good sky, I want to be thrilled, not disappointed. Have you ever felt like that?

My  scopes are fettled, cleaned and raring to go, so I'll wait til everything comes together, sky, motivation and physical energy🙂.

All that said, I'm genuinely pleased for you, John, and everyone else who had a decent sky last night, it's just nice to hear that a few of you, at least, saw the Milky Way - instead of the Milky Haze!!😊👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

I went outside to check the sky at 11.45pm. A high altitude haze had moved in and I could just see the summer triangle of Vega, Deneb and Altair but none of their attendant stars..so I didn't bother to get a scope out.

If I'm completely honest, I was almost glad, as my aching bones were calling me to much needed sleep: as it's such a while since I had a proper session (late May I think), I want my next session to be under a good sky, I want to be thrilled, not disappointed. Have you ever felt like that?

My  scopes are fettled, cleaned and raring to go, so I'll wait til everything comes together, sky, motivation and physical energy🙂.

All that said, I'm genuinely pleased for you, John, and everyone else who had a decent sky last night, it's just nice to hear that a few of you, at least, saw the Milky Way - instead of the Milky Haze!!😊👍

Dave

After a day’s hedge cutting I probably couldn’t handle it either, Dave.

Maybe a case for grab and go

I got a rare view of Sagittarius. Could make out the kettle asterism with its handle.

😊

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Overcast here as per according to met office app Tuesday and Wednesday I may have a couple of hours and Thursday all night so I wont be holding my breath but I will be crossing my fingers.

Keeping fingers crossed for very early on Tues.There's a Callisto shadow transit to catch at around 1am between the houses and I'm off that day... 🤞

Congrats to those who recently dodged the clouds! 👍

• Like 3

It must be my age because I fall asleep by 10pm (too much wine) so I have missed the last month or so night time observing. Reading the comments about cloud cover it appears I have not missed too much. I am only glad that I have a Ha solar scope because that has been my main activity over many weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Fireworks here too. Have I missed something?

Amateur astronomers celebrating Richard Bransons' imminent departure from Earth??

Oops, silly me, of course - it's Jeff Besoz's departure that people are really looking forward to..:rolleyes2::hello2::)

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Probably just some Gaussians celebrating 🙂

"1796-07-10 Carl Friedrich Gauss discovers that every positive integer is representable as a sum of at most three triangular numbers"

Other possibilities https://www.onthisday.com/events/july/10

I thought it was entirely Normal. But you’re right: it’s probably Gaussian

🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Grabbed an hour, but it’s been so bad, for so long. Haven’t viewed anything properly for well over a month. Contrast that to this time last year, although no darkness, was out an awful lot.

This time last year (to the day) we had this to keep our attention :icon_biggrin:

noctcomet.thumb.jpg.08d6937fd06ad9724726f806d77c4fb0.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John said:

This time last year (to the day) we had this to keep our attention :icon_biggrin:

Crikey, was it really that long ago. Actually yes, in my diary; Comet Neowise Sun 19 July Battle Hill 'immediately impactful, becoming increasingly spectacular'. 

• Like 1

Don’t want to tempt fate but the Met Office 10 day forecast has the Azores High moving up to sit across the UK from this evening so we should be in for a few clear nights over the next fortnight…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1