Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the sun is made of gelatin

Kitsunegari

That’s amazing! Great to see the effects even around the nose of the plane, I guess where the air is being compressed around the fuselage. Incredible video.

• Like 2

Great video indeed!

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Great to see the effects even around the nose of the plane, I guess where the air is being compressed around the fuselage

It seems to be the case. It's happening mostly in front of the nose and engine nacelles, not so much at the leading edges of the wings (which by design let the air go around them).

I found some plots of air's index of refraction depending on pressure here. As you can see, the change is a very small fraction, BUT apparently when imaging a tiny FOV, like we do with the Sun, it's sufficient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreatAttractor said:

Great video indeed!

It seems to be the case. It's happening mostly in front of the nose and engine nacelles, not so much at the leading edges of the wings (which by design let the air go around them).

I found some plots of air's index of refraction depending on pressure here. As you can see, the change is a very small fraction, BUT apparently when imaging a tiny FOV, like we do with the Sun, it's sufficient.

check this one out,  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1216683.html

Edited by Kitsunegari
  • Like 2