Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, absolute newbie here ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sparkles63

I'm on the verge of hitting the 'checkout'ย button on the Flo website! At age 57, I've always been fascinated by the night sky and during lockdown I've spent more time just gazing up at the stars. Seeing the moon and Neowise through my binoculars has really sparked my interest so I've been researching telescopes, reading reviews and asking for advice. Here's to the start of a wonderful new hobby! ๐ŸŒ™๐Ÿชโญโ˜„

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Sparkles63 said:

I'm on the verge of hitting the 'checkout'ย button on the Flo website! At age 57, I've always been fascinated by the night sky and during lockdown I've spent more time just gazing up at the stars. Seeing the moon and Neowise through my binoculars has really sparked my interest so I've been researching telescopes, reading reviews and asking for advice. Here's to the start of a wonderful new hobby! ๐ŸŒ™๐Ÿชโญโ˜„

Hi ... congrats on finding this site and your impending purchase .ย  :)ย 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

This ,I'm afraid is all too common at the moment . What scope have you ordered ?ย 

It's theย Sky-Watcher Heritage-150P Flextube Dobsonian Telescope. Haven't actually placed the order yet due to the long delay ๐Ÿ™

Hi sparkles63, and a warm welcome to SGL from another beginner. Youโ€™ll find this site an absolute gold mine of information, so I would recommend browsing the forums while youโ€™re waiting for your kit. Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™ve been doing, and I have just heard today that my Skywatcher OTA will be delivered on Monday, following a monthโ€™s wait. Hooray!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Like 2

On 30/07/2020 at 20:26, Sparkles63 said:

Oh no! The telescope I wanted from themย is out of stock until October ๐Ÿฅบ *sigh*

It's worth shopping around and searching all astro and optical retailers for your scope, emailing and ringing to check stock, you never know someone may have 1 left in stock, but generally at the moment, especially skywatcher are out of stock and the synta factory that makes skywatcher are on reduced staff and trying their best to meet demand as the lockdown has seen a huge spike in telescope sales, I managed to find my skymax 127 after many phone calls and emails as skywatcher weren't going to replenish UK stock until mid to late August according to Optical Vision Ltd (most UK retailers supplier), hopefully you'll find your new scope soon and glad you've joined this amazing wealth of knowledge and help here in SGL. Clear skiesย 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pain in the Neck said:

Hi sparkles63, and a warm welcome to SGL from another beginner. Youโ€™ll find this site an absolute gold mine of information, so I would recommend browsing the forums while youโ€™re waiting for your kit. Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™ve been doing, and I have just heard today that my Skywatcher OTA will be delivered on Monday, following a monthโ€™s wait. Hooray!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Already loving this site, friendly people and lots of info & advice! Bet you can't wait for Monday to roll around! Fingers crossed for clear skies ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ”ญ๐Ÿช๐Ÿ˜€

14 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

It's worth shopping around and searching all astro and optical retailers for your scope, emailing and ringing to check stock, you never know someone may have 1 left in stock, but generally at the moment, especially skywatcher are out of stock and the synta factory that makes skywatcher are on reduced staff and trying their best to meet demand as the lockdown has seen a huge spike in telescope sales, I managed to find my skymax 127 after many phone calls and emails as skywatcher weren't going to replenish UK stock until mid to late August according to Optical Vision Ltd (most UK retailers supplier), hopefully you'll find your new scope soon and glad you've joined this amazing wealth of knowledge and help here in SGL. Clear skiesย 

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š Just been in touch with another place, they're hoping to get stock delivered this monthย  ๐Ÿคž

• Like 1

Welcome aboard to a fantastic hobby. There's certainly been a sudden run to get astonomy kit. It's great to see more people interested in looking at the universe, but anoying when you're trying to get equipment. I've got some kit on order that had a 30-40 (business) days delivery time, but I suppose it's best to get in the queue and be patient. Having said that, I bought my actual scope second hand off ebay, have it already and saved quite a bit.

Whilst your waiting on equipment, there's the perfect opportunity to get out under the stars and begin getting on first name terms with all the stars and constellations that will quickly become old friends.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2020 at 19:58, Sparkles63 said:

It's theย Sky-Watcher Heritage-150P Flextube Dobsonian Telescope. Haven't actually placed the order yet due to the long delay ๐Ÿ™

Not sure if you've tried them but i have a supplier near to my work place called Widescreen Centre ... i've also used Rother valley optics .ย 

• Like 1