SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Gents,

I wonder if any of you would happen to have a photo of the bottom face of the AZ100 and know the outer diameter at the base? Is the base machined flat or does it have any steps/shoulders and if so what diameter are the shoulders?

Basically trying to figure out if I can fit it to my pier extension which is for the Orion SVP, same as EQ5 I believe. It's 100mm OD and fortunately there is ~17mm through hole so the required M12 bolt wont be a problem, just want to check that it will sit flat because there's a small step in it with a diameter of about 85mm. So, the AZ100 would ideally be flat bottomed and either less than or a good bit larger than 85mm OD (looks quite a bit larger).

The north peg is removable so no problem there.

Thanks.

20200530_144013.jpg

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Gents,

I wonder if any of you would happen to have a photo of the bottom face of the AZ100 and know the outer diameter at the base? Is the base machined flat or does it have any steps/shoulders and if so what diameter are the shoulders?

Basically trying to figure out if I can fit it to my pier extension which is for the Orion SVP, same as EQ5 I believe. It's 100mm OD and fortunately there is ~17mm through hole so the required M12 bolt wont be a problem, just want to check that it will sit flat because there's a small step in it with a diameter of about 85mm. So, the AZ100 would ideally be flat bottomed and either less than or a good bit larger than 85mm OD (looks quite a bit larger).

The north peg is removable so no problem there.

Thanks.

20200530_144013.jpg

Some potentially useful pics here:

The base is 100mm across but is not flat. Haven’t measured across the centre part unfortunately and my scopes are on it right now. 

• Like 1

Ah those pics help a lot, thanks Stu.

If the base is 100mm diameter then it appears the step/protrusion is about 65mm OD. Though it's not possible to determine the height of it.

It look like the stepped down diameter of ~65mm would sit in the recess of my top plate, but with only minimal land.

Edited by parallaxerr

• 2 weeks later...

Postie had to flex some muscles to deliver this heavy load today...I've paid my fees, can I enter the AZ100 owners club lounge now?

Thanks to @Stu for the AZ6 top plate too, perfect post timing. 

Shame I can't mount my scope. Silly cheap SW/Celestron dovetail with sticky outy bolts wont go in the saddle. Back to Flo for more £££

20200610_165446.jpg

20200610_182437.jpg

IMG-20200610-WA0007.jpeg

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Welcome to the club. 🙂

Chunky littlr beast isn’t it.  You need to ger some low profile head bolts now for the counterweight flange. 

Chunky indeed John. Took me by surprise when I opened the package, researching all the dimensions and even looking at pictures doesn't give you an appreciation for the heft of the AZ100.

8 minutes ago, John said:

What, no wood ?????? :shocked:

Not yet John, the savings account is still in shock, plus now I need a new dovetail so may as well go Losmandy and CNC rings! I'll be machining the top plate down and painting black so it's all one diameter, should be pretty sleek. A Berlebach may come in time.

6 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Now that's nice @parallaxerr, I knew you would blink.
Please let us all know how you get on with it.

You know me well Alan, the matchsticks stood no chance!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Of course we all know it deserves a Berlebach tripod. 😁😁😁

We just have to make him understand that. 😁

12 minutes ago, John said:

What, no wood ?????? :shocked:

Chaps, it's always good to be different.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

A question for all you lucky AZ100 Owners, a measurement if you would be so kind?
What is the measurement from base to centre point (Horizontal).

Looking at how much taller than my Altair Sabre one would be.

AZ100s.jpeg.014c8962aa1a4f70bd85060461c351df.jpeg

Where I saw a difference Alan was over the width as my fracs can now hit the tripod (i have solved this now). But will it matter with your shiny new pier?

@parallaxerr Looking very nice, i hope you enjoy the mount as much as the rest of us seem to be 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the EQ6 top plate machined down today to match the Orion pillar and AZ100 O.D. of 100mm. Just needs a lick of paint now.

Also replaced the socket cap screws with some knobs to make assembly/disassembly easier. Turning out nice I think.

20200615_180252.jpg

20200615_180201.jpg

20200615_165400.jpg

20200615_153623.jpg

• Like 2