NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The feel of the worms has improved alot John so I think the slow motion cables work well now. It was a matter of turning the worm gear adjustment and also the type of grease used in them.

Yes, I fitted the new worm units supplied by Rowan which I understand had a different type of grease in them. Rowan have been really responsive during the beta testing of the AZ 100. Such a refreshing approach to launching a new product :icon_salut:

• Like 1

Last year, like many before me i got fed up of fighting with an Heq5 Pro and decided to try an Alt/Az mount. An Altair Sabre duly appeared which i liked the simplicity of however i felt it was lacking in control at higher magnifications. Me being heavy handed probably played a part in that as well.

So my thoughts turned to an Az/EQ6, then Flo announced the AZ100 and i got a bit excited as it looked very nice. 

So have had the AZ100 for a week now and have had a chance to examine and play with it a bit.

I really like what i have seen so far, very impressed. It moves very smoothly either via the controls or by hand, just oozes quality and has been well put together with care - the bolts holding the end plates for example were greased on assembly.Then there are those anodised covers for the rear of the worm boxes that were absent from the prototype pictures, these could so easily have been rubber blanking grommets. A baader pin spanner fits the front and rear worm box covers. These are only finger tight as i discovered when drying condensation off the mount. Attention to detail is great.

As @johninderby has done a sterling job of covering images of the mount so far, i will stick to what i have played with.

The Nexus DSC has a wide range of operating voltages i was happy to see it charged off of my powerbank without issue. Its also connected to Sky Safari on my Android phone, just needed the port number changed in Sky Safari and away it went. Still learning how to use it though.

I had intended to try using a Primaluce clamp, being used to the PM and ADM clamps i was unsure of how strong the Rowan twin clamping arrangement would be compared to the full length variations. Now I know I should not have been concerned by this. The Primaluce does fit, however only using 2 bolts and i was wanting something a bit more substantial. As its design does not lend itself to additional holes being drilled i then took a look at the ADM dual clamp. This needed to have holes drilled.

As @John said it does look a bit feeble compared to the Rowan clamp and mount

IMGP4125.thumb.JPG.15a29f20e78f112eee00b41c0baf0d72.JPG

A slight annoyance with both of the above is you could nip your fingers when mounting a scope as they were so close to the Altitude Clutch Tensioner (which uses a strip of Teflon to do this).

So not entirely happy with my current options I placed another order this week for a Rowan Losmandy clamp and 2 counterweights, the white skywatcher one one did not look the part. That was painful  as i will likely need a third weight - my C9.25 is a heavy beast.

As said the Rowan Losmandy clamp is now machined to take the counterweight bar

IMGP4126.thumb.JPG.3682f14b593646275c7059b8382a834c.JPG

I have added an addition or modification or two to some to things since I got the mount. More low profile allens for the counterweight bar mount and as I get fed up of unscrewing or dropping counterweight safety bolts despite always using them, i tried a pair of nylon spinlock clamps more normally used on weight bars in gyms. Black may be a better colour option though

IMGP4128.thumb.JPG.4adabcb9e3ae1be543ace7abfe61734d.JPG

Does the job and are easily removed, not strong enough to use on a EQ mount where gravity would prevail and broken feet or toes could occur.

One thing i did not like was the plastic knob used to lock the DSC shelf in place. Not even a serrated edge to help with gripping it, also likely to wear out being plastic.

IMGP4131.thumb.JPG.ecc1e0a7d083336e820db7e7d1e4699e.JPG

This uses the traditional 1/4 20tpi photo mount thread, so a half nut and washer were fitted instead. An added advantage with this is it gives a couple of turns more thread into the mount

IMGP4132.thumb.JPG.63f5979b477bc5951808e9c0d45e34c7.JPG

I have never liked these coiled cables once they stretch a bit there is a tendency for them to get knotted. The encoders use a RJ11 socket to a RJ45 in the Nexus, so i made a new cable out of 4 core CAT5 cable. Not the best choice of cable as its solid core, so I dont hold out to much hope on longevity. This is something i will look further into.

IMGP4134.thumb.JPG.9c8f209ed0ac5eb5af729c63a554823f.JPG

IMGP4135.thumb.JPG.d23912c0d567cca2176f9c2c878fe659.JPG

There appears to have been an extra holes added to the production model, so a Nexus can be mounted on either side along with additional 2 M5 threaded holes.

The final things i have adapted are due to me using a different mounting arrangement -  planet tripod with a 6inch  riser and an altair pier adaptor. First was to use a bit of allthread to make a stud for the M12 centre fitting and just use a flanged bolt to secure it through the top plate. That will save wear on the aluminium mount thread. Since Rowan were kind enough to have added extra holes on the base i put them to use, and used them to secure the pier adaptor to the mount, this in turn uses 4 m8 bolts to attach to the riser.

IMGP4140.thumb.JPG.79ce0432a2ef174d14c8f74e24e794c0.JPG

Now if only i can get a chance to use it

Edited by omo
  • Like 5

Nice to see your post👍🏻

Will be interested to see how you get on with the Nexus DSC. I might go with the Nexus II sometime in the future. Let Rowan know about the tray holding knob and I’m sure they’ll come up with something better. 

An idea for Rowan. A quick release counterweight safety knob? 🤔

Yes that ADM saddle looks a bit anemic doesn’t it. I had one from my old Skytee but it’s now sitting on John’s Skytee.😁

The usual clouds that came with the mount have meant no proper outing yet but just looked outside and it looks like it’s clearing. 🙏🏼

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, omo said:

I have never liked these coiled cables once they stretch a bit there is a tendency for them to get knotted.

I've been observing with the DSC attached to the holder and in this situation the cables never stretch at all, so there are not likely to be any problems. They stay out of the way and don't get tangled.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Nice to see your post👍🏻

Will be interested to see how you get on with the Nexus DSC. I might go with the Nexus II sometime in the future. Let Rowan know about the tray holding knob and I’m sure they’ll come up with something better. 

An idea for Rowan. A quick release counterweight safety knob? 🤔

Yes that ADM saddle looks a bit anemic doesn’t it. I had one from my old Skytee but it’s now sitting on John’s Skytee.😁

The usual clouds that came with the mount have meant no proper outing yet but just looked outside and it looks like it’s clearing. 🙏🏼

Thank you John, i did find aluminium spinlocks but they were only for 50mm dia bars.

The shelf bolt is part of the DSC kit from Astro Devices so is not really Rowans problem. Many folks would probably prefer the original toolless option as well.

I did have it out a couple of nights ago, then my neighbour went out and put on his security light 😡 I may be purchasing a couple of screens next.

13 minutes ago, omo said:

....I did have it out a couple of nights ago, then my neighbour went out and put on his security light 😡....

If you get in touch with Rowan Astronomy they will send Hypno-Disk round to sort your neighbour out :evil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, John said:

If you get in touch with Rowan Astronomy they will send Hypnodisk around to sort your neigbour out :evil:

I used to watch Robot Wars back then and remember Hypnodisc took things to a different level in terms of destruction. Razer with its hydraulic arm was the other one to impress.

• Like 1

whats the view on having this as a replacement for the Skytee2? ie im thinking of getting one to replace that...plus maybe AZEQ6 replacement also.... would anyone that's used it see a need to keep the ST2 if had this?

The Skytee is a great buy and performs very well for a budget mount but the AZ100 is so much better in every way. Not just a piece of engineering art but a joy to use. Bit like the difference between a Kia and a Ferrari. Both do the same job of getting you from A to B but that’s where the similarity ends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

whats the view on having this as a replacement for the Skytee2? ie im thinking of getting one to replace that...plus maybe AZEQ6 replacement also.... would anyone that's used it see a need to keep the ST2 if had this?

The AZ100 is a lot heavier and more solid than a Skytee II, is better engineered and has a higher capacity. It's a lot more expensive as well of course. @Stu knows the AZEQ6 well and can comment on how that compares with the AZ100 I'm sure.

Personally I would want to hold onto a lighter AZ mount as well though so I would have held onto either the Skytee II or the Ercole. Not sure which would have got the vote but its academic because I'm not purchasing an AZ100 !.

• Like 1

Photos of a Skytee I used to have. That is untill one end fell off. 🙀

Lesson..........don’t put too heavy an OTA on it. Keep OTA weight to about 10kg or less and it will be fine. 

44D94CD3-CEE7-4ACF-8E51-54A57414FEB3.jpeg

DE6C0E95-6D9F-4DA7-BF0A-1FC6EB9C8078.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

As has been mentioned, they are in different classes really. I do intend to get an AZ100, but I will also keep hold of my Ercole. I use that on a Gitzo tripod as a grab and go mount, the AZ100 is much too big for that purpose and fulfills a different need; for a much more stable mount for heavier loading.

I've found from experience that the tripod actually makes a huge difference to the stability of any setup; stick my little Giro-WR on an EQ6 tripod and it happily takes quite heavy loads with little vibration. Putting the AZ100 on the Planet, particularly with the spikes pushed into the ground and it becomes rock solid.

The differences  between the Ercole and AZ100 show up in areas like left to right balance requirements. With the Giro mounts with an unbalanced left to right load you can feel a fair bit of slack when you tighten and loosen off the alt clutch or top lock, that is much less evident (if at all) with the AZ100. Using my 10kg Mewlon on it the other night with no weight, only the CW shaft fitted, it remained perfectly smooth whereas the Ercole would get a bit sticky without a CW weight.

I think the AZE6 is similar in capability to the AZ100 really, goto excluded obviously. Even on a Meade Giant tripod, the AZEQ6 showed some vibration with my Vixen 150ED (20kg!) on it, so I fitted a SteelDrive remote focuser to it to reduce the need to touch the scope. It depends whether you want tracking and Goto or whether manual or push to will do you. I have found the AZ100 tracking using the slow motion controls to be very easy and smooth, and with them being so conveniently placed I use them all the time. In the past I have been a committed 'scope grabber', just grabbing the diagonal to move the scope. Slewing to targets is actually much quicker with the AZ100 as my slew rate is much higher than the AZEQ6 😉😉

Moving back to using the Tak FC100 with binoviewers on my Vixen GP with its admittedly fairly lightweight Vixen aluminium tripod reminded me just how much vibration there is compared with the dual setup (Mewlon/FC100/AZ100/Planet) I used the other day. Not surprising I guess; its definitely a lovely setup.

I hope somewhere in that lot there is some useful info!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

thanks all for quick replies that is really useful and gives me something to think about. 

Initially im looking at the ST2 replacement, not AZEQ6 - however the encoder option for future proofing is tempting . going to give this one some thought as a big outlay either way.

Any views on whether the EQ5 legs would suffice (i assume not)?

@johninderby my OO12 is 14kg 😐 luckily i use it on grass mostly but i feel could be dicing with danger. My other one is APM152 at 8kg so less but length affects balance. 

Edited by jam1e1

The mount is an EQ6 fitting so an EQ6 tripod with it’s 2” legs would be OK. Look for one of the older black EQ6 tripods .

The wooden Berlebach do look beautiful though as well as reducing vibration but extra ££££ 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

Any views on whether the EQ5 legs would suffice (i assume not)?

Given that you can pick up an EQ6 2" stainless steel tripod for £50 or £60 used, it seems to make sense to maximise the stability of the setup.

On 30/12/2019 at 14:40, johninderby said:

Thanks for checking to see how easy alignment is. 

I think an optional adjuster that could fit inbetween the saddle and mount would be a good solution. Wouldn’t be difficult to come up with a design. Say a centre plate with an outer disk with a retaining flange and a grub screw to move the outer disk in relation to the center and a few  grub screws to lock it into place. Or even simpler just the centre plate with outer disk and three grub screws around the outside to lock it into position.

Just a quick update, I've been chatting to Dave about the dual scope alignment, and they have a plan! I should have a test bit of kit with me relatively soon to try out and will report back when I'm able to. If it works as expected it will be a useful addition. At the same time I should get a correctly sized CW shaft soni can try out a correctly balanced single scope.

Watch this space!

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, cnahm said:

Man do I want this mount, but can't really afford it currently. Someday..... 🤩

I am in the same boat, but one day soon I hope.

I have fondled it to death at both the IAS and Astrofest, Dave of Rowan photographed me alongside.
Also shows the Stella Mira 80mm just for @johninderby
AlanAZ100.JPG.d59b7ed130c53f1aedb0dea96d13c101.jpg.0e5f76355d54d4aa13ca81de0b1e904c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alan White said:

I am in the same boat, but one day soon I hope.

I have fondled it to death at both the IAS and Astrofest, Dave of Rowan photographed me alongside.
Also shows the Stella Mira 80mm just for @johninderby

I admire your ability to resist... If I would see it in person, I'm sure I'd just flop down the credit card. Ha ha. The mount looks like an evolution of the Losmandy AZ8, maybe with some T-Rex thrown in... 

Edited by cnahm
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...