Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

The adapter is made by ioptron for the tri pier so it can use a Eq6 or eq5 Mount as the CEM are mounted differently ie not using a centre bolt and uses pre drilled holes in the pier top if your uni28 is an ioptron fit then it’s possible 

6 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

The adapter is made by ioptron for the tri pier so it can use a Eq6 or eq5 Mount as the CEM are mounted differently ie not using a centre bolt and uses pre drilled holes in the pier top if your uni28 is an ioptron fit then it’s possible 

Hello Garry, 

Good to hear from you - thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Appreciate the information here. My UNI28 which I got directly from Berlebach has the Rowan AZ-100 adatpter and fits the mount perfectly. 

So the top of the tripod is designed to receive the AZ-100 mount directly. With the Ioptron adapter - I would need to know what its bottom face is like .

Did you have any photos of what that looks like? 

Thanks again., 

Best.. 

bsdsgl84 

The AZ100 is a standard EQ6 fitting.

Berlebach do several tripod top plates to fit Ioptron mounts so if you used one of them then think the Ioptron tripod adapter should fit.

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, garryblueboy said:

The adapter goes in 3 of the outside M8 pre drilled and threaded holes 

BA1B954D-792F-4196-AA1C-8CF227A400DC.jpeg

Hello Garry, 

Great, thanks for the photo - appreciate it. 

Looks like it won't work with the Rowan Az-100 UNI28 I have.., 

I reached out to Dave at Rowan to enquire about any plans for / advice on extension options. 

In the mean time, I'll contact Berlebach, but suspect their response would be for me to buy an Ioptron tripod or at least an Ioptron head that I'd have to move the legs to - which isn't ideal.., 

Thanks again.., 

Best.,

bsdsgl84 

6 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Why not use a EQ Pier extension 

Hmm.,

I wasn't sure, so I googled the phrase "EQ Pier extension" literally - is this what you are referring to? 

I can't really see how that is supposed to work with my current tripod and the mount, to be honest. Even if the base fits the tripod head, the top (which is what I presume is visible in the picture) isn't compatible with the Rowan AZ-100 base.., 

Thanks again., 

Best.., 

bsdsgl 

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That is the correct extension and fits any EQ6 mount. Used to be available in black but hard to find the black ones nowadays.

Hello John, 

How is the Rowan supposed to sit atop that extension as pictured? 

I've never used nor owned an (Skywatcher) EQ6 mount, so its not a system I'm familiar with - thanks., 

Best., 

bsdsgl84 

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That is the correct extension and fits any EQ6 mount. Used to be available in black but hard to find the black ones nowadays.

I have one of those with my T-Rex mount (also an EQ6 fitting mount). Works very well except that it's a fiddle to attach to the mount - the top plate of the extension has to come off to get to the bolt. I think the answer is to leave it bolted onto the mount all the time but I'm reluctant to to that because I don't need it all the time :icon_scratch:

5 minutes ago, bsdsgl84 said:

Ummm., the product as pictured in your link is not the same as what is used in the link I posted earlier., 

Best.., 

bsdsgl84 

It is identical but shown upside down and the link you gave shows the extension without the top,piece.

Hers some proper photos of the extension that will give you a better idea.

71F7462F-F27B-4971-AA5B-DB3452614E01.jpeg

4706CD33-EACE-4F29-B87D-C3ED2E1958F8.jpeg

12FA6133-4545-4E23-98AC-CDEC3BAE46EE.jpeg

4071DE6B-152F-4E65-BF90-DC284DFDE5B1.jpeg

Hello John,  

Oh - understood, that makes sense - thanks for explaining and the photos to illustrate. 

I've added the item to my AMZN cart - but will see what Dave comes back with - I plan to give them a ring on Monday anyways so will see what they say., 

Thanks again, All! 

Best.., 

bsdsgl84 

Can some give me the rough diameter dimensions of the body and arms 

of this mount ... to give me some idea as I think it's a bit beefier than I first presumed 

Thanks .... Brian 

PS ... there are never any astro shows (in Scotland) or really anywhere for me to see these things 

Edited by Solar B

13 minutes ago, Solar B said:

Can some give me the rough diameter dimensions of the body and arms 

of this mount ... to give me some idea as I think it's a bit beefier than I first presumed 

Thanks .... Brian 

PS ... there are never any astro shows (in Scotland) or really anywhere for me to see these things 

Hi

Roughly 295mm high by 210mm wide without saddles which adds about 30mm per saddle. Diameter of body and arms are about 100mm. Has standard EQ6 fitting.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1