SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which planetarium?

ollypenrice

Folks, I use SkyMap Pro for my planning etc but I'm working on an article about planning imaging projects and would like to mention a range of such programs, especially the free ones. The feature I use most is the one allowing me to test frame a particular chip size and focal length on an object.

Which do you use and which would you recommend? Any supporting comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Olly

Love stellarium for its FOV calculators when planning etc but its best feature for me was being able to take a panoramic photo and add it to the background, now I can really tell when something will appear from behind that tree, or disapear behind the neighbours. Just wish the ascom integration was better.

I also use CdC on my imaging laptop as that does integrate better, but the interface I find a lot less intuitive and friendly.

Edited by upahill
speeling
  • Like 1

I use Sky Safari Pro (not free) on iOS, which has the camera / telescope combination rectangle overlay to see what your potential target will look like in your field of view. You can save your range of setups and display all simultaneously, thereby helping to decide which setup to use for a particular target. You can also save observing lists of targets, with notes, that can be highlighted in the Sky view. It’s just a great portable planetarium and is currently on offer for only £19.99 in the App Store! (I’ll add that I’m not on commission...!).

I use Cartes du Ciels on the obsy PC, but mainly just for slewing to objects, though it does also have the combo rectangle overlay feature.

I look forward to seeing the article.

• Like 2

I am no expert but I use Carte Du Ceil as apart from anything else you can add or take out star catalogues and deep sky catalogues so you can make it as advanced or easy as you like. Maybe you can the others too.

Alan

• Like 2

When I was star-hopping I used Cartes du Ciel because it is very easy to place multiple finder and /or eyepiece circles on a chart, and a legible black-on-white copy can be printed with just 2 clicks.

• Like 2

I'll expand that I prefer Stellarium's FoV display as it's easy to cycle through the 'scope / sensor combinations you might have, and the object images are generally more as you might image, rather than CduC's simpler graphics, it's also easier to check different dates / times for imaging. However for telescope control Cartes du Ciel has it, since I found Stellariumscope to be flakey at best. It might, *just* be OK with my HEQ5 but there's no way I'd trust it with my ASA mount, even if it could connect (I haven't tried it,and have no intention of trying).

Stellarium does, however have a much better night vision setting, as it turns the whole display red, whereas CduC leaves a lot of white around the edges. Better to use a red filter over the screen.

Ekos/Kstars. Anything from simple planetarium to full robotic observatory automation. Free. 

This demo video is a few years old now. A lot has happened since then

Kstars is available on Windows, Mac and Linux (pc or single board computer, such as Raspberry Pi). 

Edited by wimvb

I use SkyMap Pro, same as you, and also use it for telescope pointing via EQMOD.  Unfortunately, SMP rather spoils you when it comes to comparing it to freebies such as Cartes Du Ciel (clunky user interface) or Stellarium (pretty, but eats PC RAM).

SMP is intuitive and user-friendly, and the EQMOD tie-in allows seamless transfer from planning a session and potential image framing to actual imaging.  It is my go-to programme, quite literally.

On a phone/tablet, DSO Planner is a nice piece of software. There's a range of versions  from free to about £16, with bigger catalogues and telescope control as you move up.

Observing lists can be created, and notes made as targets are observed, including the taking of audio notes so you don't have to take your eye from the eyepiece.

Edited by Gfamily

• 5 months later...

Hi Gfamily

I use DSO as well,  it certainly is a fantastic piece of software. Do you know if there is a facility to save Object Selection parameters for quick recall ? 

For instance,  an Object Selection just for all constellation Messier objects. Would be handy instead of having to re-enter the list parameters when just targeting all sky Messier objects. 

Ciaran.

(Update:  I've been in touch with Alex the DSO dev and he advised building an SQL database interrogation string and saving that for future use)

Edited by Ciaran Meier
Update

Hi Olly. Stellarium is quick and easy to use and the tool I usually turn to. CdC is more of a faff for me, but I like the use of simple graphics to show the extent of the target. A bit more useful than Stellarium's images which are based on whatever is in the database and don't necessarily cover the full extent of the target.

About to start experimenting with the Framing Assistant in NINA. It is not really a planetarium programme, but it looks like it will really help you with framing and mosaicing once you have decided your target. 

One of the best Fov simulators I've found is the Imaging Toolbox on Blackwaterskies here:

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/imaging-toolbox/

And being a website, you can use it on your phone too. Good for spontaneous checks!

I also use the mobile apps for stellarium and telescopius (formerly dso-browser) to check in advance where an object will be throughout the night. 

Finally, here is a great website that tells you how much astro dark, twilight, etc there is on any given night of the year for any location. This one's set to Belfast, N.I 

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/belfast

Edited by Xiga
Spelling

I have Stellarium, CdC etc but if I’m honest I rarely use them. 

I generally use the skywatcher app or some other such app and have a look through ‘the nights best’ suggestions and see what looks interesting. 

I’m so new to imaging that I have a few things I want to tick off my list as well so have an occasional flick through Stellarium or SkySafari if I’m on my phone to see what might be a good option but more often than not I just browse the best of lists.