Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Planets

DaveS

Oi you lot!

Marmite comes from Branston, near Burton upon Trent.

As my signature used to say DE14 - Marmite, Branston Pickle and Marston's beer, via the Burton Union Brewing system. The best postcode in England.

My daughter was born in DE13, a few streets from DE14

• Like 2

Brian Cox? Oh... the multi-millionaire Twitterer re. the stuff
we (wisely) are NOT allowed to discuss on SGL! [teasing] 😋

More a <Klaxon> than a <Ding> this time... Eh, readers? 😸

Edited by Macavity

I don't usually like Brian Cox's presentation style. Too gushing. But he toned that down a bit in the first episode of the Planets that I watched last night. 

I enjoyed it. Unlike a lot of modern documentaries, that assume the viewer has the attention span of a goldfish, the programme was more like a lecture with superb graphics. It had pace, or at least more pace than a lot of science documentaries, which only too often have  tediously slow delivery. You had to pay attention  to Brian Cox to follow the narrative. 

OK, I knew a lot of it, but I learnt some things too. For example I hadn't realised that the evidence sugests Mercury has lost a lot of its rocky mantle in a major collision, or maybe a succession of smaller collisions. Also that the planet had once been further out in the solar system because of the presence of certain elements detected on Mercury's surface.  I wondered just how speculative all this was. 

Personally I thought the programme was worth watching, and I'm not Brian Cox's biggest fan. I will try and catch episode 2 anyway. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the programme very much. Normally I find that at the end of a Prof Cox programme, despite appearing to understand everything he just said, I realise that I have very little idea of what he was going on about. This time it was very different, I knew a great deal of what was included already (thank you GCSE Astronomy) and happily followed the whole show with ease. I was waiting for him to mention the Frost Line, but so far I have been disappointed! I thought the programme was interesting, informative, well put together and looked great (the images/graphics, not the prof!). Any astronomy programming on TV gets a thumbs up from me and I look forward to the rest of this series.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2019 at 17:49, johninderby said:

Which brings up the subject of Vegemite vs Marmite. Which is better / worse?

4E85F929-CCB8-4565-9BA8-EB45CF7041A4.jpeg

I always liked Marmite, then I tried Vegemite in it's natural habitat (Oz). Did it for me. Now I'll only have the wife's Marmite if I've run out of the good stuff!!

I too enjoyed the programme, I considered that the presentation was thoughtful, informative and engaging. As mentioned the graphics were really good and the historic pioneering exploratory features particularly interesting. It has been the TV highlight this week and look forward to the next episode. Brian Cox presentation style was quite toned down this time and the locations were visually entertaining such as the imagined Norwegian fjord comparison with methane lakes on Titan. 

• Like 2