Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Moon-Watcher

What scope is best for viewing/photography?

Ok.  Hello.  Just starting astronomy again. Would like to view/photograph moon/planets and maybe sun?

What would be best scope for this?  My 200p dobsonian or a skywatcher 120 refractor?

I also have a goto EQ5.

Thanks

You're not new so ill skip the usual warning about the sun ? but if it was me I would only really consider imaging with the refractor. I know there are people who have some success with dobsonian imaging but much much easier on an EQ mount from my experience.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  The 120 will be on an eq3 2 mount but I have here a still unused eq5.

So in terms of picture clarity, what would be the main difference between the 120 and 200?

And yes, I will use a filter for viewing the sun ?

Thanks again

I would say for planets and the Moon - dob. It will be very well for observing, and if it's driven for photography.

For Solar white light - best option is to go for refractor and Herschel wedge, but regular solar filter can be used as well (full aperture one like Baader solar filter).

In general you want aperture for high power observing and AP.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Following on from the above, if you use a refractor, a solar wedge is less likely to get severely damaged, (i.e. pinpricks, tears, etc., if using an approved solar safety film or the coatings wearing off, if is glass), over time ...unless you drop it. :crybaby2:

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

Above is my TeleVue Ranger with a Lunt 1.25" solar wedge ...the sky was overcast when I took this image. :clouds1:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 12:44, Moon-Watcher said:

Ok.  Hello.  Just starting astronomy again. Would like to view/photograph moon/planets and maybe sun?

What would be best scope for this?  My 200p dobsonian or a skywatcher 120 refractor?

I also have a goto EQ5.

Thanks

The equipment mentioned will limit you to using a video (webcam or phone with adaptor) to record footage of the Moon, larger planets and the sun (using proper sun filters) and then stacking the frames in software.  The EQ5 will offer better results as with excellent polar alignment it will track the targets so you'll get sharper images.  So basically the 120 refractor on  the EQ5 (assuming the scope is within the weight limit of the mount) would be your best bet

Put your 200mm Newtonian on the EQ5 for imaging the Moon and planets and swap it out for a good small refractor for imaging DSO's.   😀

I'd put the 200p newtonion on eq5 mount

.because aperture is king.nuff said really

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astronut_Al
      Hi everyone, 
      Can anyone confirm (or refute) - have I imaged Ganymede and Europa in orbit around Jupiter or is that just wishful thinking? (Only equipment used was a Lumix G7 with 150mm zoom lens - effectively 300mm with 2x crop factor - and of course a tripod).
      It appears to be the case and yet I can't quite allow myself to believe it...
      Thanks from an old newbie.

• By Beckiii__
      I took these two photos only seconds apart. The top bit I took secondly. I’m not sure what it is I’ve captured. But can anyone tell me what it could be??

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Posting in this forum after too long!
      One of the first attempts at taking photos of the moon.
      All photos taken using skywatcher 90mm refractor with eq2 mount, Nikon DSLR and 2x Barlow here and there.
      No exposure.
      Basic editing in cellphone.
      Thank you! Suggestions highly appreciated!

• By Andrew Larmour
      Hi all, 

Absolute newby here - my first foray into astronomy. I bought a Saxon 1400mm 6" refractor secondhand complete with a EQ mount for a bargain price and I'm keen to get it working properly for both planetary and deep space observations.

I invested in a few extras such as a laser collimator and a 3x barlow. I think I have a handle on how it all works including the EQ mount.  I took the scope out for a test over Easter - which just happened to coincide with a ISS transit of the full moon. Rippa, I thought, that would be great to capture on my first night of observations. The problem I have is the complete inability to focus the scope to anything like sharp enough.
      I have some photos I took with the scope attached: 
      The scene with the normal camera lens for my daylight practice session
      A shot of a distant house with the telescope (using a Nikon D7000 on a t-mount adaptor)
      The same house with the barlow attached
      A shot of the moon- no barlow - as sharp as I could get it - certainly no way to see the silhouette of the ISS with the scope this out of focus
      When I was collumating the scope, I noticed a that the reflection on the primary mirror was not a single spot but rather a line

... which means that the laser on the collimator target is a line rather than a dot

I confirmed that this is not a problem with the shape of the laser beam coming from the collimator by showing the shape on my hand at a distance of 14m

I'm not sure if the distortion of the laser is the fault of the secondary mirror or the lens(es) in the bottom of the eyepiece mount. I'm also not sure if this distortion is what is causing the inability to focus the scope, but I suspect that both issues are symptoms of the same problem.
      I'd appreciate any ideas on what to do next to resolve the focus issue. 

• By Jason126
      Newb here. I have settled on my first telescope being the 4SE or 6SE and I have a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR I would like to be able to connect to play around with AP. I am barely starting to grasp the terminology involved with telescopes in general but it seems connecting a camera to a telescope is a whole different ball game.
      It seems as though the 4SE has a separate eyepiece and camera attachment? Looks like you can just flip a knob to swap between the viewer and camera? Whereas the 6SE it appears that you have to remove the whole eyepiece to connect the camera. After reading some reviews everyone says they immediately wanted a more powerful telescope so I am thinking the 6SE may be the way to go but I really don't like the idea of having to swap back and forth by removing the eyepiece, is there an after-market accessory that would allow it to work more like the 4SE (flip a switch from viewer to camera and back)?
      And I guess my other question is are the optics really that much better on the 6SE that it would be worth the hassle when connecting the camera? I see that the light gathering capability and magnification are better but how perceivable is that difference? My goal is to do some moon viewing but it would be great to see some cool deep space objects too. +
      One final thought, how much does the auto star tracking feature help or hurt the image quality? I mean on a 20 second+ exposure the object is going to move some amount, is the Nexstar tracking system really able to keep the object that precisely still in the optics? Or should I just expect to get blurry spots of light when photographing deep space objects?
      Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.