NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What scope is best for viewing/photography?

Ok.  Hello.  Just starting astronomy again. Would like to view/photograph moon/planets and maybe sun?

What would be best scope for this?  My 200p dobsonian or a skywatcher 120 refractor?

I also have a goto EQ5.

Thanks

You're not new so ill skip the usual warning about the sun ? but if it was me I would only really consider imaging with the refractor. I know there are people who have some success with dobsonian imaging but much much easier on an EQ mount from my experience.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  The 120 will be on an eq3 2 mount but I have here a still unused eq5.

So in terms of picture clarity, what would be the main difference between the 120 and 200?

And yes, I will use a filter for viewing the sun ?

Thanks again

I would say for planets and the Moon - dob. It will be very well for observing, and if it's driven for photography.

For Solar white light - best option is to go for refractor and Herschel wedge, but regular solar filter can be used as well (full aperture one like Baader solar filter).

In general you want aperture for high power observing and AP.

• Like 1

Following on from the above, if you use a refractor, a solar wedge is less likely to get severely damaged, (i.e. pinpricks, tears, etc., if using an approved solar safety film or the coatings wearing off, if is glass), over time ...unless you drop it. :crybaby2:

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

Above is my TeleVue Ranger with a Lunt 1.25" solar wedge ...the sky was overcast when I took this image. :clouds1:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/05/2019 at 12:44, Moon-Watcher said:

Ok.  Hello.  Just starting astronomy again. Would like to view/photograph moon/planets and maybe sun?

What would be best scope for this?  My 200p dobsonian or a skywatcher 120 refractor?

I also have a goto EQ5.

Thanks

The equipment mentioned will limit you to using a video (webcam or phone with adaptor) to record footage of the Moon, larger planets and the sun (using proper sun filters) and then stacking the frames in software.  The EQ5 will offer better results as with excellent polar alignment it will track the targets so you'll get sharper images.  So basically the 120 refractor on  the EQ5 (assuming the scope is within the weight limit of the mount) would be your best bet