Skies looking good tonight, and this week!

Stu

All but Friday evening looking good here - Friday is Astro Society evening but we have a speaker so thats OK.

Had a great outreach session at the Society observatory last night with my 12 inch dob. Looks like further sessions at home to come this week :thumbright:

21 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

plus, it looks like Spain and Portugal are protected by the invisible Wall! :)
Clouds just bounce OFF!!
jealous!!!

I've often thought the same about this quote.????

This could be my first time imaging DSOs all year -- although theres some high cloud moving about here in the South West! ? M106 (hopefully) -- though theres a horrible streetlight which is at exactly the same dec as the galaxy. :D I think Ursa Major etc has moved high enough up in the sky now that it should be ok. ;) 

Hope yall have clear skies!

John

Good start here - Sirus B with the 12 inch dob at 227x. Held the gleaming "Pup" star quite easily with direct vision as it drifted across the field behind the blazing Sirus :icon_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, John said:

Good start here - Sirus B with the 12 inch dob at 227x. Held the gleaming "Pup" star quite easily with direct vision as it drifted across the field behind the blazing Sirus :icon_biggrin:

Well done! If you're seeing SiriusB with direct vision you have.got great seeing there. I find it a challenge with Sirius at 70 degrees elevation, though usually doable.

Bittersweet for me (not the clear skies part, of course)! A new CCD and IR filter on the way which should arrive by Wednesday, but I'm away two nights this week (tonight and Thursday) and want to do some lunar imaging. 

Sorry for those who had clouds, but I did manage a nice 2 hour session with my Genesis and Mewlon, and a little black box of magic ;). Will post up when I have time.

I moved on from Sirius to galaxy spotting in Leo and Ursa Major. Not the best transparency but good enough to have some fun.

Clear here again tonight I think - 3 nights on the trot - inconceivable !!!

I had a long session last night using the 12" Dob. Lots of DSOs around Canes Venatici and Coma Berencies. Nice grouping of NGC 4485 and 4490 + NGC 4618 and 4625. Then slightly over to M94.

Tried to view NGC 5053 and NGC 5466 both Globs but transparency ruined the show - both very faint.

12" Dob still outside and hopefully will stay there until Saturday.

Had a go last night despite having a gammy knee. Not much success, which I put down to my lack of purely visual experience as I'm nearly 100% imaging, though the straight-through 9x50 finder on my Mak 180 didn't help, need a RACI.

The only success I had was getting the easy target of the Leo Triplet which pretty much filled the FoV of a 38mm Panaview eyepiece. Conclusion? a 180 Mak-Cass is probably not the ideal galaxy 'scope, but it's either that, or the Meg90 which doesn't have a finder as it's currently set up for solar. I did have a try for M101 but to no avail, just couldn't find it which I put down to my own failings.

Still, I enjoyed being out under reasonably dark skies, seeing the stars of Coma Berenice nice and clear, they are too faint to see from Ruislip, all 7 stars of UMi not just visible but clear and bright with a lot of the fainter stars also clear. Winter Milky Way also visible despite a less than ideal elevation

Archived