Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you have one eye better than the other?

markclaire50

25 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi

I need glasses but always prefer taking them off to look through my scope. 

Unless you have astigmatism there is no need to wear your glasses, the scope effectively does the work of your glasses.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Stu said:

Unless you have astigmatism there is no need to wear your glasses, the scope effectively does the work of your glasses.

I'm sure I'm supposed to have astigmatism in my right eye, but I never notice a problem. Or is it my left? ?

I'll have to ask next time I get them tested. 

On 28/02/2019 at 19:26, Stu said:

Quite agree Stu but it's a bit of a faff taking them on and off to study charts, observing lists etc.

6 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Quite agree Stu but it's a bit of a faff taking them on and off to study charts, observing lists etc.

I know, I know! Drives me bananas particularly with finders. I try to have optical ones adjusted so I don't need my glasses but Telrads/RDFs need glasses, and I always end up looking over them not through them! Contacts would probably be better but that's even more phaff!

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I know, I know! Drives me bananas particularly with finders. I try to have optical ones adjusted so I don't need my glasses but Telrads/RDFs need glasses, and I always end up looking over them not through them! Contacts would probably be better but that's even more phaff!

Yes. Glasses are a pain. When I'm looking through a finder at blurred stars I just have to hope the target is bright enough to see.. ?

On 28/02/2019 at 15:00, markclaire50 said:

I had a friend in Polytech (showing my age) who was forced to write with his right hand in school. He was born in 1964/1965.

My dad was a post-war (just) baby and was also forced to write right-handed despite being left-handed.  He never lost the ability to write left-handed though.  When in later life he became a teacher, he used to sit or stand in front of the blackboard turning to his right to write on the board with one hand until he reached halfway, then swapping the chalk into his other hand and continuing to his left :)

James

I'm more or less blind in my left eye from birth. And also have a small scar over my right eye. Due to a rare disease from wearing contacts.

However I still manage to get sharp views as thankfully the scar only plays up with my sight slightly in daylight. Night time is perfect. 

I am naturally right handed.  I also shoot with my right eye and squeeze the trigger with my right finger.  However, I've also been professionally assessed and I am actually physically about as 'left eyed' as it probably possible to get and have been told that if I could persevere I'd probably be more accurate shooting with my left eye and squeezing the trigger with my left hand.  Despite my reservations when I tried I could indeed down clay's shooting off my left side, but I still shoot right handed out of preference.  I also use both eyes on the telescope, but probably always start out with my right one.  

https://www.diyphotography.net/a-neat-trick-to-determine-your-dominant-eye/

The above test agrees that I am left eye dominant

My left one is good at distance whereas my right is good close up. I suppose together they are like Jack Sprat and his wife. It's the left I use for observing but my finder is slightly to the left of my scope so I use my right to look through that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have severe astigmatism in both eyes making observing difficult which is why I prefer imaging.  I did do some observing but found it too awkward.  My left eye is dominant though I'm right handed.

On 28/02/2019 at 01:46, markclaire50 said:

I'm right handed. I wonder if there is a correlation? 

There is a correlation between which is your 'dominant' eye and whether you are left or right handed.  IIRC the majority of people who are right handed are right eye dominant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

My left eye is slightly far sighted with considerable astigmatism and my right eye is quite near sighted with little astigmatism. 

I don't need glasses really. I drive with my left eye and read with my right :) !

No, but seriously. For observing my right eye is much preferred, even though I have a small blind spot directly in the center of my right eye's vision. I hate trying to focus with my varifocal glasses on using my left eye. 

My eyes get tired in poor light these days, with or without glasses.

On 28/02/2019 at 16:47, mikeDnight said:

Hi Mark,

Yes I did see both the E & F stars. I see them regularly but last night was particularly steady, so they were a little easier than usual. Sadly I didn't attempt identifying the tiny blood red star. My observing session was more of a mystery tour last night, as I just wanted to view the sights. If I remember rightly, I was near or within Cassiopeia. It's secondary companion tried tricking me into thinking it was grey/blue, but studying it for some time I came to the conclusion it too was a red star only less bright, and it was the intensity of the blood red primary that overpowered the colour of the fainter secondary.

I'm not sure what the Rayleigh limit is supposed to be for a 100mm scope, and I rarely pay much attention to theoretical limits. I read years ago that a 4" scope can split 1.1 arc seconds, but back in the early 2000's, Sky & Telescope ran an article showing the separation of Sigma 1126 close to Procyon as being 0.9"arc. I along with my friend Derek both made a definite split using a Vixen 102mm F6.5 ED apo, which was way beyond the scopes ability according to theory.

I can imagine everyone on this forum shouting "Oh, don't get him started about his #¥₩₩☆$ telescope"!!  :icon_puke_r:

It's a Takahashi FC100DC. Which is a 100mm F7.4 Steinheil fluorite apo doublet. The FC100D fluorites are quite popular on SGL.

1090387059_2019-02-2514_35_31.thumb.jpg.902f7ded420dc2d229cbee4897fc9239.jpg

Completely off topic, that Vixen mount is just magnificent Mike. Piece of engineering art.

On topic, weak right eye, good left, yet happily all comes together nicely when binoviewing..

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Completely off topic, that Vixen mount is just magnificent Mike. Piece of engineering art.

On topic, weak right eye, good left, yet happily all comes together nicely when binoviewing..

Thanks Mark, 

I really love the Vixen GP and can't imagine ever parting with it. It's rock solid both on the observatory pier and on its aluminium tripod, and tracks smoothly and precisely. I recently replaced the old Vixen RA drive with the SW EQ5 Duel axis drive with the new style handset, which works perfectly on the GP.

On topic, I'm constantly amazed at how much more easily I see subtle detail using both eyes as opposed to one. I'm happy using mono viewing but happier still using both eyes with a binoviewer, as it seems to cancel out weaknesses such as one weak eye or floater problems. Atmospheric turbulence seems to be reduced too when using a binoviewer, so using both eyes is a win win!

Archived