Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Found the listing, saw this on Ebay the othr day and to me they look very simlar. Maybe your 2 are copies of these Laurie61

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271565616163&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

click on original listing link and scroll down for a bigger view, look identical!

what dya reckon

Edited by bomberbaz

Lovely set. Is that 56mm a Meade 4000? How do the 2" Meade 4000 stand up to the slightly newer Meade offerings, anyone know? I might like to get my hands on one as they tend to be a lot more affordable and I love the 5000 UWA and HD-60 that I have already.

There where 2 runs of Meade 4000 series. 1st was the pseudo-masuyama 5 element smoothside produced in Japan and 4 element with rubber eye guard produced in taiwan. the one in the picture is the later one.Also there is a 55mm televue plossl available(the one you have),out of the bunch on test,best was the 5 element smoothside,followed by Televue,leaving the 4 element in the last place.However,difference wasnt that great,and once again,i can bet,under UK skies the seeing difference will be even less noticable,if any.

i doubt you could call the smootshide version very affordable,the whole series are thought after and a lot of people use them,collect them.At the end of a day it is a quality glass from Japan and unfortunately out of production.

The 2x20mm plossls are again later run of Celestron`s produced in China/taiwan.Not desirable by any means.WIll be OK-ish performers.Desirable ones are so called Silvertops.There is another topic about them here in eye piece discussion topic.

However,your 40mm ortho is very rare and highly thought after eye piece! If you could hunt down all the other remaining fullerscope orthos,you will have a nice collectible set of history. :)

• Like 2

Lovely set. Is that 56mm a Meade 4000? How do the 2" Meade 4000 stand up to the slightly newer Meade offerings, anyone know? I might like to get my hands on one as they tend to be a lot more affordable and I love the 5000 UWA and HD-60 that I have already.

Yes, the Meade is a 4000 series. It performs very well but is edged out by the big TV. Although the Meade is 56 mm versus 55 mm for the TV the field of view is slightly larger in the TV. The Meade is sharp across the field but is let down a bit by its coatings I think. The view in the TV shows better contrast.  

• Like 1

Good knowledge Dude, thanks :)

I've found one of what is presumably the new runs here: http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/07178-02.html and a couple of other places, which was what I meant by affordable. To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about it properly last night anyway - given that the scope I would primarily use any 2" EPs in will be the F5 frac I'm currently renovating, 30mm is about the lowest I can use because of the low mags and size of the exit pupil, 26x and 5.8mm respectively.

• Like 1

I think that the 2 unidentified plossl's are later versions of this but maybe someone else can verify this  http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=314549

i saw somewthing almost identical on ebay

Yes, they look like the ones   :smiley: I received mine bundled  with my big bino's and they are OK performers. Biggest problem I find with them is no eye cups to reduce stray light. So I made some and whilst I was at It one for the BGO as well. They are made from plastic tube and flocking material.  :smiley:

post-30467-0-13155100-1407845313_thumb.p 

• Like 1

Good knowledge Dude, thanks :)

I've found one of what is presumably the new runs here: http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/07178-02.html and a couple of other places, which was what I meant by affordable. To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about it properly last night anyway - given that the scope I would primarily use any 2" EPs in will be the F5 frac I'm currently renovating, 30mm is about the lowest I can use because of the low mags and size of the exit pupil, 26x and 5.8mm respectively.

yep,these are the ones you dont want to waste your money on.the same 4000 meade 4element plossls are also sold under Bresser name too.cheap chinese glass comes under different names and if you cant sell them as individual eye piece,they come as bucket full sets or rebranded.

my personal opinion:better save up and buy quality and enjoy it.if needs to be save for few month or longer but get the one you really want.Old vintage produced in Japan are always off best quality,not easy to obtain sometimes,but then again,there are modern equivalents available in likes of Televue,Pentax,Explore Scientific,Vixen.All these despite produced in Taiwan still have high quality controls and are off good quality.Again,that is my personal opinion and you dont have to agree with it by any means necessary.

Edited by Dude_with_the_tube
  • Like 2

Nice set Avtar :smiley:  

.......Old vintage produced in Japan are always off best quality,not easy to obtain sometimes,but then again,there are modern equivalents available in likes of Televue,Pentax,Explore Scientific,Vixen.All these despite produced in Taiwan still have high quality controls and are off good quality.Again,that is my personal opinion and you dont have to agree with it by any means necessary.

I agree that Japanese glass is usually excellent and worth seeking out.

A number of the Tele Vue, Pentax and Vixen ranges are still Japanese made but all the ranges are subject to tight quality assurance as you would expect from those brands. 100% of Tele Vue eyepieces are tested prior to being released for sale.

It looks like the smaller of the Maplins ones with the cubed foam inner. They are very popular on the forum :smiley:

I thought it might be. I nearly got the set of three sizes on offer, but plumped for the slightly more expensive one which is *supposed* to be a much harder wearing case. Not sure if there's that much in it really though and I might have been better off with the three. Mind you that would have just encourage me to expand... :)

• Like 1