Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Здравейте!

MetroiD

Hello one and all - or "здрасти" as we casually say around these parts! I've been enjoying the forums and the wealth of information they provide quite a bit lately so I figured it's time I registered and tried to make a contribution.

I consider myself someone who's just starting to find their feet around astronomy as a hobby / particular area of interest. For the theoretical part of things, last year I enrolled in a wonderful master's degree program in Astronomy at the local university aimed at complete beginners / outsiders to the world of physics & space, and am currently looking at formulating and defending a thesis in half a year's time, which I would ideally like to base around the scientific merits of observational astronomy. In practical terms, my experience is rather limited - I did purchase an Olympus Trooper DPS I 10x50 a few years back but have not really done too much stargazing using the binoculars. Having said that, an incredibly beautiful sighting of the M42 nebula on a cold winter's night from my very own balcony in the heart of downtown Sofia is what ignited my desire to get serious about Astronomy in the first place - so I now consider the 10x50 binos an essential part of my "kit" which I use to get myself familiarized with the local skies whenever I travel to foreign lands.

For more serious observing, I have recently acquired an 8" dob - the much-loved Skywatcher Skyliner 200p - and am now looking to make the most of its potential. My initial purchase of a 1.25" Celestron EP & filter kit has helped me determine the focal lengths I should prioritize, and now that I've passed along the set to a fellow budding observer, I've replaced it with a line-up of 82-degree AFOV eyepieces currently comprising a 24mm Meade 5000 UWA, a 16mm Skywatcher Nirvana UWAN, an 8.8mm ES 82 and a 5.5mm Meade 5000 UWA. Next, I'm planning to invest in a Lumicon OIII filter and potentially a Baader Hyperion Zoom (which I think would be ideal for our public outreach events) - but not before spending some quality time under the stars with my new equipment. As one could expect, the gods of weather have not taken too kindly to my recent acquisitions.

Once again, I must say I find this an incredibly informative and helpful forum - I can't thank you enough for sharing your wisdom, thoughts, recommendations and ideas. Astronomy is not necessarily the most popular hobby in Sofia, Bulgaria (yes, this is the "здравейте / здрасти" place) but I've found that this 'hobby' boasts a great community which I'm eager to be part of - and, of course, I consider SGL the equivalent of that on a more global scale.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am really looking forward to contributing :)

Also, I'm definitely planning on picking your brains with regards to how the community feels observational astronomy is contributing to serious scientific research, especially as compared to astrophotography whose merits have been rather extensively documented. Just to clarify - not taking sides here, au contraire; it is my intention to try and ascertain how both aspects of our hobby complement each other on a 'serious' level.

Archived