Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

(Nice) things wrong with SGL

domstar

This is a great forum and I wouldn't be a stargazer today without the help and encouragement from the people here. 

BUT whenever I go stargazing now, I have a running commentary in my head as if I'm writing an observation report. I just can't shake it and most of the time I don't even write the report. It's that awful thought of being aware of being aware of being aware of what I'm doing. Even this post was composed during stargazing when I caught myself giving a commentary (silently). 

Tell me I'm not alone.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember the OLD DAYS (last century!) when all we had were... Books? ?
Despite the "Joys of the Interweb", I still print out some stuff to read later!

I can still recall whole chunks of the "Observer's Book of Astronomy" etc.
Not sure whether the "voices in my head" are Me, SPM or Ronnie Barker? ?

I've talked to myself since I was a very tiny person.  I too often write things down on paper and like books plus have often printed out things to read later.

I have to admit that when I start a new project I do start taking photos and notes with a view to posting on here at some point.

I also am one that talks to myself and my PC all day and sings out loud when I am walking about town (things like popye the sailor man and nursery rhymes)....for some reason I get very odd looks :icon_biggrin:

Alan

27 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have to admit that when I start a new project I do start taking photos and notes with a view to posting on here at some point.

I do that too. I've got some from a project I 'started' about 5 years ago, yet to be finished!!

2 hours ago, Macavity said:

Remember the OLD DAYS (last century!) when all we had were... Books? ?
Despite the "Joys of the Interweb", I still print out some stuff to read later!

I can still recall whole chunks of the "Observer's Book of Astronomy" etc.
Not sure whether the "voices in my head" are Me, SPM or Ronnie Barker? ?

You are not alone there Chris, I cannot read anything by Sir Patrick, without it being his voice and his style of delivery that I 'hear'.

Bad things part two- I have most of the kit I want and a Herschel wedge coming tomorrow and I've just let my head be turned by a 10 inch, which has just been sold to someone else. Without this forum I wouldn't covet astro gear so much.

43 minutes ago, domstar said:

Bad things part two- I have most of the kit I want and a Herschel wedge coming tomorrow and I've just let my head be turned by a 10 inch, which has just been sold to someone else. Without this forum I wouldn't covet astro gear so much.

Before I joined SGL, all I had was a set of 10x50 bins. Life was simpler back then, and cheaper. Alcohol+internet+debit card=drunken online shopping at 1am.

? 

6 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Voices in your head is okay, talking to yourself is also okay, it's when you start arguing with yourself you're in trouble! :help2:

Yes, a much used adage is that if you talk to yourself at least you get the right answers, but how do you know that they are right/

2 hours ago, domstar said:

I while back I was really quite content with all my gear no need to spend ages looking at other stuff, reviews etc, yep - got it nailed. I was quite worried. It was just a phase, everything is back to normal now.

You need not talk to yourself, but you could use a Walkman, and whenever you feel the need to express what you are feeling whilst 
observing, dictate those feelings, and after your observing session, you could have enough on tape or chip to assist you in
placing a report on the forum. Members will always appreciate observing reports, and they can be an inspirational  fillip to others.
It's never a good thing to go to a remote site on your own, best to go with friends if possible, then you won't feel 
any reservations about talking to a microphone :icon_biggrin:.

6 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Apparently i have the boxset of Carl Sagan "The Cosmos" arriving tomorrow. 

Whenever I think of Carl Sagan I get the voice of Kermit the Frog in my head. I even wonder if Kermit's voice was based on Carl's. 

Prof. Carl Sagan was very much respected by his students, and everyone else for that matter.
62 was far too young to be taken from the world, but his Cosmos Series will forever be etched into the minds of those of us who
watched it. 

Archived