Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Telescope That You Never Got On With

johninderby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only scope I sold on was a 130P-DS, couldn't be doing with the collimation and the balance from the right-angled optics. Bought a 130 f/7 triplet apo instead.

Now debating if I could be doing with a 12" RC. I'm 90%+ imaging.

My old home-built 8" f/8 newt was a bit of a handful but miss it. As I still have the mirrors I could put them in a new build.

I have a tendency to horde so I have not sold anything for a long while, which is why my signature is getting longer each year. 

I did did sell my first two scopes but those were bought and sold in my teens, the first being a low quality 4.5” Newtonian on a shaky GEM, and the second a brilliant 8”  (never should have sold it) Newt on a silky smooth Alt Az. I have been lucky to get on with all the optical equipment I have so far purchased, probably being so spell bound by the majesty of the universe, I have been able to overlook some issues with my early equipment.

On 11/08/2018 at 19:23, Charic said:

Its a shame no-one is having any issues with their unwanted, ever-so heavy, mount requiring Oberwerk Ultra's or Helios Apollo's. You know the one's I mean! two little 70mm  tubes, hinged in the middle, made to look like binoculars, because I have a plan

Funny you should say that as the Apollo's are probably the thing I don't get on with the most out of all my gear. Not a bad piece of kit by any means but I just find them impractical, and the short eye relied is more of an issue that I thought it would be (it's hard to point them at a target when I can't see anything!)

Billy

I have to say most of my changes have been for trying other things sake scope wise rather than not getting on.

The one thing that I have learnt thus far is that if you big things up before you try they are destined to fail in meeting over sized expectations.

As already said, the wonder of the universe should be enough to subdue any upset with kit. Some of my best memories were formed with my worst kit, go figure that one out.

The only scope that I remember being really bad was my first folding Boots one and at 35mm and handheld, no wonder that it was so bad.

I have bought and sold many, many telescopes over the years. I'm pretty happy with the set that I have now though and the eyepieces. I do feel that "trying for yourself" is the only way to really find out what suits you and fortunately the active "used" market in astro equipment makes that a feasible proposition at relatively little risk and cost.

It does make me smile a little when I read of newcomers to the hobby saying "I want to purchase the right scope, one that will last me many years and that I won't feel the need to upgrade". Good luck with that !

So many before I found one that did suit me (ETX80 - now long unused as I have progressed). One was a 4.5 inch refractor on an EQ mount that completely confused me. The other that sticks in my memory was a 10 inch dob. Before getting it in had no idea how big it was and found it totally unmanageable. Glad to say both got sold on to people who managed to use them so not a total waste of time.

1 hour ago, John said:

It does make me smile a little when I read of newcomers to the hobby saying "I want to purchase the right scope, one that will last me many years and that I won't feel the need to upgrade". Good luck with that !

I definitely fell into that category when I rekindled my interest in the hobby 5-6 years ago. After months of research I thought the new C6 Evolution, with fancy mobile phone-controlled go-to, would be a lifetime 'keeper'. Turned out to be the wrong scope on every count - optics nothing special, mount far too heavy for my back (and for the little 6" tube), and I realised pretty quickly that I didn't need go-to at all. 

About 30 years ago, I had an 8" Cosmotron which was a copy of a Celestron C8  manufactured by Phil Horrocks of Burnley. Came on a fork mount,with decent tripod and from the outside looked like a C8. That was where the  resemblance ceased. The corrector plate was window glass ! The complaints were numerous I believe so he must have sold a few. Celestron  did'nt like the copyright infringement either. The worst scope I ever looked through. Gave it away in the end. I don't suppose many on SGL have ever heard of Cosmotron. History now...............Dave

note He also did a 6" version called Haliscope there may be some of these still around

Interesting to hear people's experiences. I have to say that my opinion of my various scopes varies from sesson to session. I was pretty underwhelmed with the Tal100RS when I first got it, but on my next session I must have remembered it being much worse than it was, because I was surprised by the lovely stellar views with perfect diffration rings. When I put the Tal side by side with the C8, the Tal was blown away by the brightness and clarity of the C8, but then I tied to resolve a tight double and the C8 couldn't do it and the Tal could. I've had similar experiences with all my scopes, have been disappointed and delighted at different times depending on what I was doing at the time and my probably incorrect memory of how it previously performed. I haven't sold any of my scopes yet.....probably should rationalise at some point!

@John - just out of interest John, what was wrong with the Tal100RS you got rid of, how did it differ to the good one? 

First 'scope was an Astromaster (Newt) 130Eq, bought on a whim, with absolutely no knowledge of telescopes.  I found it utterly counterintuitive to use, and it contorted itself into the the most unmanageable positions, resulting in disappointment and months of disuse.  

Next, a 70/700 Meade Infinity (frac).  Again, still no knowledge of 'scopes, but I could at least use this one.  It was a bit "basic", but it got me fired up alright, so I owe it a lot.

So onwards and upwards - a Mak, a Cat, a bigger and better frac, and now a Dob.  Liked 'em all, except that first one!

Doug.

On 12/08/2018 at 16:26, John said:

One of the mods I had to do with my 12" Lightbridge was to uprate the primary collimation springs. The stock items were rather too weak.

The springs on the 10" Dark Star look like car valve springs, they probably aren't quite as strong but really hefty.

I've bought and sold many scopes but the only one that springs to mind that disappointed was a Celestron C6. 

I think it was the fourth telescope I owned and it followed a SW Heritage Flextube 130P, SW 200P Dob and a CPC1100. In hindsight going from a CPC1100 to C6 wasn't the best plan in the world but I really didn't get on with it at all.

As for binoculars, I have decided I would need a pair that would work for this emoticon... ?

On 13/08/2018 at 21:09, Stub Mandrel said:

I didn't believe the stories about scope-creep.

Now I have four newts, three fracs (one in progress), a mak, three guidescopes and an unknown number of finders...

Oh dear :-0

The last 30 years of my career have been dedicated to preventing scope-creep in projects, which is why I only have the accepted minimum of nine refractors, one Newt and a Dob :grin: 

Good Lord!  I've just realised I don't currently have a Cat!! :eek: 

In the old days, before I accumulated scope knowledge, I had a short tube Helios 150mm Newt. It was pants. Only later did I find out it was a 'Bird-Jones' and generally how poor they are.

The only thing I have left of it is the end cap ?

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

The last 30 years of my career have been dedicated to preventing scope-creep in projects, which is why I only have the accepted minimum of nine refractors, one Newt and a Dob :grin: 

Good Lord!  I've just realised I don't currently have a Cat!! :eek: 

Im gonna by a cat (of the furry kind).

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

In the old days, before I accumulated scope knowledge, I had a short tube Helios 150mm Newt. It was pants. Only later did I find out it was a 'Bird-Jones' and generally how poor they are.

The only thing I have left of it is the end cap ?

I bet thats even rubbish.

Archived