Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many friends do you have in real life who share your interest in astro/space?

Sedna

17 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

to kind of inflate yourself to look bigger than you actually are. 

My wife would say that I successfully do that, but largely through over-indulgence ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only person I know in real life with an interest in astronomy is my cousins husband. It would be nice if my wife shared it in somewhat, but she only sees the dollar cost. She was impressed when I showed her the solar eclipse last year with a solar filter I have, but that is the only time I have heard her say "wow" to anything astronomical.

I’ve met many very good friends through attending meetings of the British Astronomical Association. Many of them are keen astronomers ?

Being a member of an online community like SGL is great, but it’s no substitute for being part of a physical organisation like the BAA.

It may be a good thing that friends are not interested or enthusiastic about astronomy. If they were, they would probably want to bring their kids round to look at the moon through your scope a nightmare of  choclate sticky fingers on your eyepieces and expensive lenses. or they would fall over in the dark and break something. Go it alone is best. We all have this great forum if enthusiasm ebbs...Dave

40 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

If they were, they would probably want to bring their kids round to look at the moon through your scope a nightmare of  choclate sticky fingers on your eyepieces and expensive lenses. or they would fall over in the dark and break something.

I keep a couple of spare eyepieces for just this eventuality that I'm not so bothered about. There's nothing like inspiring the next generation about science in general and astronomy in particular.

Not many to be honest showed my missus Jupiter and Saturn a few years back along with the moon during an ad break in one of her god awful soaps and she was quite impressed. 

Tried her on a few interesting doubles but she wasn't having it. Definitely no chance she'll go out on colder nights , more chance of winning the lottery.

Had a few discussions over the years with my friend Gary mainly on articles in Astronomy Now like the Drake Equation.

Also know a guy who worked Lewisham market who saw a night launch of the space shuttle while on holiday in Florida.

He takes great pleasure in telling me what an amazing experience it was.

The git.

Plenty of friends and family that want to join the occasional night out and see some stuff or are interested in my images, but only a few that own their own scope. It takes dedication and a lot to do this hobby properly (it is at night, not plan-able due to weather and it can cost a lot of money) and those people are rare

On 03/07/2018 at 09:03, JeremyS said:

I’ve met many very good friends through attending meetings of the British Astronomical Association. Many of them are keen astronomers ?

Being a member of an online community like SGL is great, but it’s no substitute for being part of a physical organisation like the BAA.

I disagree I think it absolutely IS a substitute  for being a member of organisations like the BAA for many people.

I think it's also important when you make a statement like that you give some context - aren't you Vice President of the BAA? Therefore your view is going to be a bit different from your average SGL user ?

On 03/07/2018 at 14:47, DAVE AMENDALL said:

It may be a good thing that friends are not interested or enthusiastic about astronomy. If they were, they would probably want to bring their kids round to look at the moon through your scope a nightmare of  choclate sticky fingers on your eyepieces and expensive lenses. or they would fall over in the dark and break something. Go it alone is best. We all have this great forum if enthusiasm ebbs...Dave

I've enjoyed doing outreach (adults and children) so much that I've acquired an outreach set of eyepieces. Decent performance, not very high cost, but with good eye relief and nice comfortable eye lenses give 1st time observers as good an experience as possible :thumbright:

I've been priviledged to be able to see these wonderful sights and I'm happy to have the chance to share them now. John Dobson puts it well IMHO:

On 03/07/2018 at 09:03, JeremyS said:

Not physical? You've obviously not been to a star party!

I'm not so sure many of your BAA Peers would share your assumption Jeremy.
I lost a great friend two years ago, he was a very active member of the BAA's Aurora section, and Secretary of of
our local Astronomy Society. His Flux Gate Magnetometer, provided us with information 
of earths magnetic field changes, which heralded the onset of Aurora. 
He carried no air of superiority over the rest of us, he was just him, a real nice person, and a great loss to his family, and
the local community.

I haven't been to a star party but I have met several SGL members.  Two helped me finish off my observatory, attaching up to 5m long cladding.  :)

I’ve floated about a number of societies over the years. Keep meaning to go to more, but work and kids hinder things. Light pollution doesn’t help. Online is good, a wider range of knowledge, but actual meetings are always welcome, for that I have Walton and my IOW “Party Crew”.

PEterW

8 hours ago, Grant said:

I disagree I think it absolutely IS a substitute  for being a member of organisations like the BAA for many people.

I think it's also important when you make a statement like that you give some context - aren't you Vice President of the BAA? Therefore your view is going to be a bit different from your average SGL user ?

I would find it hard to get more out of any organisation than I get from SGL - help, support, sharing, advice, humour, and even a sense of rapport and friendship.  It has truly enriched my experience of stargazing!

Doug.

Archived