NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Cheshire

broadway

Hello, I have recently started to get interested in stargazing now that I am winding down to retirement.

I am currently trying to resist going down the telescope rabbit hole at the moment since I'm still learning to hop. I do have 10X binoculars and a spotting scope for now and have tried some short exposure wide field photography. 

Just hoping for some clear skies. There was one gap in the last week predicted by clearskies at 4 o'clock in the morning, luckily I woke up and managed to see Jupiter's bands and 4 of the moons in a row using the spotting scope. It as a lovely sight that I will remember for a long time.

6 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Broadway, welcome from me!  Yes, retirement is great, especially if you want to stay up late etc, with no worries about the next day!

Apart from a a wife who will complain about desturbing her sleep nights or why on earth you were you up a 4 o'clock :)

Welcome, I am returning here after a bit of a break. I think your strategy of binoculars and spotting scope is a good one. Learn the sky, read the posts on this site and then decide on equipment, the time spent will be well invested.

Hi, Briadway, and welcome to SGL.

+1 for binos to learn the sky - I used nothing but for my first 40 years of stargazing - great for learning the sky and you cannot beat them for "grab'n'go" and so easy to carry to a dark site. Check out the binocular board on this forum.

Archived