SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wet Wet Wet Wet Wet Wet..........

Tim

As I work on a plant nursery we record the amount of daily rainfall, it matters for our irrigation system.

Already, today the 2nd April 2018, we have already had THREE TIMES the total rainfall of the whole of April 2017!

This is not exactly great astronomy weather .........

I'm sure we are destined for monsoon like phenomena for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping I imagined reading that somewhere, but in view of the immense amount of flooding we've been through these last five years or so, it seems distinctly possible the high ground is where to be.

Clear Outside has predicted a grand total of 5 clear hours between now and sunday night next weekend for my area.

But even those measly 5 hours fall outside of astro dark and coincide with a 78% moon.

Gotta love this hobby :ohmy:

5 hours ago, Tim said:

As I work on a plant nursery we record the amount of daily rainfall, it matters for our irrigation system.

Already, today the 2nd April 2018, we have already had THREE TIMES the total rainfall of the whole of April 2017!

I'm sure it has to stop raining soon.  The clouds must be running out by now.  The field behind our house has a load of standing water on it.  And it's on a slope!

James

Remember those Daily Fail headlines of a few years ago about us all dying of thirst as the UK turned into a desert.

Don't worry 4 weeks without rain and we'll have a hosepipe ban :grin:

Dave

7 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I keep records too. April 2017 13.8mm, April 2018 27.0mm :smile:

Up to yesterday we had:

April 2017 6.5mm (Only rained once, early in the month)

April 2018  22mm 

As it goes, Coventry, and the central region on the whole is one of the drier parts of the country. I fear that there will be some serious flooding issues in other areas this year again.

I’ve been in Lanzarote for ten days and it’s been spectacular. Took my bins and been  spending some tine looking at Canis major southern parts thT are hard from UK. Been fabulous. Could really get used to this clear weather! 

It looks like it’s been dire back home this last week or so.

39 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I’ve been in Lanzarote for ten days and it’s been spectacular. Took my bins and been  spending some tine looking at Canis major southern parts thT are hard from UK. Been fabulous. Could really get used to this clear weather! 

It looks like it’s been dire back home this last week or so.

You do know we hate you.

LOL.

We are 1100ft up in the Pennines so we don't have normal floods. However we still get plenty of excess water. Yesterday, due to a combination of rapid snow melt and pouring rain, the site looked like a mixture of Niagra Falls and whitewater rapids, wish I'd had a camera with me. Attempts to divert the waterflow with bricks was fruitless, it just washed them away as if made of polystyrene. Today I've been barrowing back the displaced material that the water has gouged out of the tracks. :angry:

On 02/04/2018 at 17:55, Tim said:

Didn't get a drop of rain here in Wales........

.....not far off a foot of snow on Easter Bank Holiday Monday though!

26388231477_f05a29cc7f_b.jpg

10 days of Lanzarote, landed Thursday night.  No chance whatsoever to continue my bin stargazing, not that i expected to with following this thread.... :(   I really could get used to spending an hour or two per night really getting to know the sky,  whilst the AP rig is running and, as I get older, i increasingly understand why many have fled these shores due to the depressing climate that gets worse year after year.

It really amazes me how the late George Alcock, of nova and comet discovery fame, got to remember the star patterns of tens of thousands of stars down to magnitude 9 so well from the UK.  It's just impossible to build any momentum of furthering your practical knowledge in this pursuit from here :(

On 02/04/2018 at 22:13, Dave Lloyd said:

Someone somewhere has bought a really expensive telescope. 

Not really expensive but got my first decent one (skywatcher 200p) and a zwo cam early this year and not had one clear night since! It's enough to want to sell up again! Everytime I look at the forecast when I'm free it says cloud, it will be Summer soon and too light most of the time!

15 hours ago, spillage said:

I had a conversation with a fellow astrophotographer. They asked me one question..how much has each image cost you. My reply was that I would not want my other half to know that answer.

Now that is an interesting way of putting it. I wonder; from the NASA website Hubble has made more than  1 million observations since 1990. It cost approx 1.5 billion. Hubble produces cheaper images than I can :( 

Jim

8 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

It really amazes me how the late George Alcock, of nova and comet discovery fame, got to remember the star patterns of tens of thousands of stars down to magnitude 9 so well from the UK.  It's just impossible to build any momentum of furthering your practical knowledge in this pursuit from here :(

Two factors are possible- less light pollution and better transparency. I'm convinced that contrails are ruining our views of the stars almost as much as light pollution.

Remember how clear the skies were following that Icelandic volcano?

Archived