Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Georgia On My Mind!

Mountaineerfan

Hello!  My name is Mountaineerfan, and I am a new member from Milton, GA (north of Atlanta).  Recently bought an Orion SpaceProbe 130ST, and have been loving it!  I am an 8th grade science teacher, and love boring the socks off of my family and my students with everything SPACE!  I'm looking forward to learning a lot of things from you wonderful folks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Mountaineerfan, and welcome to SGL.

In the same way that you " love boring the socks off of my family and my students", we shall endeavour to do the same for you :icon_biggrin:. Joking apart, you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum to help you with your voyage of discovery.

Welcome to SGL Moutaineerfan. I'm guessing that Milton GA was close enough for you to have driven north for last year's total solar eclipse - now that was something to bore everyone with for years to come...:headbang:. My wife and I flew into ATL a few days early to be met by family who drove us to their home in the Greenville SC area, pretty much bang on the midpoint - an awesome experience...!! Geof

3 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Welcome to SGL Moutaineerfan. I'm guessing that Milton GA was close enough for you to have driven north for last year's total solar eclipse - now that was something to bore everyone with for years to come...:headbang:. My wife and I flew into ATL a few days early to be met by family who drove us to their home in the Greenville SC area, pretty much bang on the midpoint - an awesome experience...!! Geof

Yes it was!  Unfortunately, being a teacher I was unable to get the day off for it.  This was just as well, because our school had purchased glasses for the entire school, and we all went out to the sports field during the eclipse to watch (it was pretty close to totality, close enough for my students to be impressed!).  I was able to take a SunSpotter device out to set up, which gave some great views for the kids!  I was even interviewed by an Atlanta news station about how to build a box viewer!

Eclipse2.png

Eclipse1.png

31 minutes ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Unfortunately, being a teacher I was unable to get the day off for it.  This was just as well, because our school had purchased glasses for the entire school, and we all went out to the sports field during the eclipse to watch (it was pretty close to totality, close enough for my students to be impressed!).  I was able to take a SunSpotter device out to set up, which gave some great views for the kids!  I was even interviewed by an Atlanta news station about how to build a box viewer!

Well done you. A pity about the school commitments, I did wonder about that, but great that you used the opportunity to enthuse (not bore :wink2:) your students with this real science experience. Also great that Atlanta news featured you, well done. Perhaps you can head north, or west for the next USA total eclipse in April 2024; I have a cousin in Nashville, so the date is already provisionally booked with her :smile:. The next total solar exclipse visible from the UK is Sept 2090, so I'm not going to be around for that one.....!!

21 hours ago, Mountaineerfan said:

Hello!  My name is Mountaineerfan, and I am a new member from Milton, GA (north of Atlanta).  Recently bought an Orion SpaceProbe 130ST, and have been loving it!  I am an 8th grade science teacher, and love boring the socks off of my family and my students with everything SPACE!  I'm looking forward to learning a lot of things from you wonderful folks!

Hi Mountaineer

Give you something else to share with your grade 8 students

I belong to an astronomy club, Goldcoast, Queensland Australia, and with our club go into schools and do astronomy presentations, as well as space badge scout/guide movement

Now fun bit

Later this year NASA is launching  a new probe to our sun

NASA have invited communities worldwide to submit their names, to be included on a microchip on the probe, and print a  boarding ticket

Share around amongst your students and friends within your local community

Applications close on the 27th April

http://parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu/The-Mission/Name-to-Sun/

John

Space Badge.docx

Archived