Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

American enthusiasm over the moon!

VNA

We get that a lot at our astronomy club outings. It's amazing to me how many people have never looked through a telescope to view the craters on the moon, seen the planets and their moons and rings, or even some of the brighter DSO's. I have even had a few people who were actually brought to tears over some of the sights I showed them. I don't know if it was because they were grappling with the thought of how infintesimally small we all are in the whole grand scheme of things or just the shear beauty of what is really out there. And as much as I enjoy looking at everything that's out there, I feel the need and desire to share it with others. Their reactions are honestly the best part for me and the biggest reason I do it.

On ‎16‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 14:29, Buzzard75 said:

We get that a lot at our astronomy club outings. It's amazing to me how many people have never looked through a telescope to view the craters on the moon, seen the planets and their moons and rings, or even some of the brighter DSO's. I have even had a few people who were actually brought to tears over some of the sights I showed them. I don't know if it was because they were grappling with the thought of how infintesimally small we all are in the whole grand scheme of things or just the shear beauty of what is really out there. And as much as I enjoy looking at everything that's out there, I feel the need and desire to share it with others. Their reactions are honestly the best part for me and the biggest reason I do it.

Yes that is very rewarding when people see whats up there for the first time.

I brought my telescope with me on a holiday in Germany, great dark skies there.

Almost every passenger kind of stopped and wondring where I was looking at, but they never asked.

So I invited them to take a look at saturn, all those reactions are similar as in the video.

Some of them could not believe it was real! Can you really see the rings WOW!!!!!

A small boy on a little bike (i guess 8 years old) came back every night to take another look, I called him starman.

His mother prommised to buy him a telescope too back at home, hope she did.

Thanks for posting,has made my day.
Watching the reactions is wonderful, the Americans are so much more expressive than us Brits.

Brought back my own reaction 45+ years ago with my dear old Dad and his binocular, first time I looked up, have never stopped since, thanks Dad.
The film made me well up, fond memories.

I think some people just need their brains tickled a bit, outreach efforts like this do the trick many times, its impossible to walk away from your first experience and not wonder afterwards, you'd have to be made of wood!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived