SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

just a general rant

does anybody know the pecentage of clear nights we get in the uk because its getting me down lol... even some nights its nice so in i go get my gear setup and boom!! clouds arrive its frustrating....need to up sticks and relocate....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My imaging logs show an average of 2 - 4 nights per month for the past year. So about 10 % seems a good estimate. The weather up here in Sweden is about the same as in the UK, just later. And somewhat colder.

You're right, Wrral Man, it is grim!

We can only grab whatever opportunities present themselves - although I went out last night at 10pm 'cos I saw stars, then experienced a first: not only did clouds roll in, but they also deposited rain on me.

So in the meantime, I'm with Doc - chill with some plonk and TV.  (A House Through Time which is running right now is just about the most interesting and moving and well-presented programme I've seen in ages.  And good for being about Liverpool - a city I've had close links with all my life.)

Doug.

I wanted to do astronomy more seriously which meant leaving the UK. If you want perfection you need to go to the Atacama but other entertainment possibilities are few! :icon_mrgreen:  I settle for a normal life and 250 (or a little more) clear nights per year.

Olly

It can mean that when it is going to be good, it becomes something to potentially look forward to and make the most of. Typically disparity in weather conditions throughout UK Regions, can however determine that you are at least able to enjoy reading of other peoples adventures (while waiting your turn) and / or of those determined and enthused enough to prepare for an early morning session opportunity. Retaining other interests and hanging out on here fills up much of the remainder of any free time. Looking through my journal, I had a succession of Lunar sessions late December, nothing since the start of this year, maybe Saturday. For other times, a pair of binoculars or the rapidity of a grab and go set up can be quite rewarding.

Yeah . it's tough....I think I've got the jinx thing going on....bought my first scope during Christmas period....have had it out once and it's done nothing but rain,sleet,snow and gales here  in sw Scotland since ....guess I can expect this until at least March...doh!

I do shift work at LHR.

When on early shift I go to work at silly o'clock. When on late shift I come home at silly o'clock to clear skies.

On my rest days I have cloudy skies.

I would not mind if it was the other way around...

I had my 'scopes out about 12 times in 2017... one of them was to see if they were still in their flight cases, clean, etc., another because I had the backplate of my ETX105 're-modded' and to see if it worked.

I dont really count all that much, I just grab whatever comes my way and plan my targets or filter to use according to the Moon phase. Some constellations appear to stick around for ages (ie: Cygnus), so there is plenty of time to get what you need.... dont worry, the stars will still be there once the cloud clears ;)

I moved to the Lake District around 6 yrs ago due to work. I thought,  'Great, dark skies,  no light pollution & lots of crystal clear nights'. Oh, how wrong I was. Yes i have no light pollution (I live in the middle of nowhere) Dark skies (see previous comment) & crystal clear skies. Yes there's all of these things BUT the one thing I forgot is why the Lake District is called the Lake District.........Loads of large bodies of water!!! Where does this water come from?? Clouds, endless blumming clouds.

When its dark here it's REALLY dark it's just the constant cloudy nights that drive me mad. I've no percentage but all I can do is look forward to the next clear night (whenever that may be ) & on those very rare clear nights, I can always guarantee one thing..............A FULL MOON Arrggghhhhh!!!!!!........ :icon_biggrin:

I need to keep a record of the percentage of clear nights on Sunday into Monday morning. It definitely feels high to me!

Although if I'm off work on a Monday that 99.9% guarantees cloud on a Sunday night.

Andy.

haha makes feel better lol also what gets me is i get up in the morning around 530am and its bloody clear as a whistle and i think great missed out so sometimes i set my alarm to go off earlier to grab a hour or two before work and guess what its been cloudy i use clear sky and bbc weather apps but i find there not much use at times

I use the clear outside app on Android.  Is pretty good but gets it wrong from time to time.  

Clear nights are few and far between in the Thames Valley and I find the most frustrating thing can be the clear night investment in getting your setup right. 

I find that when upgrading, not only does it jinx the sky, but when the clear nights do roll around it sometimes is a night or two before I'm fully set up how I want to be... That's what has happened this year.   

It feels like we're galloping full speed ahead through the seasons, with the dark hours narrowing, and, the midweek opportunities to image whilst retaining a job, closing!

Started using a CCD early last year but did'nt get to use it until May.

After that I did a baker's dozen of targets plus I missed a few nights, not feeling upto it
or work/ other things got in the way.
A few of the targets were around half to full moon so not complaining.

Pretty pleased with 2017, much better than previous years with a DSLR, when I nearly gave up.

2 hours ago, Wirral man said:

haha makes feel better lol also what gets me is i get up in the morning around 530am and its bloody clear as a whistle and i think great missed out so sometimes i set my alarm to go off earlier to grab a hour or two before work and guess what its been cloudy i use clear sky and bbc weather apps but i find there not much use at times

This is making me feel better aswell.

I work a 2 week rotating shift pattern, week 1 I do 3 early starts (at work for around 5:30-5:45am) & week 2 I do 2 early starts. More often than not the sky is crystal clear & due to zero light pollution Im able to see M31 with the naked eye.........Very depressing. 

Went out last night for the second time since New Year, did a bit of early lunar in the front, moved to the back for some deep sky and came in for dinner. Managed a couple of hours but most of the time I was dodging the clouds, gave up in the end about 9.30. Suppose it will be another 3/4 weeks before another opportunity. 

19 hours ago, JOC said:

If you've just bought a new telescope you have probably jinxed yourself and the surrounding area for at least 10 weeks.

Yep, probably the truest sentence I've heard since Christmas! 
Wife bought me a scope as a present. Had about 5/6 nights where I managed to snatch an hour or two. 
Whilst in Exeter yesterday I popped into FLO to buy a solar filter. I thought if I can't use my scope at night just yet, may as well take a look at the sun. However, as sods law dictates, today is cloudy, raining and the sun is playing hide and seek! :hmh: 

Anyone around my location, my apologies, I am the culprit. :hiding:

Archived