Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

One of the guys said the fuel tanks were single skin which is why they got ice on the outside.

When the top half of the rocket crumpled on impact it did give the impression of being a single skin too.

James

11 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Presumably it will have boosters strapped on the side to escape Earth gravity.

The rocket tested yesterday is actually intended to be a second stage.  There will be a much bigger first stage to get it off the ground, I believe.

James

43 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The rocket tested yesterday is actually intended to be a second stage.  There will be a much bigger first stage to get it off the ground, I believe.

James

I concur James, this will be mounted on top of the Super Heavy which will have 28 of these Raptor Engines. The Starship section is to be fitted with another 3 engines, these will be vacuum raptors for orbital flight. SN9 is Completed and when the data from SN8 is obtained,  he  will make the necessary mods to prevent the crash happening. Elon said they Lost pressure in the LOX header tank and if you look, you can actually see the liquid methane burning green prior to the crash land. I personally think this was an 85% success when you think what SN8 Achieved. First time 3 raptors used together, the engine command, the belly flop and skydive, and the operation of the flaps and Engine reignite to get it vertical.  It even landed on the Pad ! (although crashed). I'm fairly confident that SN9 will get it right.  Speculation is that SN9 will Launch in January

John

10 minutes ago, johngm said:

I concur James, this will be mounted on top of the Super Heavy which will have 28 of these Raptor Engines. The Starship section is to be fitted with another 3 engines, these will be vacuum raptors for orbital flight. SN9 is Completed and when the data from SN8 is obtained,  he  will make the necessary mods to prevent the crash happening. Elon said they Lost pressure in the LOX header tank and if you look, you can actually see the liquid methane burning green prior to the crash land. I personally think this was an 85% success when you think what SN8 Achieved. First time 3 raptors used together, the engine command, the belly flop and skydive, and the operation of the flaps and Engine reignite to get it vertical.  It even landed on the Pad ! (although crashed). I'm fairly confident that SN9 will get it right.  Speculation is that SN9 will Launch in January

John

I'd say 85% is a little low, more like 98% for me! they proved there were no fundamental design or construction flaws; all those welds that could have failed, the glide, the engine restarts, and the belly flop - all went perfectly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I'd say 85% is a little low, more like 98% for me! they proved there were no fundamental design or construction flaws; all those welds that could have failed, the glide, the engine restarts, and the belly flop - all went perfectly.

And SN9 is even better. Better Stainless steal, and the welded seams on that look even better. I think with SN9, he will land it successfully. 

14 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I would agree with the 98% the failure at landing will also provide very useful data anyway, perhaps more so than had the mission been a 100% run.

Alan

5 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I thought the first stage would be mounted horizontal on a kind of sled on tracks, rather like a roller coaster :)

Alan

That would explain the Fireball XL5 inspired design. Just need the space scooters now :)

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FF8C8pyuOO5U%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=1607641103T5d771a8568ddc1794c2cc7871f9416bb6ae832d67c0f8909a713e1d9f23c6ba6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting discussion at the moment on the NSF channel about the fact that SpaceX want to launch from the same site tomorrow, but if NROL-44 doesn't fly tonight they may try to bump SpaceX.  Not everyone is apparently happy about this situation :)

James

I still find it incredible that you can watch this stuff happening live from the other side of the Atlantic.

We visited KSC in late February this year. Had no idea then of what 2020 held in store ........ :rolleyes2:

P1090478.JPG.bc635155901d752020e9a91c8c81886c.JPG

1 minute ago, John said:

I still find it incredible that you can watch this stuff happening live from the other side of the Atlantic.

Absolutely.  Also amazing about the NSF streams over the last couple of days was that they have remote controlled cameras filming the launch that are basically consumer camera bodies with some modifications, run by people thousands of miles away, and the whole stream is put together by someone else thousands of miles away.  And it all works :)

James

• Like 2