Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Live rocket launch


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made a rocket like SN8 when I was about ten years old.  I can understand why SpaceX may be having a few problems today.  I had terrible trouble getting the tin foil to stick to the cardboard tube.

Not sure if anyone else interested in this sort of thing, but in about 30 mins there's a live launch here: http://www.ulalaunch.com/webcast.aspx  

As seen here in this uninterrupted footage from somebody on the ground with an LX200 and some nice tracking software. It's an incredible feat.  The little detail (from the press conference) that

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

One of the guys said the fuel tanks were single skin which is why they got ice on the outside.

When the top half of the rocket crumpled on impact it did give the impression of being a single skin too.

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Presumably it will have boosters strapped on the side to escape Earth gravity.

The rocket tested yesterday is actually intended to be a second stage.  There will be a much bigger first stage to get it off the ground, I believe.

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The rocket tested yesterday is actually intended to be a second stage.  There will be a much bigger first stage to get it off the ground, I believe.

James

I concur James, this will be mounted on top of the Super Heavy which will have 28 of these Raptor Engines. The Starship section is to be fitted with another 3 engines, these will be vacuum raptors for orbital flight. SN9 is Completed and when the data from SN8 is obtained,  he  will make the necessary mods to prevent the crash happening. Elon said they Lost pressure in the LOX header tank and if you look, you can actually see the liquid methane burning green prior to the crash land. I personally think this was an 85% success when you think what SN8 Achieved. First time 3 raptors used together, the engine command, the belly flop and skydive, and the operation of the flaps and Engine reignite to get it vertical.  It even landed on the Pad ! (although crashed). I'm fairly confident that SN9 will get it right.  Speculation is that SN9 will Launch in January

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, johngm said:

I concur James, this will be mounted on top of the Super Heavy which will have 28 of these Raptor Engines. The Starship section is to be fitted with another 3 engines, these will be vacuum raptors for orbital flight. SN9 is Completed and when the data from SN8 is obtained,  he  will make the necessary mods to prevent the crash happening. Elon said they Lost pressure in the LOX header tank and if you look, you can actually see the liquid methane burning green prior to the crash land. I personally think this was an 85% success when you think what SN8 Achieved. First time 3 raptors used together, the engine command, the belly flop and skydive, and the operation of the flaps and Engine reignite to get it vertical.  It even landed on the Pad ! (although crashed). I'm fairly confident that SN9 will get it right.  Speculation is that SN9 will Launch in January

John

I'd say 85% is a little low, more like 98% for me! they proved there were no fundamental design or construction flaws; all those welds that could have failed, the glide, the engine restarts, and the belly flop - all went perfectly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I'd say 85% is a little low, more like 98% for me! they proved there were no fundamental design or construction flaws; all those welds that could have failed, the glide, the engine restarts, and the belly flop - all went perfectly.

And SN9 is even better. Better Stainless steal, and the welded seams on that look even better. I think with SN9, he will land it successfully. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I'd say 85% is a little low, more like 98% for me! they proved there were no fundamental design or construction flaws; all those welds that could have failed, the glide, the engine restarts, and the belly flop - all went perfectly.

I would agree with the 98% the failure at landing will also provide very useful data anyway, perhaps more so than had the mission been a 100% run.

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I thought the first stage would be mounted horizontal on a kind of sled on tracks, rather like a roller coaster :)

Alan

That would explain the Fireball XL5 inspired design. Just need the space scooters now :)

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FF8C8pyuOO5U%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=1607641103T5d771a8568ddc1794c2cc7871f9416bb6ae832d67c0f8909a713e1d9f23c6ba6

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last few nights have been perfect. This evening at 8:09ET they have a ULA heavy putting a spy satellite up.

Now we have clouds rolling in! I wanted to watch that heavy go off.

This is the one that's been scrubbed over and over and over again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting discussion at the moment on the NSF channel about the fact that SpaceX want to launch from the same site tomorrow, but if NROL-44 doesn't fly tonight they may try to bump SpaceX.  Not everyone is apparently happy about this situation :)

James

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still find it incredible that you can watch this stuff happening live from the other side of the Atlantic.

We visited KSC in late February this year. Had no idea then of what 2020 held in store ........ :rolleyes2:

P1090478.JPG.bc635155901d752020e9a91c8c81886c.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John said:

I still find it incredible that you can watch this stuff happening live from the other side of the Atlantic.

Absolutely.  Also amazing about the NSF streams over the last couple of days was that they have remote controlled cameras filming the launch that are basically consumer camera bodies with some modifications, run by people thousands of miles away, and the whole stream is put together by someone else thousands of miles away.  And it all works :)

James

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.