Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

Well caught.

It got me thinking about how they actually recover the fairings.  I'd not considered it before.  Apparently they have some attitude jets help guide them, and then a parachute.  As the fairing gets close to the surface of the sea, a boat with a huge net on top tries to get underneath to catch it.  There's a brief video here:

Apparently Elon Musk claims it saves them $6m per launch if they use recovered fairings.

James

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Apparently Elon Musk claims it saves them $6m per launch if they use recovered fairings.

Worth the effort then. Although I must admit to being disappointed. How amazing would it be if the fairings had descent boosters, gridfins and landing legs like the first stage? :) That would no doubt blow the £6m saving tho..

Edited by johnfosteruk

SN9 is currently sat on the launchpad but on hold as the tfr (temporary flight restriction) in the area has been lifted meaning no rocket launch for now.

They’re saying the spacex team have not yet removed local road closures etc so not actually sure whether any testing going ahead today.

Still, lots of time left in the launch window. The last one sn8 went in the final half an hour if I remember.

Apparently the FAA has jurisdiction over all US companies no matter where they launch from in the World and even in space so presumably they'll need FAA permission to launch from the Moon and Mars 😄

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

3 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Certainly been scrubbed for today - everything ok except full FAA approval.

Wonder if they need FAA approval to land, if they're planning point to point travel to Australia they can't circle round waiting to land 😄

Dave

They are lucky, that they just watch what they love, chat about it all day, sell tshirts and just enjoy it. And presumably earn a decent living from it.

And get to play with some amazing remote cameras!