Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Art or Magic Bullet - New book by Steve Richards

FLO

5 minutes ago, Charic said:

however, as  an extension to the first book, and the fact that is is solely based on processing, maybe I can improve some of the images already in my collection from my normal digital photography, as well as gaining more knowledge when the time comes to processing my astrophotography projects. 

That's always a possibility.

5 minutes ago, Charic said:

but the processes that involve stacking images sometimes bother me, as its now no longer an original, but  an edited image, akin to airbrushing spots and pimples  scars of someones face, its maybe more pleasing but not so natural.

Difficult one this but unlike 'airbrushing' which removes something that was originally there, stacking doesn't add anything that isn't already present in the data and it only removes transient noise rather than, say, an ugly star or a piece of nebulosity that isn't very attractive. The image processing that I explore here is aimed purely at extracting what is already genuinely present in the data but making it perhaps a bit more prominent where appropriate.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Steve just wondering if you've included your lovely " white " Pelican from a while back and how you processed it ?

That image does make a couple of appearances in the book to show a technique or two but not the whole workflow I'm afraid.

Hi Steve, just ordered Dark Art from FLO. Really looking forward to reading and working with it. After years of OSC imaging I have just started LRGBHa, this book should be very useful. Perfect timing.

Cheers

Justyn

I got MEPC a while back and I'm very interested in this book. Does it cover the creation of colour images from narrowband and LRGB data?

Also I have Photoshop CC. Will the tutorials be applicable for this version?

Andy.

14 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I got MEPC a while back and I'm very interested in this book. Does it cover the creation of colour images from narrowband and LRGB data?

Also I have Photoshop CC. Will the tutorials be applicable for this version?

@Andyb90

1. Yes it does cover the creation of colour images from narrowband and LRGB data.

2. Yes the tutorials will be applicable to this version. However, any new features that have been included in CC that do not appear in CS3 have not been covered in the book.

Have just ordered one for Steve as a belated birthday/retirement gift. Hopefully it will be waiting for us when we get back from our current trip to E-EyE and Olly’s as we will certainly have lots of new data to play with and more free time to mess things up!

Nice one Steve(s), MEPC saved me a whole lot of time, money and most importantly, frustration.

However, to use Olly’s  very apt description, I am definitely still at the “thrashing about” stage when it comes to data processing. For example, after  I switched to LRGB imaging in April, I have only recently managed to get a colour image out of the data.

I wish you every success with the  book, I already have a monitor, powered focusser, H alpha filter, cloud camera and dew heater lined up for my 60th birthday in December, I’m sure there will be room for just one more gift.... ☺️

23 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

Have just ordered one for Steve as a belated birthday/retirement gift.

Thank you - I hope he lets you have a peek at it too!

15 hours ago, AlistairW said:

Just saw this on FLO - have since ordered - really looking forward to this :-)

I hope you enjoy reading and using it Alistair.

15 hours ago, tomato said:

I’m sure there will be room for just one more gift.... ☺️

It almost fits into a stocking so you might just get away with it .....

Ordered it, just waiting for it to be delivered, an early Crimbo pressy from my kids! from my account apparently.

looking forward to what no doubt will be an excellent informative piece of work.

cheers

Tim

Hi all, it was only the other day I was trying to follow every photon counts to improve my processing, wishing it had a kittke more in there. Having just collected my hard earned data of the Andromeda galaxy, my processing skills are very amateur. Then all of a sudden, I stumbled upon your new book. 

I have made a massive mistake on my part, I kindly asked a family member to order it for me as a christmas pressie, instead of buying it myself and cracking on. Now I'm going to have to wait to see what data I have?

Well done Steve, if it's anywhere near as helpful as Every photon counts", I'm sure its going to be a huge success??

Cheers

Ryan

On 11/22/2017 at 19:07, happy-kat said:

I've quietened my determination and have requested the book for my Christmas present.

You'll have to behave for a few weeks then I guess?

On 11/22/2017 at 21:50, Ryan_86 said:

Good stuff! I shall look forward to developing my skills & knowledge.

I hope you enjoy doing so!

• 2 weeks later...

FLO, My book arrived today, safe and sound, many thanks.

Steve Richards, Had a quick flick through, looks  very impressive, though will leave for Christmas for a better read. I really like the flexible format..........I can visualise how the next book(s) will/should look! :icon_biggrin:

Archived