Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Danger - I tried goto and I liked it!

Paz

I went on my second ever observing meet recently. Ive been observing for 4 years but with clouds, and everything else in life, getting to prearranged sessions almost never happens for me.

Anyway at this meet all the other scopes I saw had computers and  goto.

I didnt think much of it but when i got talking to a chap with goto , anytime a target came up in conversation he would have the scope on it in seconds! we were tearing around the sky looking at all sorts. My scope sat there dewing up and getting lonely.

Ive never seen so many things in one go, and by the end of the evening I will privately admit I was impressed - but dont tell anyone  I said this!

I do prefer finding things myself and wont change anything at the moment but when one person mentioned they had been finding things manually for 20 years and were now enjoying a different approach I thought that is a comment I will keep in mind for the future.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been a manual finder and nudger for years too and resisted the dark arts of go-to.

Bought an AVX mount a while back and found it amazing, find things fast and tracking, wow.

The down side - always a downside - it made the sessions too easy and far to much to see far too easily.

Am I a Luddite?   Yes, most probably to be honest.

Will I go back to find and nudge, hmmm, not sure about this, but probably do both in reality.

ohh and its too late now, we all know you really want a go-to dob really!

Did you witness the setup and everything that goes with it to make GoTo actually work properly? You could have been observing before them!
However, once setup, I imagine GoTo is a good idea, especially whilst demonstrating to/with others (like you experienced ) but it doesn't really allow you to see more as in detail, or much more than your own scope, it just points the scope in the right direction. If thats saving time and  allowing one to see more then so be it, but I've sometimes read stories that make the GoTo experience actually seem as if a GoTo really does 'see' more!
A little practice and a better understanding of the skies above, I think the manual user would be quicker onto the next target with a manual scope, and there's definitely less to go wrong or fail during the session!

Having said that, if/when I venture down the ED80-ED100  astro-photography route, I suppose it would be essential for GoTo and tracking, so until then, I'll just keep assuming.

At various stargazing events organised by our astronomy department, I find I have picked up half a dozen or more objects before the goto-crowd have their scopes in working order. In a permanent setting, I might want goto, but given the need to often rush out the scope to catch a clear patch, I couldn't stand losing a lot of timing getting the alignment right. What really helped me a lot in finding targets quickly was the addition of a large DIY RACI finder (14x70). That makes star-hopping so much easier. Still, each should use whatever tool they prefer

I am new to astronomy, and I have to say that I have really enjoyed having the GoTo ability.  I absolutely understand how much more you learn about the skies and how rewarding it is when you are star hopping and finding objects manually.  However, as somebody new I have a burning desire to set eyes on a lot of the objects I read everyone else talking about, and I do enjoy the ease of finding a lot of objects and getting a good idea of what all of the different objects in the sky look like.  I will be the first to admit that I need to start slowing down and really observing the individual objects in more detail, and I fully intend to.  At some point I will begin refining my manual sky searching skills and will really sit and observe objects for longer, but right now I am enjoying seeing as much as possible!

Also if time is limited and skies polluted GOTO will save a lot of time in between targets than manual. This was the issue for me when using my smaller scopes manually, sometimes I didn't know if I had genuinely missed the target or whether LP / seeing was the issue. I solved this on my small and mid scopes with a push to setup, AYO and Nexus. A sort of middle ground I guess but I definitely get to see more objects.

The larger EVO and SSA is up and ready to go in a few minutes with just the time and date to input. No right or wrongs and it is nice to manually learn the sky as well. Whatever works!

42 minutes ago, Charic said:

Did you witness the setup and everything that goes with it to make GoTo actually work properly? You could have been observing before them!
However, once setup, I imagine GoTo is a good idea, especially whilst demonstrating to/with others (like you experienced ) but it doesn't really allow you to see more as in detail, or much more than your own scope, it just points the scope in the right direction. If thats saving time and  allowing one to see more then so be it, but I've sometimes read stories that make the GoTo experience actually seem as if a GoTo really does 'see' more!
A little practice and a better understanding of the skies above, I think the manual user would be quicker onto the next target with a manual scope, and there's definitely less to go wrong or fail during the session!

Having said that, if/when I venture down the ED80-ED100  astro-photography route, I suppose it would be essential for GoTo and tracking, so until then, I'll just keep assuming.

Yes, agree Charic, set up is longer and faff and involves some more kit.
However I have found in my suburban skies go-to is a lot simpler finding some targets than difficult start hopping in a LP sky.

16 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

At various stargazing events organised by our astronomy department, I find I have picked up half a dozen or more objects before the goto-crowd have their scopes in working order. In a permanent setting, I might want goto, but given the need to often rush out the scope to catch a clear patch, I couldn't stand losing a lot of timing getting the alignment right. What really helped me a lot in finding targets quickly was the addition of a large DIY RACI finder (14x70). That makes star-hopping so much easier. Still, each should use whatever tool they prefer

And agree here Michael, its not grab and go with an AVX!
When I grab and go my AZ4 comes into play for ease of use, that in itself says a lot to me!

I am persevering with my Goto - those here for at least the last year know that's its been a rocky journey, but when it works its fabulous, and the more often you set it up and use it the easier it gets - I have also found out what works for me in terms of how to calibrate it.  The only drawback is that you still need a basic knowledge of the brightest stars up there for to succeed with the calibration.  The best bit is no nudging and being able to go and get people to 'come and see' without fear it won't have gone off target by the time I get back to it - when showing my parents that's quite important.  Even with a basic Dob goto you can take some nice basic slightly longer exposure photos of what you see too.  The best thing with the Dob goto is it's designed to be pushed too - so it you fancy a quick set-up look then you can easily push it to a target and star-hop too and then let the tracking kick in for 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, Charic said:

but it doesn't really allow you to see more as in detail, or much more than your own scope, it just points the scope in the right direction.

The additional benefit is the tracking though Charic. I know you don't need goto for that, but having used manual alt az mounts for much of my observing life, I have switched to enjoying a tracked mount for my high power solar and planetary observing where the lack of nudging actually does allow you to concen more on the target and pull out more detail.

Goto is great when under light polluted skies where finding stars to hop between can be a challenge; if you can't see them with the naked eye then it is trickier to point the scope at them.

Under a dark sky I still prefer star hopping with a manual mount though, much quicker and easier a lot of the time.

I've had my GOTO Dob. since the start of the year and it's transformed my viewing pleasure. I had the advantage of using a manual scope before and so have a basic knowledge of the sky. 

I read plenty of threads where newcomers have difficulty getting their GOTO working properly but I took to it immediately. I was sceptical before trying but it really only takes a few minutes to be up and running.

As I've said before, "do what gives you pleasure".

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

just add nexus pushto, to your dob like i do, your's is all ready to go as i had it fitted :headbang:

Another vote for Nexus push-to from me! The system brings the dobsonian to life :) when partnered with Sky Safari 5 over wifi.

The step back in time from my old CPC1100 with Starsense to my 20" manual dob could have been a journey back to the dark ages but luckily Nexus has made it a breeze!

I did miss tracking initially but with 100 degree eyepieces nudging is acceptable (except my hands get cold due to holding the aluminum truss poles - wasn't a problem when I had goto :) )

I think newbies should always push towards goto, being able to find object(s) one after another really "wets the appetite" and "hunger for more". Stabbing around in the dark trying to find one object for hours feels like a "hobby killer" to me :(

So go on, join the 21st century! its not all bad here in the future :)

Alan

I do use a computer to find stuff to look at. It's the hand-held one I also use to make calls. It has an optical connection to my brain, which in turn drives my arms to push the scope around on its mount. I'm sure someone else has a patent for this setup, so I won't bother with the marketing. :grin:

I can see the appeal when it comes to "finding" targets, and if you can maintain your footing at your particular altitude on the slippery slope down towards ho-hum-channel-switching-astronomy, then it's an enabler and enablers are good. And of course, enjoyment is key, so if it gives you more enjoyment, rock on.

I can certainly see the appeal when it comes to tracking at high magnification; helps to get the most out of your scope. But I guess I just enjoy tracking manually. Helps to keep the old brain engaged, for as long as I get to use it.

:happy11:

Welcome to GoTo Appreciation!  I get mine up and running quickly, especially since acquiring a GPS Unit (no need to enter time, location).  Choosing a couple of stars and aligning is easy, although planets also work well.  Sometimes I just use one star, and even that works well, especially in the region near that star.  

In any event, once it's set up, you get automatic tracking - very useful at high mag.

And yet I still like star-hopping with the widefield frac.  

Basically, I just like getting out there with any telescope!

Doug.

27 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Welcome to GoTo Appreciation!  I get mine up and running quickly, especially since acquiring a GPS Unit (no need to enter time, location).  Choosing a couple of stars and aligning is easy, although planets also work well.  Sometimes I just use one star, and even that works well, especially in the region near that star.  

In any event, once it's set up, you get automatic tracking - very useful at high mag.

And yet I still like star-hopping with the widefield frac.  

Basically, I just like getting out there with any telescope!

Doug.

You get it easy with an Alt AZ Doug ;-)

Poor Equatorial me has to Polar align as well!

2 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Now that's a path I'm not going down Alan!

Doug.

That's a path I regret as well Doug,
what I really wanted was a really nice alt az go-to, with with freedom find type ability.
Sadly they were far too expensive in a size able to carry the many scopes that I hanker after. 

+1 for push-to! Yes I derived great satisfaction finding things for myself, but push-to is very convenient indeed I have to admit! Nexus looks coo; I use Argo Navis which is also great.  Alignment is a cinch, and remarkably accurate and reliable.

Would I like to be able to track at the push of a button? Yes, sometimes - it would be nice for sharing the views.  For me though, I'm happy manually tracking: I even have a platform but rarely ever bother with it.

Push-to working brilliantly, best of both worlds apart from the tracking obviously. You can slew to targets you know and use the guidance when you need some help.

Best experience for me was with my 16" Sumerian at the SGL10 star party. Trawling along Markarian's chain with the push to identifying galaxies as I went was fab. Best part though was four clear nights in a row at a star party, who'd a thunk it?!

It is good to have so many different approaches to this hobby, I'm going to try and get to some more meets and get some more insights.

At this meeting unfortunately I didn't set up faster than my goto comrades because I found out in the dark that I had attached my finder shoe to the maksutov  the wrong way round and had to correct it. This involved dropping things in the grass and being extra careful not to cross any threads with cold hands!

I'm in a similar position to a lot of newbies I use my go-to to great effect and it has helped me get familiar with many objects in the sky and I will continue to use it.

however I do like to just walk into the garden and manually identify some stars, I also used my binoculars to have a looking around and was happy been able to find andromeda by following the stars starting with Cassiopeia, I will be doing a little more manual searching for objects with my telescope and binoculars as it is a great way to get to know the night skies 

44 minutes ago, Ger said:

I do like to just walk into the garden and manually identify some stars

You must have regularly clearer skies in Dublin than we do here!  I'd love to be in a situation currently of just seeing some stars!

This Nexus Pushto system you are all raving about - is it just a Goto under a different name or does it work differently?

7 minutes ago, JOC said:

You must have regularly clearer skies in Dublin than we do here!  I'd love to be in a situation currently of just seeing some stars!

This Nexus Pushto system you are all raving about - is it just a Goto under a different name or does it work differently?

hi julia, its not goto put you can add drives to it. you can use a app on your smart phone called skysafari. you add positioning encoders to your telescope and align it on 2 stars. you then have a layout of the night sky on your smart phone and it tells you where your telescope is pointing, you then move your telescope on your screen to the next object, no noise and no nonsense

Archived