Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephant's Trunk Nebula bicolour two ways

MartinB

I started this in Nov 2015 shortly after getting my Mesu mount.  Weather and other priorities  stopped play for several months and the project lay on my hard drive gathering dust.  I only returned to it this month and have now gathered just about enough data.

Scope: Tak FSQ 106 ED

Camera: QSI 532 wsg

Filters: Baader 7nm Ha and OIII.  11 x 1800 secs with each

Captured, calibrated and combined in Maxim.  Processed in PS (which seems very uncool these days but God bless it!)

Was wondering whether I should also gather some SII but unconvinced I thought I would try a Hubble bicolour.  So...I've done a mapping of Ha to red and OIII to blue and green for a naturalistic look and another version with Ha mapped to green and OIII to blue and red and done a Hubble process.  Now I'm thinking whether, for many targets (not all), I am better off spending time gathering real signal rather than pratting around with SII given that I don't live in New Mexico!

Elephant trunk Bicolour.png

Elephant trunk bicolour HST.png

Thank you everyone!

11 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Its been a while since I saw an image from you mate, but its well worth the wait :)

I'd never thought of mapping OIII to red and blue, must try it myself!

I posted an image of the Wizard recently and am now back in full swing Rob!

I like the more natural colours of the first image but Hubble colours do show dust nicely.  I love the "waterfall" of dust to the right of the trunk.  Sadly, the nice double star at the top of the trunk was lost due to blooming.

6 hours ago, MartinB said:

Thank you everyone!

I posted an image of the Wizard recently and am now back in full swing Rob!

I like the more natural colours of the first image but Hubble colours do show dust nicely.  I love the "waterfall" of dust to the right of the trunk.  Sadly, the nice double star at the top of the trunk was lost due to blooming.

Sorry mate, must have missed your previous image... doh! 

It's probably possible to keep the double by removing the stars from the colour layer, then progressively blending in  a Ha lum layer with nice tight stars. But it may take a while since you may need to go over the stars removed version with a heal/clone brush to remove any star remnants and then applying dust & scratches before applying the lum.

Great image Martin.  I like them both, but if forced to choose would go for the black-on-gold version.

As to version two - I love it ..... but ... wait one minute .....  weren't you the chap chastising me the other day for heavy handed use of saturation on my M42?  :wink2: :icon_biggrin:

These are super !! I'm not convinced about SII myself, it's probably my least used filter. I do wonder if a few red subs would suffice for some SII..... I may try that some time.

It's great to see you back in the saddle.... I do enjoy your images very much :) 

6 hours ago, gnomus said:

Great image Martin.  I like them both, but if forced to choose would go for the black-on-gold version.

As to version two - I love it ..... but ... wait one minute .....  weren't you the chap chastising me the other day for heavy handed use of saturation on my M42?  :wink2: :icon_biggrin:

Haha!!! You have me :hello2:  Sometimes it's good to try turning the volume up loud

Thank you very much Sara, Chris and Olly, much appreciated and very encouraging

I prefer the gold version but this simply confirms for me that in the UK, bi-colour narrowband imaging is more than just an alternative for Hubble palette - capturing SII has always been a nightmare/disappointment for me and bi-colour obviates the grief.

Lovely images, Martin.

Archived