Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Now THAT'S one-shot colour

pete_l

While looking for something entirely different (honest!) my gaze fell upon this.

HTB1oZwDRFXXXXcLXVXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg?size=3

HTB1cuc1RFXXXXbDXFXXq6xXFXXXK.jpg?size=1

It makes you wonder (at something like €2000 per tube+camera) how many more OTAs you could pile on ...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LoOKs more like a rocket launcher than a telescope... ?

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

No software to coordinate imaging? Could be an issue if you want to dither. 

Regards Andrew 

Yes, surprisingly none of the software packages even support two cameras and dithering out of the box (apart from APT which unfortunately doesn't do re-focusing yet). Maybe it's too small a market.

I wonder if they've tried multiple rig imaging? It strikes me as unlikely that the tubes will, in fact, be perfectly (or near-perfectly) aligned.

None the less the principle is a good one and very productive where I live!

Olly

19 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I do like it but would prefer canon lenses like these.

canonlenses.jpg.fe21c66ad7d12ecbc9590ada90bddb94.jpg

One other thing that has puzzled me is why not shoot CMY instead of RGB, its twice as fast.

Alan

Ha ha...

53 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Looking again at this system, does it, perhaps, have a 'rings within rings' design to allow for individual alignment? Hard to tell from the picture.

Olly

Looks like a must have for Les Granges Astronomy Holiday camp. Welcome to Olly's holiday camp / the camp with a difference / never mind the weather / the processing takes forever...

Regards Andrew

PS Tongue firmly in cheek.

Just 10 lenses? Is that all!

I knew I'd seen something with a huge number, and finally managed to track it down (thanks Google). How's about 24 (well 48 as they come in a pair) :lol: ?

Dragonfly.thumb.jpg.16c0996a5b312dbfbcf364b041cbff96.jpg

It's part of the University of Toronto's "Dragonfly" project, of which Alien's picture is an earlier incantation. More can be read here. What a project!

Ian

25 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I knew I'd seen something with a huge number, and finally managed to track it down (thanks Google). How's about 24 (well 48 as they come in a pair) :lol: ?

It's part of the University of Toronto's "Dragonfly" project, of which Alien's picture is an earlier incantation. More can be read here. What a project!

Ian

It's nice to see you can do leading edge science with commercially available kit. Canon 400mm lenses and Software Bisque Paramount MEII and good sky conditions. 

Regards Andrew 

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

It's nice to see you can do leading edge science with commercially available kit. Canon 400mm lenses and Software Bisque Paramount MEII and good sky conditions. 

Regards Andrew 

I was a bit unsure whether they were standard lenses, on account of the statement "It achieves this using commercially available Canon 400mm lenses with unprecedented nano-fabricated coatings with sub-wavelength structure on optical glasses."  as though the coatings were special. Depends on how you read it. Even so, the expectations of its performance are considerable!

Ian

2 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I was a bit unsure whether they were standard lenses, on account of the statement "It achieves this using commercially available Canon 400mm lenses with unprecedented nano-fabricated coatings with sub-wavelength structure on optical glasses."  as though the coatings were special. Depends on how you read it. Even so, the expectations of its performance are considerable!

Ian

I think they are standard coatings. I recall reading about them at some point on their latest high end lenses.

Regard Andrew 

6 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Ian

I wonder if the photographer who took this portrait shot was left feeling a little inadequate in the lens department?

13 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

wonder if they got a discount

Discount?  They probably got a whole production run.

26 minutes ago, pete_l said:

I wonder if the photographer who took this portrait shot was left feeling a little inadequate in the lens department?

What you don't see, is that they actually used the other 24 lenses to take this.

8 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Ian

Dragonfly? I think they have a bit to go until there:

Compound Eyes (ommatidia) of a Horsefly at about 7:1 cropped

On 11/07/2017 at 11:11, ollypenrice said:

Looking again at this system, does it, perhaps, have a 'rings within rings' design to allow for individual alignment? Hard to tell from the picture.

Olly

I think I read (could be mistaken) that they can be individually aligned but that they specifically have them slightly misaligned (or at least are capable of) so that they can get down to sub-pixels.

The latest models of Canon (and Nikon) lenses have nano coatings which help to reduce glare/reflections, again that is what I have read, it has a slight improvement in contrast compared to previous versions of the lenses.

Archived