Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Now THAT'S one-shot colour

pete_l

8 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

I think I read (could be mistaken) that they can be individually aligned but that they specifically have them slightly misaligned (or at least are capable of) so that they can get down to sub-pixels.

The latest models of Canon (and Nikon) lenses have nano coatings which help to reduce glare/reflections, again that is what I have read, it has a slight improvement in contrast compared to previous versions of the lenses.

So they'd drizzle stack a number of slightly misaligned scopes?

Olly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's that sophisticated. It's 4 times manual focus, and grub screws for alignment. Subpixel alignment? Good luck with that.

(Btw, referring to the original posted setup, not any of the later replies.)

As for the dragonfly project, here are some interesting links.

What the team managed to do is throw money at the ap problem: more glass vs longer integration time. The 24 lenses take 24 subs in the time it takes for one sub. Imagine taking 12 hours of data in 'one' half hour exposure.

Btw, 24 lenses can never, realistically, be pointed in the exact same direction, so there is a natural dither built in.

While most professional astronomers work with long fl scopes to isolate small regions, these astronomers chose to study wide fields with short fl, something very familiar to what we do. It seems that professionals and amateurs are starting to converge.

http://www.dunlap.utoronto.ca/instrumentation/dragonfly/ (this link also refers to a few interesting scientific articles)

http://m.nautil.us/issue/32/space/how-to-discover-a-galaxy-with-a-telephoto-lens?platform=hootsuite

• 2 weeks later...

Archived