Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp.jpg

Astroblagger

Aug states Solar Eclipse

11 posts in this topic

Hello

Im wanting to get to the USA to view the solar eclipse which happens to be on my birthday! Has anyone else made plans for this? I know the west coast of the US has the better chances of being clear. just wondered if there were packages from the uk to go and view it? also where would be logistically the easiest place to get to to view it?

There is a lot of interest in this eclipse, the press are expecting this to be the most photographed eclipse in history.  We're going and combining it with a 3 week tour of the mid-west.  If you are interested in it i think you might have left it a bit late - we started planning five years ago and booked the key hotel rooms two years ago.  This is a big event - there are small towns in the eclipse path typical population 10,000 people and they are expecting 50,000 visitors.  The communities are making special arrangements for water, sanitation, food,emergency services.

there are eclipse based holiday packages on the Internet, we looked at them to get a comparison and they seem ok but the best ones appeared to sell out on the day the advertising was launched last year.

good luck

graeme

Royal Caribbean have a Total Eclipse cruise you could see if they have any last minute availability. :) 

On 30 June 2017 at 23:22, Astroblagger said:

Im wanting to get to the USA to view the solar eclipse which happens to be on my birthday! Has anyone else made plans for this?

At a guess several million have made plans. At this time not sure if you could find anything concrete as accomodation will be in short supply, the RV parks were last I heard booked up to capacity. And in the US you cannot park up on a convenient place as you can in the UK, it has to be a designated RV park. There is probably no point in booking for anywhere outside the path of totaliity as I would honestly expect every road to be at a standstill. Like the one in Cairns Aus a few years back it is expected that the police will cut off the roads leading in owing to the weight traffic.

Total eclipses are becoming big (very big) business these days. Do you know anyone that lives conveniently on the path?

We've booked with Astrotrails to see the Ecllpse ifrom near Lander, WY. I believe  they may be still a few new places available, as due to the high demand they have booked extra accommodation and tour buses.

Good luck!

A list of events in each state in the path of totality is available on americaneclipse2017.org. As has been said, it may be a little late for accommodation though.

We booked our hotel on the east coast in February.  But perhaps the demand isnt as high on the east coast.  We plan on heading up the day before as to try to travel on the morning of the eclipse could be mad!

I am going to be in Estes Park, Colorado around that time, a three-hour drive to Glendo, Wyoming. I intend to leave around midnight before the eclipse, to arrive well in time to set up the EQ mount with Polaris still visible. Fingers crossed for good weather

I'm going to Kansas the night before then driving to St Joseph in the morning. There is a big event there and it is in the path of totality only 1 second short if the maximum time. 

There is apparently space in the hotels in the area even though websites say they are full according to the eclipse site - http://www.stjosepheclipse.com/

Good luck!

Good Grief!

I'm planning to travel to my old stomping grounds in Wyoming in my RV. I was thinking I'd just saunter over to the line and set up early. But it sounds like there is going to be an invasion.

I better call my friend I worked with 37 years ago.

I'm going to make several alternative sites to my plan. :shocked:

I have just checked AirBnB for places to stay in Casper during the eclipse, and there are people asking literally thousands of USD  for one night. That's the true spirit of the free market in action. For my part I will exercise my freedom to decline that offer. I will stick with the old plan of driving during the night from Estes Park to Glendo