NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aug states Solar Eclipse

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of jabber here in the States about it.

I found a site that, although slow to load, shows a bit about the smoke from the current wildfires. https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires

I opened it today, and waited while the page matured. It looks like Mother Nature is doing her best to play mischief all along the path to one extent or another.

Even so, we drove down from Washington State, to our home in Southern California Thursday/Friday, and the smoke from the fires was pretty bad from Peuget Sound to well into Northern California coming down the Interstate 5 freeway. Current wind patterns pushed smoke from the British Columbia fires down into Washington State areas.

Not to discourage those planning holidays here, but to allow you the information.

The above link also affords you the ability to "zoom in" on your planned areas.  And don't forget about Google Earth, or other ways to zero in. 

I'll close with WELCOME! Enjoy your visit, the Eclipse, and to wish you Safe Travels!

See you in the Shadow! :hello:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/weather.htm

And for those of you staying home... you will undoubtedly have the best seats in the house!

And the best access to your refrigerators. :icon_biggrin:

I expect this event to be amazingly covered on the news and on the Internet.

I was at Mount St. Helens two days before it blew. Just a few days later ash was dropping on my home in central California.  Smoke and ash from fires on the west coast also have a far reaching effect. The Midwest or Eastern part of the Country along the eclipse path would be my choice for viewing, along with enjoying a holiday. 

If you haven't already made plans for a viewing location, with lodging, you better  bring lots of cash or a credit card with quite a limit. The hotels and campgrounds are mostly booked within a couple hours either side of the path of totality, from West to East. Best chance of good weather will be  western slopes of the Rockies, it's pretty arid there. The western Oregon coast is prone to fog many times up to midday, and the eclipse will occur before noon in that area, local (PDT).

I live in the 98% total area just north of the path, in western NC, and like mzlee, I plan to travel to South Carolina, to my brother-in-law's home near Clemson. He gets 2 min 33 seconds of totality, and I'm hoping for some photos. Taking my C6, DSLR and a telephoto lens. Watching the latest weather daily, the usual trend in this area is for variable chances of afternoon T-storms.

I would suggest somewhere in the middle of the country, part of Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky or Tennessee. Stay away from the coasts. The west coast and parts of Idaho and Wyoming are dealing with fires and the east coast is under constant threat of thunderstorms this time of year. I'll be heading to South Carolina, not too far from Luna-tic. Hoping for clear weather.

We're staying in Sandy just west of Portland the night before and heading out early next morning in the direction of Madras. I'm not sure exactly where we are going to watch the eclipse, American highways don't seem to have any places to stop and I'm now getting a bit stressed (what with all the hype) about how much traffic there will be on highway 26 going into Madras. I think that I may end up watching the eclipse from the car will sitting in a traffic jam, I hope not :unsure:

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:34, Luna-tic said:

If you haven't already made plans for a viewing location, with lodging, you better  bring lots of cash or a credit card with quite a limit. The hotels and campgrounds are mostly booked within a couple hours either side of the path of totality, from West to East. ......................

Sorry, I wouldn't buy that story.

On 8/5/2017 at 03:23, Stub Mandrel said:

I will close my eyes for teh duration and share the experience without the expense ;-)

Neil, If possible, maybe you can find a broadcast or rebroadcast of a 2 hour news special from the States called: "The Great American Eclipse".

Possibly a webcast? Then you could keep your eyes open.... :wink:

On 09/08/2017 at 23:11, L8-Nite said:

Sorry, I wouldn't buy that story.

Here in NC, traffic enforcement is advising strongly against pulling off the roadside to view. Some states are implementing their emergency evacuation plans to cope with anticipated traffic.  Private property owners are cashing in to allow people on their land to just stand and watch, much less set up for more formal viewing or imaging. Hotels in the path of totality, if not already sold out, have in some cases tripled their prices for their remaining rooms. There has been much hoopla made over this eclipse, people who otherwise wouldn't care are making plans to view it. I'll almost be glad when it's come and gone. Wonder what the 2024 event will bring?

Unfortunately I can't be there but I'm still looking forward to coverage.

I have chased 2 eclipses internationally and did lots of planning very early on! One thing that must be considered is the weather, something else that fascinates me.

Here's a link a useful page:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/where-will-clouds-foil-big-eclipse

Good luck to those who will be there!

31 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Unfortunately I can't be there but I'm still looking forward to coverage.

I have chased 2 eclipses internationally and did lots of planning very early on! One thing that must be considered is the weather, something else that fascinates me.

Here's a link a useful page:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/where-will-clouds-foil-big-eclipse

Good luck to those who will be there!

Great link Paul!

A friend of mine also suggested The Science Channel will be covering the Eclipse. I'm still not sure I get that one. But I do have our CBS station set to record whatever they get.

I canceled my plans, in favor of spending my money on an Atik Infinity a very good friend volunteered to me, with option to purchase. An offer I could not refuse. :wink:

Besides, I don't do crowds well. To put things mildly..... :BangHead::argue::angry4:

There seems to be too many morons in the world without this one showing up, too. :lol:

Me: https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=34.45013428,-118.50037384&sp=KCASAUGU4  :wink:

I can recommend a "survival guide" written by Doc Clay - a quite famous astronomer who specialized in Cassagrain-telescopes: This is his contribution for all:

SOLAR ECLIPSE 2017 SURVIVAL GUIDE.pdf

And his website shouldn't be missed either:

http://arksky.org/

He's also a very nice guy. He's always treated me quite well whenever I've had something go wrong and needed help with a telescope. And his many guides (website) are excellent.

Enjoy!

Dave

3 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I can recommend a "survival guide" written by Doc Clay - a quite famous astronomer who specialized in Cassagrain-telescopes: This is his contribution for all:

SOLAR ECLIPSE 2017 SURVIVAL GUIDE.pdf

And his website shouldn't be missed either:

http://arksky.org/

He's also a very nice guy. He's always treated me quite well whenever I've had something go wrong and needed help with a telescope. And his many guides (website) are excellent.

Enjoy!

Dave

"Until the REAL eclipse over Arkansauce in 2024." :lol::lol::lol::hello2:

Well, I've made it so far. Arrived in Denver on Tuesday night, then a whistle-stop tour through Nebraska and S. Dakota to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument and Devil's Tower. Now 100 miles from Casper WY, hopefully getting there tomorrow morning and sit out the weekend.

Here's me and my boys testing the solar glasses (pukka ones from FLO) on the South Dakota border.

IMG_1490.JPG

We're in an airport hotel in Seattle ready for flight to Jackson Hole Wyoming tomorrow ☺️  Mike was very organised and booked the hotel over a year ago ?  We've already had a fantastic 2 weeks though..... hoping the eclipse will be the icing on the cake!

Helen and Mike

Well they are prepared in Jackson Hole area - e.g. the road out of town to the north now has a portaloo every 200m for about 6 miles? and they are turning one carriageway into a car park!!  

Archived