Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up "Sky at night" Sunday

Timebandit

Really enjoyed watching how the Church embraced astronomy and even pushed the boundaries of what can be learnt from the cosmos and are still doing so today.

This is something that you don't hear much about only how it's always Religion vs Science.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Drat - missed it!

That's what BBC iplayer is for ?

I almost stayed up to watch Brian Cox 40 years of the moon I think it was called but it was a little late for me I think I've seen it anyway but always good to watch something twice you always pick up on bits you missed the first time ?

I forgot it was on! Anyway, caught up on iPlayer this morning, though it is repeated on Thursday I think, fairly late. A thought-provoking episode; I had no knowledge of the Vatican being involved in astronomy, and the Gregorian calender had completely passed me by.

I did note though, that all the evening programmes on BBC4 yesterday were repeats, apart from S@N.

Ian

I hope to watch the repeat on Thursday :)  iPlayer is no good to me - my connection speed isn't good enough :(  Hoping that will change in a few weeks...

Another enjoyable episode.

BTW I'm a garden enthusiast and would really like to go to the Pope's summer palace, the garden there looks amazing. A few years ago I was lucky enough to visit the Vatican private garden which was a real privilege.

44 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Another enjoyable episode.

BTW I'm a garden enthusiast and would really like to go to the Pope's summer palace, the garden there looks amazing. A few years ago I was lucky enough to visit the Vatican private garden which was a real privilege.

I was thinking exactly the same Astro Imp, the gardens look so relaxing; an ideal place to wander and contemplate.  I'm envious of your visit to the private gardens, that must have been something.

I thought the programme was fascinating, another gem from the BCC and Sky at Night team, well done to all. :) 

Jim

A surprise and a great pleasure to see Guy Consolmagno, one of the authors of one of the best (if not THE best) books for astronomy beginners - Turn Left at Orion. As you might expect for such an accessible book, he seems like a really great bloke too. 

A very enjoyable episode of S@N exploring an area that I for one knew nothing about 

I have to Confess, (appropriate I guess, considering the Topics subject) :biggrin:,
but I knew nothing of an Observatory in The Vatican. 
I watched the programme via iPlayer, and enjoyed it thoroughly.
There seemed to be no conflict between Religion and Science, and I was astonished by 
the knowledge  of Astronomy, both old and new displayed by the Observatory Staff interviewed.
The whole place was a revelation in both  knowledge, and beauty. Those gardens are something else.
I think I got an education watching that.

Just watched it on the iPlayer, what a great episode. I found it funny that these days we have super computers to process astronomical data, however a centaury ago the Vatican used three nuns to do the job.

I really enjoyed the philosophical points of view as well. It is a shame philosophy is not taught in schools these days. I tell my undergrads that unless you have a  basic understanding of philosophy, you can not really understand what science is really about. 

Many years ago I stayed in a Villa on the other side of the lake from the Popes summer palace and the Vatican observatory, it is a stunning place. 

Archived