Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from central Florida

dagadget

Hello

I am David and I live in Avon Park, Florida. I have two telescopes, A Celestron Newtonian 114 mm f/l 910 that has bene mounted on a old GT Mount and a Nexstar 8 SE. I have been slowly assembling eyepieces and I have a 2 inch Celestron Diagonal for it along with a tele vue Panoptic 27mm a QX 26mm an ES 24mm and a Paradigm 8mm with a 15 on the way. I have other eyepieces as well in Kellner and Plossl's a 9mm a 10 mm and a 15 mm plus a 2x Barlow and 2 25 mm that came with the scopes one a SMA and the other a Celestron Plossl. I have access to a dark (for Florida) site or 2 inside an hour from me.  I have enjoyed Planets double stars and recently DSO's have started to attract my interests.  Anyway I am looking forward to learning from all of you here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome David, you have signed up to an adventure here on SGL.
The forum is packed with some very knowledgeable folks, and
If you need answers to any questions you may have, they will get prompt attention here
You are well kitted out with Telescope hardware, and we look forward to  your Observing Experiences from
Sunny Florida.
Enjoy your stay.
Best Wishes. :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 01:56, cloudsweeper said:

Hi David - you've got some good kit there, and made a great start.  Amongst other things, you could go for open clusters - easy yet very rewarding and beautiful targets.

There's lots of help and support available here!

Doug.

Yes I have been doing that a lot and also doubles stars. Now that Orion is rising earlier looking around that Constellation has been amazing. The Orion nebula is fantastic.

5 hours ago, dagadget said:

Yes I have been doing that a lot and also doubles stars. Now that Orion is rising earlier looking around that Constellation has been amazing. The Orion nebula is fantastic.

Indeed - it's one of the most popular sights in the sky.  And when you look at the M45 Pleiades Cluster nearby, note also the nebulosity there.  You should be able to spot three or four patches of it.  It helps to vary the magnification a bit (but still maintaining a nice field of view) - increasing mag can improve the contrast up to a point.

Doug.

Archived