NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heart Nebula Reprocess

gnomus

I thought I would have a go at reprocessing the data from Les Granges.  The original is here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/280787-heart-nebula-from-les-granges/

To make the exercise worthwhile, I decided I would just use the data that we captured whilst at Les Granges and not add in the additional Ha and RGB that Olly had from a previous time.  This allowed me to present the original framing.  Every time I add Ha (or OIII) into an image it comes out differently.  It is quite different from the earlier effort, I think.  This is Olly's dual Takahashi rig over 2 nights:

3 hours of RGB

4 hours 15 mins Luminance

11 hours Ha

Total = 18.25 hours

LRGB_Combo3x1920.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

The plentiful data has given you a beautiful and smooth image.  I like it.

Just need to nudge left for the companion now :happy6:.

Nudge left - then nudge down - then nudge back right again to fill in the missing panel......    I suppose I am going back next year...

Great image. The second version is better imo. There is some very nice detail in and around the cluster in the center of the heart. That could make a great image of its own, with the right focal length and sensor size.

Thank you Paddy.  However, I think I overdid the RGB stretch somewhat in the earlier versions and was playing catch up from that point forward.  After several more hours I have come up with this....

HaLRGB_V4_FIN4_CROP_BN.jpg

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

Thank you Paddy.  However, I think I overdid the RGB stretch somewhat in the earlier versions and was playing catch up from that point forward.  After several more hours I have come up with this....

My bad but like the colours better in earlier version for the stars - just need that with the control of the second one now ;) should keep you up a little longer.....

19 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

My bad but like the colours better in earlier version for the stars - just need that with the control of the second one now ;) should keep you up a little longer.....

You're breaking my heart Paddy (literally!!!)  I had deliberately toned down the non-cluster stars in order not to draw attention away from the nebula.  I've amped them back up a bit in this version.  Which is best?  There's only one way to find out ..... 

HaLRGB_V5_FIN_PADDY_STARS.jpg

Second one for me. The final two have the nebulosity a bit on the flat side for my taste but I'm a bit gung-ho on my contrasts.

I've continued to chip away at the 25 hour one we processed together. I wonder what you felt about the effect of the extra data? My feeling was that you just couldn't kill it. It would take some really heavyweight crowbar work in curves. I'll send you the latest version via Dropbox to see what you think.

This is very, very nice data to work with, though.

Olly

55 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Second one for me. The final two have the nebulosity a bit on the flat side for my taste but I'm a bit gung-ho on my contrasts.

I've continued to chip away at the 25 hour one we processed together. I wonder what you felt about the effect of the extra data? My feeling was that you just couldn't kill it. It would take some really heavyweight crowbar work in curves. I'll send you the latest version via Dropbox to see what you think.

This is very, very nice data to work with, though.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  The second version is a little too - what's the word - 'brittle' for my taste at 100%.  Furthermore, I found some odd artefacts from the 'Increase Star Color' Action.  What was happening was that there were groups of close together stars, and when I ran the action I would get a pink/red colour appearing between them.  I'd never noticed anything like that before.  

47 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Nice star colour and great nebulosity - I like this a lot :)

Do you have a preference as to which version, Sara?

5 minutes ago, swag72 said:

No.... no.... you pick something that you like, not something that suits everyone else :)

Ha ha.  No worries.  It is very interesting to hear people's views on my photos (even if I don't always agree with them).  Constructive criticism is always positive, and it helps me to re-think my own views on the pictures.    

Archived