Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Not much time tonight, too much other things to do, but thought I would have a little try with the Celestron Starsense 80LT, before a certain five year old gets hold of it!. :smiley:

IMG_20230402_201404_02-Copy.thumb.jpg.cb25e9b5598c40235db7f981d6b00dce.jpg

Oh my, it needs a tidy up, up there. I will post a short review of my early thoughts on this light setup later. :smiley:

• Like 6

Well it's seems like a lifetime ago since I had a good night.

So here we are, almost perfect clear sky. I'm set up waiting for dark enough to polar align.

Just one fly in the ointment. Or should I say, dirty great glowing cheese ball in the middle of galaxy Central :(

20230402_203100.thumb.jpg.f07df1ca550813f73cf1d8d7b46b4a59.jpg

Look, I'm a big Apollo fan and all that, but really? The Moon has been done. Can't Musk matt black it or something?

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Tried something unusual tonight, and it worked very well, namely the FC-76DC side by side with the FS-60Q on my ScopeTech Zero mount. The mount coped just as well as with only one scope.

101F8CB1-D2B2-4CC2-9E77-2EFCB82811C9.jpeg

0A55EF80-C525-41C9-B29C-39663229C2AD.jpeg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

the turbulence and fast moving atmosphere destroyed any chance of a steady view.

That's just hit me - was fine earlier. Looks like the jetstream moving across according to the forecast. Should have moved on by tomorrow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Tried something unusual tonight, and it worked very well, namely the FC-76DC side by side with the FS-60Q on my ScopeTech Zero mount. The mount coped just as well as with only one scope.

101F8CB1-D2B2-4CC2-9E77-2EFCB82811C9.jpeg

0A55EF80-C525-41C9-B29C-39663229C2AD.jpeg

That's a pretty impressive load on the ScopeTech 😮

I'd be worried about vibration with that setup, but if it worked well enough... nice one👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

That's a pretty impressive load on the ScopeTech 😮

I'd be worried about vibration with that setup, but if it worked well enough... nice one👍

It actually worked surprisingly well. I had the Gitzo up almost fully extended so there was a little more vibration than normal but damping time was quite acceptable to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in another thread but it probably fits better here.

I present that Waltz Of the RC10, the meridian flip. Filmed early this morning as I was imaging Arp 299 in Ursa Major. 

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Venus is looking pretty sharp this evening- hints of some texture there. @mikeDnight was right- it’s better while the sky is bright :)

Mark

5941BBEA-617D-4FFF-AE35-A0F456062A34.jpeg

Looks amazing, but better be careful with those spiky feet on that roofing membrane. Some wooden underlays are highly recommended…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Froeng said:

Looks amazing, but better be careful with those spiky feet on that roofing membrane. Some wooden underlays are highly recommended…

not a bad idea though they're not sharp points and the roofing is pretty hard in the cold- bigger issue in the summer though. The building leaks like a sieve and they won't do anything about it as they're hoping to redevelop the site at some point in the near future

Mark

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markse68 said:

not a bad idea though they're not sharp points and the roofing is pretty hard in the cold- bigger issue in the summer though. The building leaks like a sieve and they won't do anything about it as they're hoping to redevelop the site at some point in the near future

Mark

Haha, I hope it is not leaking because of all the astronomers and their tripod feet…!

• Haha 3

Absolutely loving the dob.  Quick to setup with the sack barrow.

Having used setting circles and the inclinometer with it I'm not sure why these aren't sold as standard with them.  Makes it and absolute dream to use and find objects.

Also featuring the other game changer the astronomy chair.  You can just about see the cushion on it from the mother in law.  Almost worth marrying her daughter just for it!

PXL_20230406_224816026.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Set up for imaging iin a few hours - this is the first time Oiii* has had the big boys on the mounts. The 300PDS fits in just about... and the C925 on the other mount.

Tonight I be huntin' wee swigly blobs**

20230413_132228.jpg.70dee190ab95e971abd288b25d6b0f37.thumb.jpg.c9975f3deb2d0b6504424ad61bfc65d6.jpg

I'll post another picture later when the rocket launcher is ready to fire

*the name of my observatory - I like a good pun 😜

20230413_162730.jpg.87e5f1b9918a950296a4b1f8f237485c.jpg

**galaxies

• Like 10

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

Guns now setup, collimated and loaded...

20230413_184620.jpg

Just to finish - I checked the weather again just after this and it had changed to apparently raining any second... roof back on.. and sure enough it started raining and it's being raining ever since (2 hours later).

I suppose I should be grateful I checked the forecast or I'd probably not have realised it had started raining!

humph! so the big guns will just have to wait for now.

I drove out to a spot to observe venus this evening. The clouds roll over and I had a Hamlet moment thinking to get back in the car and go home. In the end I set up anyway and had a look through thin cloud.

20230413_210713.thumb.jpg.6e3b1083069efd86b4a736d948e9cda3.jpg

• Like 8