Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

In a bid to minimise the glare of Venus, I thought I'd give it a go at 20.00 tonight. Not a mission of seeing it naked eye, it's basically daylight. So I scanned with the binoculars to get an approximate location. Moved to the FS60CB + 28mm Erfle (~4.7° FOV) and centeted it. Then to the finder on the FOA-60Q, centered it again and finally some lovely views with a 6mm Abbe (0.3° FOV)

Malcolm 

20230605_201803.thumb.jpg.765387b1303e84a5782835019e12864d.jpg20230605_205107.thumb.jpg.2b174b622a513628d75e3342fba0312b.jpg

• Like 17

I have spent a few hours over the last couple of days reading every one of the 102 pages of this remarkable thread.  Initially, because I could not recall if I had actually posted in it.  In fact, I was one of the first way back in 2016 making on page 2 sharing some photos from my Africa stargazing travels, from the prior 2 years and again two more times over the next couple of years.  What I found most remarkable was just what an amazing set of instruments SGL members have in their collection.   However, the stand out for me must be @Saganite almost 2 metre log refractor named Andromeda.  To quote a certain famous Jedi Knight, "an elegant weapon of a more civilsed age."

What also surprised me was how this thread has really picked up a head of steam over the last couple of years.  2016 to beginning of 2021 (congrats @JeremyS for the first 2021 post) only covered 36 pages, but we have now grown to the 102 in a few short years since.

However, one little exchange on Page 54 made me chuckle quite loudly.  The benefit of hindsight 21 months later.  On September 7th 2021, @Stu posted a lovely pic of the awesome APM LZOS 130 f/6 the day after its first light.  A few days later, someone on SGL acted as the proverbial serpent in the Telescope Apple Tree to point out there was a FS 128 on UKABS.  To which Stu responded, "Stop it XXXX"

To which the response was "I heard Mrs Stu has changed the combination on the safe at Chateau Stu after your recent equipment spending spree."

Stu responded "That's about right!  I shall be content with the very nice toys I have!"   Really though?  Will you be?  I guess the answer was not quite if you have read recent first light reports for his recently acquired FS 128.  Never let it be said that temptation does not play the long game!!! 😉  I am just teasing (and a bit jealous despite owing my own LZOS 130 f/9.2).  And who was the tempter? why none other than @JeremyS!!

Oh, and as this is a show us your scope at night.  Here is one of my TAK FC-76 on the beach in Mozambique on my most recent observing trip to Africa which is now a few years ago.

MikyWayTak-1.jpg.d7ada4d8b3003b8d1d15de9505704fbf.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I have spent a few hours over the last couple of days reading every one of the 102 pages of this remarkable thread.  Initially, because I could not recall if I had actually posted in it.  In fact, I was one of the first way back in 2016 making on page 2 sharing some photos from my Africa stargazing travels, from the prior 2 years and again two more times over the next couple of years.  What I found most remarkable was just what an amazing set of instruments SGL members have in their collection.   However, the stand out for me must be @Saganite almost 2 metre log refractor named Andromeda.  To quote a certain famous Jedi Knight, "an elegant weapon of a more civilsed age."

What also surprised me was how this thread has really picked up a head of steam over the last couple of years.  2016 to beginning of 2021 (congrats @JeremyS for the first 2021 post) only covered 36 pages, but we have now grown to the 102 in a few short years since.

However, one little exchange on Page 54 made me chuckle quite loudly.  The benefit of hindsight 21 months later.  On September 7th 2021, @Stu posted a lovely pic of the awesome APM LZOS 130 f/6 the day after its first light.  A few days later, someone on SGL acted as the proverbial serpent in the Telescope Apple Tree to point out there was a FS 128 on UKABS.  To which Stu responded, "Stop it XXXX"

To which the response was "I heard Mrs Stu has changed the combination on the safe at Chateau Stu after your recent equipment spending spree."

Stu responded "That's about right!  I shall be content with the very nice toys I have!"   Really though?  Will you be?  I guess the answer was not quite if you have read recent first light reports for his recently acquired FS 128.  Never let it be said that temptation does not play the long game!!! 😉  I am just teasing (and a bit jealous despite owing my own LZOS 130 f/9.2).  And who was the tempter? why none other than @JeremyS!!

Oh, and as this is a show us your scope at night.  Here is one of my TAK FC-76 on the beach in Mozambique on my most recent observing trip to Africa which is now a few years ago.

Tee hee, guilty as charged Matthew! I’m a bit over scoped currently with the 128 and the 130 but hopefully the 130 will move on soon and remove some pressure from the finances and the need to hide scopes away!

The beauty of the FS-128 is that from a distance, Father Ted style, it can easily be mistaken for an FC100DC. Just another white scope, innit 🤣.

You yourself must shoulder some responsibility though, namely for my FS-60C/Q/76DC and my Feathertouch obsession 🤣🤣

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Tee hee, guilty as charged Matthew! I’m a bit over scoped currently with the 128 and the 130 but hopefully the 130 will move on soon and remove some pressure from the finances and the need to hide scopes away!

The beauty of the FS-128 is that from a distance, Father Ted style, it can easily be mistaken for an FC100DC. Just another white scope, innit 🤣.

You yourself must shoulder some responsibility though, namely for my FS-60C/Q/76DC and my Feathertouch obsession 🤣🤣

Guilty as charged.

Hope you can do a shootout before it leaves your collection.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Andromeda was a planet killer and for more than seven years I had superb views of most objects, but, she was just too big to put an Observatory around, or to be absolutely correct too big to get it past the planning dept at home, so, sadly, I had to make a decision last summer. A new owner has Andromeda and I have my Pulsar Obsy with two fine scopes inside, so the correct decision in the end.

I still have Arcturus though..:smiley:

IMG_2418.JPG

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

And who was the tempter?

That @JeremyS has a lot to answer for! And I'm not letting you @DirkSteele and your website off. @HollyHound and @Stu are also culpable! I used to be very happy with, and very much enjoy my Skywatcher ST102. Then all of the above ganged up, twisted my arm, polluted my head and now I have a whole family of Taks and their respective bits and pieces! God bless you all :)

Malcolm 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

That @JeremyS has a lot to answer for! And I'm not letting you @DirkSteele and your website off. @HollyHound and @Stu are also culpable! I used to be very happy with, and very much enjoy my Skywatcher ST102. Then all of the above ganged up, twisted my arm, polluted my head and now I have a whole family of Taks and their respective bits and pieces! God bless you all :)

Malcolm 

Ha ha... you love it really 🤣

And what fine setup(s) you have now 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let’s be clear though, all roads lead back to @DirkSteele and his pesky website! 🤣🤣

My wallet has much to blame you for Matthew, but my observing is very grateful for the introduction to such lovely scopes 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

Let’s be clear though, all roads lead back to @DirkSteele and his pesky website! 🤣🤣

My wallet has much to blame you for Matthew, but my observing is very grateful for the introduction to such lovely scopes 👍👍

Same... I've spent a good while poring over the reviews on Alpha Lyrae too 😬

Not forgetting ScopeViews too of course... I've had (and in most cases still have) a good number of the scopes in these reviews 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Vixen ED102SS out tonight eyeing up Delta Cygni. Nice double with this scope - the secondary star sits on the outside edge of the diffraction ring created by the primary star. A sort of "diamond ring" effect 🙂

20230608_223713.jpg.3e878988a7cc37165848ea205adc924f.jpg

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Saganite said:

Andromeda was a planet killer and for more than seven years I had superb views of most objects, but, she was just too big to put an Observatory around, or to be absolutely correct too big to get it past the planning dept at home, so sadly I had to make a decision last summer. A new owner has Andromeda and I have my Pulsar Obsy with two fine scopes inside, so the correct decision in the end.

I still have Arcturus though..:smiley:

IMG_2418.JPG

What a beautiful pair you have there! 

omg did I just put my foot in my mouth? remember this is a family site 🤣

• Haha 4

Thanks.

There is now a dome around that pier and I have mounted Arcturus knowing full well it would stick through the slit, and though I would be very careful to rotate the dome as the telescope slews, I don't think I will be trying it...:smiley:

The f14 will be strictly for the tripod in the garden

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

This is the set up now, APM ED 152 and Vixen ED103 Swt, on Az100. The pier which once supported Andromeda is solid as a rock.

IMG_2995.JPG

Beautiful! What a perfect setup 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/23, before the 1st night of the Iris Nebula (and before the thunderstorm...).
New components added: a trustworthy Losmandy-style dovetail by Altair Astro as a base and a WO Vixen-style one with clamps just for accessories. The Vixen-style clamps for ASIair offered by the FLO are so strong that my Evoguide attached to another imaging setup (APO) doesn't even twitch. 🙂

NewComponents.thumb.jpg.f7191fa3b61a5364ed07022cfc5c7775.jpg

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 11

Don't tell the boss...

Took the 'travel setup' in to work to try and see Saturn in the morning.  This was earlier, about 0130 (during lunch break) when I was doing a quick star test and showing the guys albireo.  Central Aberdeen and only civil twilight so starhopping wasn't something I fancied.  Gave them a quick rundown of the summer triangle and Cygnus, which was about all you could see naked eye.

Guys were reasonably impressed with the double, but a miscalculation by myself meant we missed Saturn.  Figured it out so will have another go.

FYI, a child seat is perfectly sized to hold a small 5" Newtonian vertically.

IMG-20230616-WA0000.jpg

• Like 19

Not really night, but as close as it gets at 53⁰N at this time of year. First light for my new APM140, which I collected today from The Widescreen Centre. A low Venus and the Moon, briefly before they dropped below the treeline, then Polaris and Mizar. My GPD2 mount managed the weight (around 10kg) just fine for visual. Too soon to have a considered opinion, but very pleased with it so far.

IMG_20230621_231502983.thumb.jpg.8af7b1ffb13dc1dc59ec8b47dd5656e2.jpg

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, melsmore said:

Not really night, but as close as it gets at 53⁰N at this time of year. First light for my new APM140, which I collected today from The Widescreen Centre. A low Venus and the Moon, briefly before they dropped below the treeline, then Polaris and Mizar. My GPD2 mount managed the weight (around 10kg) just fine for visual. Too soon to have a considered opinion, but very pleased with it so far.

IMG_20230621_231502983.thumb.jpg.8af7b1ffb13dc1dc59ec8b47dd5656e2.jpg

Nice looking setup 🙂

I've been attracted to those 140's ever since they came out.

• Thanks 1