Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Cornwall

John in Penzance

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John and welcome to the lounge. Another uk chap in SGL and what a nice part of the country you are from. I was down in Cornwall a few weeks back picking my DOB up , and  what a lovely sunny day it was too? if I had more time I would of dipped my toes in the sea and had an ice cream? unfortunately time was not on my side. Any way welcome to the best stargazers site on the web in my opinion, lots of advice and interesting views on the site. But be warned it can be addictive this hobby and we do love to spend people's money on this site, but in a good way with good advice and top class kit, especially us guys and girls who like the green stuff in our eyepiece Case's ?

You're all very kind, thank you. I've been thinking about astrophotography, joining is another step toward parting with money.  Joining here was suggested along with buying a book for beginners. The book's in the post.

I have it in mind that choosing a camera defines to a large extent what else has to go with it. I don't have a DSLR and even if I had it would be filtered internally. I keep going back to the CMOS ZWO monochromatic cooled imager, I can't see anything else like it and if I start there it seems to define what I'd use, step by step. It has a USB3 port for the imagery and a Windows 10 driver, it has a Guider Control Port which I presume works at the same time to move the mount motor. Am I being silly so far? I could wait until I've read the book before asking.

14 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Welcome to the SGL - I ate the best Skate and Chips ever in Penance at least thirty years ago, I can almost taste it now!

I did much the same in the mid-nineties  going back to Bristol from Rhossili as roundabout a way as possible, and stopping for an hour with fish and chips at Pontarddulais. Not a sensible route.

The back garden here has no street lamp or neighbour's lights visible, and I don't drive. I'm hoping I might at least start out viewing from there. I expect having the use of an extension lead will be a bonus too, which a remote field wouldn't.

That's the one I'm having delivered, Des. I tried looking up what a photon is but the description seems very unlikely. Really really unlikely. The article said a photon gets thrown off an atom and then goes in an absolutely straight line across some warped Einsteinian space-time with no deviation at all. I can't do that across a room but that photon keeps it up for years on end until against all probability it hits my three inch mirror. Maybe Mr Richards will put me right.

50 minutes ago, John in Penzance said:

That's the one I'm having delivered, Des. I tried looking up what a photon is but the description seems very unlikely. Really really unlikely. The article said a photon gets thrown off an atom and then goes in an absolutely straight line across some warped Einsteinian space-time with no deviation at all. I can't do that across a room but that photon keeps it up for years on end until against all probability it hits my three inch mirror. Maybe Mr Richards will put me right.

Hi John, 

Welcome to the SGL!

I was looking at the Whirlpool galaxy a month or so back and still find it amazing that those photons of light had been travelling for 23 million years before bouncing off my mirrors and hitting the back of my retina.  

Also John

15 hours ago, John in Penzance said:

You're all very kind, thank you. I've been thinking about astrophotography, joining is another step toward parting with money.  Joining here was suggested along with buying a book for beginners. The book's in the post.

I have it in mind that choosing a camera defines to a large extent what else has to go with it. I don't have a DSLR and even if I had it would be filtered internally. I keep going back to the CMOS ZWO monochromatic cooled imager, I can't see anything else like it and if I start there it seems to define what I'd use, step by step. It has a USB3 port for the imagery and a Windows 10 driver, it has a Guider Control Port which I presume works at the same time to move the mount motor. Am I being silly so far? I could wait until I've read the book before asking.

Hello and welcome to SGL. The camera will work as either a guide camera of an imaging device, but not both at the same time.

Archived