Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who's had enough of the transit of Mercury?

Starman

It was cloudy in Selsey (where I live) so I had to travel north. Ended up in Leicester on the dividing line between cloud and Sun. Fortunately the cloud dispersed a little giving me clear skies. I've a lot of stuff to wade through, but here are some of the initial results...

20160509_142938_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_145732_Cak-PST_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_132733_Ha-SF70_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_111229_Ha-QuarkCS_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_Determining-H-alpha-First-Contact_ToM.jpg

Cheers, 

Pete Lawrence 

Fantastic stuff Pete. I love the first contact sequence, amazing detail.

Interesting to compare the first contact time (which I think was achieved visually) by Alexandra a little later, but still ahead of the Calsky prediction presumably due to the prom? Not sure about differences due to location so how comparable the two times are?

That's a real fine set of pictures Pete.  I particularly like the close-up of Mercury overlapping the prominence and the sequences that follow it.  I'm delighted you headed North for clear skies or we would have been deprived of these wonderful pictures.

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a great event. I saw my first Mercury transit in 2003 along with my youngest lad who was 10 at the time. Was rather fitting that I was in Leicester for this one as he's at the University up to his neck in finals.

Pete

Archived