Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NOT HAPPY - WINDOWS 10 Upgrade Scheduled

Bizibilder

I am NOT a happy bunny - my imaging laptop has just informed me that it will upgrade to Windows 10 tonight at 23.00. ("Please leave it switched on but don't use it for about 90mins!").

That, in case you are unaware, would be a 3Gb download.  If you are on a limited download contract it may take you over your limit and get you a surcharge!!

I don't want windows 10 on that machine and I don't want an automatic upgrade - free or not!!!!!

There seems to be a choice to "reschedule" the upgrade but none to refuse it.  

Just be aware of this.

i have upgraded my main desktop and second lappy to Windows 10 about a week ago but I think I may spend this weekend reverting to Windows 7.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this on my desktop PC, I think I went online to Microsoft to 'opt' out of it, also download CCleaner, install & remove any startup items (or disable them) that you don't want running.

I've been avoiding the 'free upgrade' for Windows 10 as I figure it's bound to cause incompatibility issues with other software.  Why upgrade when my laptop works perfectly well as it is?  There 's always the 'system restore' to revert to to get back to Windows 7.

John

I read that if Windows 10 was not updated (ie. not connected to the internet and updated/checked-out regular)  then bits of it progressively stopped working after a time. Was this a scare story or true ? If true, was it only for downloaded 'extras', apps etc., or was it core Win10 ? Sounds a bit odd, anyone heard / know similar ?

I think I am going to keep my Win8.1 machines out of the devils grasp till the free updates to 10 have run out ! (and only allow my Vistas on the interweb meanwhile :) )

PS I think the option to roll back from Win10 also expires ?

2 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

I read that if Windows 10 was not updated (ie. not connected to the internet and updated/checked-out regular)  then bits of it progressively stopped working after a time. Was this a scare story or true ? If true, was it only for downloaded 'extras', apps etc., or was it core Win10 ? Sounds a bit odd, anyone heard / know similar ?

I think I am going to keep my Win8.1 machines out of the devils grasp till the free updates to 10 have run out ! (and only allow my Vistas on the interweb meanwhile :) )

Sounds sensible to me :icon_biggrin:

Yes they can.

But its very very simple. You click the setting which is called something like 'mark this connection as metered'.

If using a cable to connect to the internet the easiest way is to buy a USB dongle and connect through WiFi with it, as you can then mark the connection as metered.

Basically the metered setting is there to stop huge downloads happening for people who pay per mb of data. Its not cheating and does not involve any major computing knowledge.

3 minutes ago, beamer3.6m said:

Basically the metered setting is there to stop huge downloads happening for people who pay per mb of data.

Yes exactly so, and have they not heard of capped contracts ! Even more reasons it seems to me to avoid Win10.

I'm already on a USB dongle, but that appears as a wired dial-up would you believe even though it is broadband ( though not as broad as some ),, but I digress,,,

As long as it dont progressively expire that may be one saving grace; do you have an authoritative link to his masters voice that this is a myth, or is it a myth that it is a myth :) iyswim :)   Signed, Suspicious of Tonbridge.

I have had problems on two computers with Win 10. I have reinstalled Win 7 on both at some considerable cost in time and effort. If you are not sure get GWX and use it to stop all further attempts at updating to Win 10. As has been said why try to fix something that is not broken.

Derek

For those that want to kill-off loads of the crap that now comes with Win 10, lookup remove-appxpackage and remove-appxprovisionedpackage. These are powershell commands that will remove a lot of the dross....

I hate Win10. Had to reinstall everything astro, it takes up tons of resources, and since installing it, Nebulosity 3 stops responding when used with my Atik 11000 sometimes. Didnt have a single problem with Win 7. Also, went up to obsy one night to find pc had put itself into sleep mode and would not be brought out, had to hard boot. Thanks Microsoft :(

Upgrading to a new version of an operating system requires research and tests, and also making sure you configure everything correctly. One of the items that usually gets reset when upgrading a Windows system is the sleep settings. With every new installation, that is the first thing to ensure (no sleep whatsoever). Did you check that, and did you confirm with Atik that their drivers work on Windows 10 before upgrading?

Unfortunately, lots of people just do it without confirming and without checking settings.

One piece of advise when it comes to Windows 10: If you use the non-professional version, you cannot (easily) get rid of automatic updates. Alas, if you have that, you should make sure everything needed for reaching the machine after a reboot is started automatically. But best of all is to simply fork up the extra cost of upgrading to Pro.

Windows 10 has its quirks, but so far I have not found anything that doesn't work. Here are some (not all) of the things I know work:

• Stellarium
  • SBIG drivers
  • QSI drivers
  • MaximDL 5 and 6
  • Nebulosity 3
  • ACP 8
  • Pinpoint
  • Cartes du Ciel
  • ASCOM Platform 6.1 and 6.2
  • All ASCOM drivers I have tried to date (most writen by me, fully compliant with the platform)
  • Pixinsight
  • Photoshop
  • CCD Inspector
  • CCD Autopilot
  • All 10Micron software including drivers
  • Stickstation software
  • Arduino development
  • FocusMax 3 and 4
  • SGPro
  • Elbrus
  • ANSVR

Given the range of these applications and packages, I make the assumption that most of the stuff out there will actually work.

/per

Apparently it will download automatically and can start to install*. It's up to the user to click on an "OK" button to proceed with the installation, so it's not a mandatory installation. If you do install it, you can still roll back the installation within the first 30 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/02/microsoft-downloading-windows-10-automatic-update

*Personally, I think that its worth upgrading. its more stable than Win 7 (and that was stable) plus it's a bit easier on resources. I run my obsy PC on it and everything works fine:

• SiTech software
  • Nebulosity
  • SGPro
  • Photoshop
  • Firecapture
  • ImPPG
  • Autostakkert
  • Cartes du Ciel

Archived