Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NOT HAPPY - WINDOWS 10 Upgrade Scheduled

Bizibilder

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win10 is very intrusive regarding privacy issues, always do a Custom installation, do away with that Cortanan thing, also. get rid of all those apps you will never use, use Firefox, CC cleaner free after (not Win disc cleaner), or Kevin solway Disk Clean (free), do a 3 pass wipe after EVERY session, updates can be controlled by getting rid of the auto app/download. 

There are a few other ways if you Google that will minimise Window 10 privacy and control issues. 

Or, alternatively, just go into settings and disable the information sharing.

Lets face it, if being anonymous is vitally important to you then you won't have an Apple or Android phone or tablet. You won't use any other browser apart from a TOR browser. You won't use ANY social media. You won't have any "smart" devices in your house (so no smart TVs, NEXT heating controls, SONOS etc etc). There's a reason why we get £500 smartphones for not a lot of money with a contract, or get the latest OS from Microsoft for free.....they want to use your activity and data.

Upgraded quite a few lappies and pcs and bought one new one..........

“It reminds me of that fellow back home that fell off a ten story building. 
As he was falling people on each floor kept hearing him say, "So far, so good."” 
:icon_biggrin:     Harvey Mushman

“Sometimes you have to say goodbye to the things you know and hello to the things you don't.”    Harvey Mushman

My 3 year old Toshiba Satellite lappy is a W7 machine. Apparently there is still no W10 upgrade available for it. I'm starting to think that it's been left behind.

Not bothered about it really. I don't use it productively. I'm happier using android.   Windoze spends too much time running windoze and not enough time looking at the keyboard to see if someone is trying to use the computer. 

I upgraded to Win10 on all my pc's and haven't had any big problems so far, a few annoyances because of bugs, just minor issues thou.

Some older software that didn't work on Win 7/8 even works on Win10.

On slower hardware it's faster than both Win7 and 8.

To get back the classic start menu i recommend to install Classic Shell

startmenu3.png

Thanks for this, Ole.

I have a tablet with W10 on it and I HATE it - can never find anything. Will give this a go and maybe I will start being able to drag myself into modern systems (kicking and screaming, of course!). Personally, I would like to find/join/start a "Let's go back to 98SE" club!

Roger, I'm in a similar boat.  My dedicated solar laptop (the only one of three with a USB 2.0 port) is, hopefully, running Win 10 this morning.  I finally gave up when that stupid pop-up kept appearing during a capture session.  Like you, I couldn't find any to "just say NO!!!".

We'll see.

You could always use http://dws.wzor.net/

This works in Win7 also and removes the various updates and registry entries for Win10 updates.

If you have upgraded, use this to turn off all the information sharing, metro apps, etc.

It is selective but not reversible!

I have run this on my Win7 laptop and my Win10 image processing box... All good :)

After all the problems i had, now all work laptops are set not to run win update, and i stopped gwx and uninstalled kb3035583. On them all.   

Win10 32bit wont run any scanner / scale firmware flash Software that we need to use.   

Oh and ive now imaged every work pc just in case and have set up a couple if spare old laptops in case they are needed  

Windows OS are like star trek films, every other one was great....

I was a big windows 7 fan, 8/8.1 were truely awful but i think they have it right with 10. Its much better on resource and if you count the 2 PC's i use in work then i am regularly using 9 Windows 10 PC's and i have had no crashes/BSODs yet nor have i found once piece of Astro software or driver that doesn't work.

Of the 7 computers i have 64bit & one 32bit, 2 x I7's 2 x I5's, my tablets use Cherry Tree Atoms and i have a mixture of RAM from 2 to 32gb. They are all running Windows 10 Enterprise Edition and all run fine and i have Astro kit installed on all of them. The 32bit 2gb RAM tablet won't run too much at once for obvious reasons but its good for testing with.

I'm deffo a fan of 10, i think a lot of people who were on 8 were put off 10 & the people who remained on 7 sat there laughing at the 8 users and rightly happy with 7 now don't want to change, windows XP vs Vista vs 7 all over again.

One word of note though is that i have/will only ever do a clean install never an update, maybe theres something in that...

I have to admit being a fan of Windows 10 now that I've used in on my desktop and "spare" imaging laptop (both lappy's second hand "refurbs").  My only gripe is with the "forced" updates.  I have been rescheduling the second lappy's updates as far "forward" as possible and almost certainly will update it to Windows 10 but in my own time.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:45, Xplode said:

I upgraded to Win10 on all my pc's and haven't had any big problems so far, a few annoyances because of bugs, just minor issues thou.

Some older software that didn't work on Win 7/8 even works on Win10.

On slower hardware it's faster than both Win7 and 8.

To get back the classic start menu i recommend to install Classic Shell

startmenu3.png

I have just installed this. Wonderful. Thanks so much.:hello2:

As if by magic, my lappy informed me yesterday that W10 upgrade was scheduled for Thursday. I elected to install now and off it popped to set about the task.

About 90 mins later it came back to me looking quite familiar.

Still got my own desktop exactly how I left it but with a very different tool bar. 

Quick look round found nothing I can't live with and there may well be some things I like. Which obviously rubs against the grain with a grumpy old man! :)

I can't say I can detect any speed improvements so far. As I said above, I'm not a hard core processor abuser. The machine still spends some time navel gazing, oblivious to the fact I'm trying to do something. I think that's more to do with architecture than operating system. Maybe there is still some housekeeping going on relating to the upgrade.

Anyway, I'm a W10 survivor....so far!! :happy6:

Archived