Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik Infinity - First Light

Spacedout

Hello All,

I managed to try out my new Infinity the other night and I was extremely pleased to say the least!   The software was a dream to use and is pretty much plug and play though I'm sure once I get chance to suss it out more I'll get better results.  I used the camera on my CPC 1100 Edge with M13 at F5 3.5 seconds and M57 at F10 and 5 seconds.  

So far so good :)  

M13 .jpg

M57 ..jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, des anderson said:

WOW......SMASHING....GREAT IMAGES.Des

Thanks Des I thought so so too.  Was better live and hopefully next time I'll get some video to show how the software works and how the image improves as the software does it's magic.  I think I'm going to like this camera a LOT  :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Ruud said:

It works like a charm! Wonderful first results - congratulations!

Thank you Ruud and yes you are right it works very well indeed.  Credit to Atik, they have got this spot on and seem to understand very well what we've all been looking for.  Exciting times for this sport!

3 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very good capture indeed, looking forward to seeing more! Did you do some kind of non-linear stretch in M13 to stop the core getting burned out?

Hi Rob,

Thank you I can't wait to show this live! 

I have no idea what non-linear stretching is TBH or even if it is  option with the Infinity software.  I just set the exposure and let the thing run.  I did tweak the slider thingy at the bottom to make the background darker but that is about it.  That said it was only on 3.5 seconds exposure so I would not expect it to blow out on that.

17 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Hi Rob,

Thank you I can't wait to show this live! 

I have no idea what non-linear stretching is TBH or even if it is  option with the Infinity software.  I just set the exposure and let the thing run.  I did tweak the slider thingy at the bottom to make the background darker but that is about it.  That said it was only on 3.5 seconds exposure so I would not expect it to blow out on that.

Hi Robert and Sapcedout (Carl?)

In the Atik Infinity software there is an advanced option feature that lets you alter your histogram reading one is "Log" which is a logarithmic scale for non-linear stretching in both x & y axis and "Normal" which is a linear stretching in both x & y axis. The "Log" method starts by default, so I would say you have it set to non-linear.

Both images are very nice and for a slow focal ratio esp. f/10 the Infinity seems to be really sensitive with only 5 seconds for M57. 

Chris A

Astrogate

1 hour ago, Astrogate said:

In the Atik Infinity software there is an advanced option feature that lets you alter your histogram reading one is "Log" which is a logarithmic scale for non-linear stretching in both x & y axis and "Normal" which is a linear stretching in both x & y axis. The "Log" method starts by default, so I would say you have it set to non-linear.

Both images are very nice and for a slow focal ratio esp. f/10 the Infinity seems to be really sensitive with only 5 seconds for M57. 

Chris A

Astrogate

Chris,

Just want to point out that M57 is stacked x55 or 275 total seconds of data.

Don

11 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Chris,

Just want to point out that M57 is stacked x55 or 275 total seconds of data.

Don

Yes Don thank you I saw that in the software, but still for only 5 sec sub-images the signal to noise ratio is good therefore allowing such a short exposure @ f/10 to work with multiple stacked subs.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Astrogate said:

Yes Don thank you I saw that in the software, but still for only 5 sec sub-images the signal to noise ratio is good therefore allowing such a short exposure @ f/10 to work with multiple stacked suds.

Chris

Also keep in mind though that both objects M13 & M57 are not faint DSO's and that helps with the S/N

Chris

1 hour ago, Astrogate said:

Also keep in mind though that both objects M13 & M57 are not faint DSO's and that helps with the S/N

Chris

Yes, I was going to point that out as well.

Don

2 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Yes, I was going to point that out as well.

Don

Hello Don,

I must say it's disappointing you felt the need to make these points and I can't help but wonder why.  Surely you would know that someone of Chris's caliber is gong to read the information provided on each image?  I feel your comments are unnecessary and a tad belittling but as you have please allow me to make some of my own:

1 - This was First Light 

2 - I loaded and learnt the software in about 5 minutes (turn on, select 5 seconds and hey presto)

3 - No need steep learning curve about non-linear stretching, binning this or binning that. 

4 - Quick set up, in between the house and garage with lights shining from both (I did not bother as this was a quick play before the clouds rolled in)

As for the targets, yes they are bright and relatively easy and I have no idea how the camera will work on the dimmer objects but others have got great results.  Time will tell I guess but for now I am very happy and I have to say full credit Atik on producing a great camera and software. 

Best wishes

Karl

For transparency:

M13 @ 3 seconds.jpg

M57 @x0.jpg

M57 @ x15.jpg

M57 @ x20.jpg

6 hours ago, Astrogate said:

Chris A

Astrogate

Thank you Chris, I will have a look and see what it's set at.   I'm sure once I understand the software better and with the right conditions this camera will make me very happy indeed!

Much appreciated

Karl

1 hour ago, Spacedout said:

Hello Don,

I must say it's disappointing you felt the need to make these points and I can't help but wonder why.  Surely you would know that someone of Chris's caliber is gong to read the information provided on each image?  I feel your comments are unnecessary and a tad belittling but as you have please allow me to make some of my own:

1 - This was First Light 

2 - I loaded and learnt the software in about 5 minutes (turn on, select 5 seconds and hey presto)

3 - No need steep learning curve about non-linear stretching, binning this or binning that. 

4 - Quick set up, in between the house and garage with lights shining from both (I did not bother as this was a quick play before the clouds rolled in)

As for the targets, yes they are bright and relatively easy and I have no idea how the camera will work on the dimmer objects but others have got great results.  Time will tell I guess but for now I am very happy and I have to say full credit Atik on producing a great camera and software. 

Best wishes

Karl

For transparency:

M13 @ 3 seconds.jpg

M57 @x0.jpg

M57 @ x15.jpg

M57 @ x20.jpg

Hi Karl,

I think you're reading too much from my post.  I don't know if Chris saw the stacking info or not, but others reading his post might think it's only a five second exposure.  55 stacks makes a big difference.  The objects are bright DSO's as Chris indicated, so I don't believe it's a good basis for determining sensitivity.  He was the one who pointed that out, not me.  That thought did cross my mind when I read his post.  No attempt to belittle anyone, just clarifying.  I hope you can see that.  

Good first light images.  Hope to see more soon.

Don

Karl, I'm really starting to get interested in this camera having first came across it in the video astronomy section and then watching a few You Tube videos.  It's got such a great potential I think for public outreach and just simply making time at the scope more interesting for say those who are to date predominately visual astronomers.  I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.  Good luck with it, hope you keep getting a kick out of it.

Jim

29 minutes ago, HiloDon said:

Hi Karl,

I think you're reading too much from my post.  I don't know if Chris saw the stacking info or not, but others reading his post might think it's only a five second exposure.  55 stacks makes a big difference.  The objects are bright DSO's as Chris indicated, so I don't believe it's a good basis for determining sensitivity.  He was the one who pointed that out, not me.  That thought did cross my mind when I read his post.  No attempt to belittle anyone, just clarifying.  I hope you can see that.  

Don

Thank you for your help in clarifying but as I said, it really wasn't necessary as the information is right there in each image and now from 3 seconds and on plus the conditions so there can be no misunderstanding.    

11 minutes ago, saac said:

Karl, I'm really starting to get interested in this camera having first came across it in the video astronomy section and then watching a few You Tube videos.  It's got such a great potential I think for public outreach and just simply making time at the scope more interesting for say those who are to date predominately visual astronomers.  I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.  Good luck with it, hope you keep getting a kick out of it.

Jim

Thank you Jim and yes this camera is perfect for public outreach and Video Astronomy in general.  It is so simple to use and produces some very nice near live views.   Early days for me yet but going by what I've seen o far and from other peoples results I'd say this camera has a lot of kicks in store over the coming weeks and months.  Hope to post more soon but next time I'll try for video, it is VA after all :icon_biggrin:

Best wishes

Karl

6 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Thank you Chris, I will have a look and see what it's set at.   I'm sure once I understand the software better and with the right conditions this camera will make me very happy indeed!

Much appreciated

Karl

Hi Karl

I have my Atik Infinity now but it has been cloudy ever since I have received it like it always does. I have played with the Infinity software and must say that it works terrific and is very user friendly for everyone. I did notice prior to my initial comment that you had stacking on but still being able to use 5 sec sub exposures at f/10 is a very good sign that this camera is very sensitive and the read noise is not too bad. I really am impressed with your 1st light using a new camera and software and you should be very proud. Keep up the good work, please post some more images and most importantly have fun.

Cheers,

Chris A

4 hours ago, saac said:

Jim

Jim,

I have not used my Infinity camera as of yet but from what I have seen so far it seems very good with excellent software!

Chris A

14 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Hi Karl,

Don

To be honest, we should just congratulate on some very nice images . what the infinity can or cannot do is irrelevant in this case.

Eric

9 hours ago, Astrogate said:

Jim,

I have not used my Infinity camera as of yet but from what I have seen so far it seems very good with excellent software!

Chris A

Same here 

Great shots Karl!

I've been out of action for a long while now and it would appear, whilst I've been gone, that the Mallincam Xtreme has been trumped and is perhaps no longer the "leader" (I know, it was always disputed by fans of other brands) of VA cameras that it once was?

On 3 April 2016 at 23:12, Spacedout said:

Thank you Ruud and yes you are right it works very well indeed.  Credit to Atik, they have got this spot on and seem to understand very well what we've all been looking for.  Exciting times for this sport!

Indeed great results Spacedout and its one camera i have my eye on for this exciting 'sport' .....:hello2:

Archived