SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Infinity - Second Light!

Spacedout

Hello All, 

I had another play with the new cam on Tuesday and I am gobsmacked at how much fun this camera and software are!  I have to include the software as it really is very much part of the package for sure!  After the first exposure the image is pretty good but watching it improve as the stacking does it's work is absolutely fantastic!  So simple too as all the user really needs to do is select the exposure, click stacking and hit play!  Then if you want you can tweak the image to suit with the histogram slider at the bottom of the software. 

I must say after using this camera only twice I love it and can't wait to start broadcasting with it.  I think it is absolutely perfect for live video streaming and pubic outreach.  Yes you may have to wait a few minutes to reach the perfect view but as I say the view after the first exposure is still very good and your viewers will enjoy watching you tweak the settings as the detail gets better and better.  For a live show I normally spend 5-10 minutes on one target anyway so perfect!  As the image improves you can talk about what you are doing with the software, the target it'self and then once everyone is satisfied off you pop to the next target!   

So far I've only tried it on smaller brighter targets so I can't say how it will perform on the dimmer stuff yet but I plan to get the Hyperstar soon to try a few out :icon_biggrin: 

It's exciting times for this sport folks and I can not wait to see what camera comes out next  :headbang:

Anyways, here are a few images showing the views at various stacking stages.

Best wishes

Karl

M82 Best.jpg

M82 x 16 160s.jpg

M81 Best X 16 560S.jpg

M81 Full 2.jpg

M81 X2 70S.jpg

M51 Full.jpg

M51 x 12 540s.jpg

M51 X3 135S.jpg

M104 x 3 135s.jpg

M104 x11 495s.jpg

Thanks Carlos, I have to say I agree on the detail but it's hats off to Atik I think as all I did was plug it into the scope, click play and then sat back with the popcorn!   This has spurred me on though to complete the setup and get ready for broadcasting again so watch this space! 

Hi Karl,

Wow what a very nice set of deep sky images captured with this amazing set-up. The detail, colour and contrast is very nice. What focal ratio are you at with the SCT 11" Karl please? I am very much looking forward to using my new Atik Infinity when everything is straightened out.

Cheers,

Chris A

Hi Chris,

This was a .5 reducer so F5 I believe.  I tried one at F10 but my goto was a little off so I kept it at F5.  Some of the images may look closer as I was experimenting with the zoom.  One thing about this camera is you can zoom in very well as the resolution is so good.   Hope you get sorted soon Chris and thank you I'm glad you like them.

Best wishes

Karl

Very nice results indeed Karl. Objects nicely framed with your C11@F5. Interesting to hear have Hyperstar on the way, I think this will be a fantastic setup and looking forward to seeing how you get on.

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Very nice results indeed Karl. Objects nicely framed with your C11@F5. Interesting to hear have Hyperstar on the way, I think this will be a fantastic setup and looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Thanks Rob,

Yes I am surprised.  I'm using astronomy tools to work out which targets to go for and I have a nice list of targets still to try.  After that the Hyperstar is the only option.  I have not ordered it yet as I wanted to test out the .5 reducer.  I had read it would not work great with the Edge and that I'd need the dedicated Edge reducer but at only .7 it seems hardly worth it.  I hope to order the HS soon as Dons results speak for themselves :)  I don't expect the same of course but even half as good will be worth the price for sure!  

15 minutes ago, mcsheffield said:

Karl,

if that's what you were able to get just plugging the thing in, I think the future results are going to be great, looks like they have produced a great camera with software that is made for the job.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew and yes that's what I am hoping.  There are several advanced options in the software I've not even tried yet.  These were captured with the default settings and a little tweaking of the histogram.  Atik have definitely got it right with this one and I think this along with the Lodestar success is great news for all of us.  I can't wait to see what comes up next as it seems there are quite a few companies now showing more interest in VA/EAA!  

11 hours ago, Spacedout said:

It's exciting times for this sport folks

Great images but really EAA a sport ????? :-)   Cant see it being part of the Olympic's just yet. Great write up - keep um coming especially when you get your HS .

8 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Thanks Rob,

Yes I am surprised.  I'm using astronomy tools to work out which targets to go for and I have a nice list of targets still to try.  After that the Hyperstar is the only option.  I have not ordered it yet as I wanted to test out the .5 reducer.  I had read it would not work great with the Edge and that I'd need the dedicated Edge reducer but at only .7 it seems hardly worth it.  I hope to order the HS soon as Dons results speak for themselves :)  I don't expect the same of course but even half as good will be worth the price for sure!  

Hi Karl,

Great set of images.  I think you will love Hyperstar.  Your .5 reducer works very well, too.  If you want .7, just shorten the length between the reducer and sensor. HS and the .5 reducer will compliment each other to give a nice range of focal length and FOV.  Can't wait to see your HS captures.

Don

10 hours ago, stash_old said:

Great images but really EAA a sport ????? :-)   Cant see it being part of the Olympic's just yet. Great write up - keep um coming especially when you get your HS .

Figure of speech of course but the energy involved sometimes makes me wonder :)   Thanks Stash will do.

5 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Hi Karl,

Great set of images.  I think you will love Hyperstar.  Your .5 reducer works very well, too.  If you want .7, just shorten the length between the reducer and sensor. HS and the .5 reducer will compliment each other to give a nice range of focal length and FOV.  Can't wait to see your HS captures.

Don

Thanks Don and I'm looking forward to it.   The .7 is not really needed but it is the only one Celestron do specifically for the Edge scopes.  I may look at that at a later date.

Archived